Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dashcam installed Today

Views : 16007

Replies : 160

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2017, 15:34   #21
gaby
Premier Member

Has anyone tried to connect it to 12V in the box behind the rearview mirror?
Surely there must be power supply in there.

Last edited by gaby; Mar 4th, 2017 at 17:54.
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 17:45   #22
S60Chris
Master Member

AS requested, some footage straight from the camera at original 1440p Res (rather than processed through iMovie) - Night & Day. Camera updated to latest firmware too.

Ps crank the quality up to max - it will start playing in a really low res and looks terrible.

Night:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

https://youtu.be/4QNpFPKOOAU

Day:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

https://youtu.be/7csQi3vW9-Y

Last edited by S60Chris; Mar 4th, 2017 at 18:04.
S60Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 18:23   #23
Razer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozza View Post
I've been using front and rear cameras from day one. Self fitted. Fuse taps in fuse box under glovebox/kick panel for front camera, fuse taps in fuse box in cargo area for rear camera.

Whats fuse number are you tapping into?
MY05 - S60 D5 SE (2006-2009)

Last edited by Razer; Mar 4th, 2017 at 18:25.
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 19:04   #24
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Has anyone tried to connect it to 12V in the box behind the rearview mirror?
A problem with some dashcams is that stray RF from them finds its way into the 12v feed cable which then finds its way into other nearby electronics. The stray RF can also get radiated because the power cable acts as an antenna which is why some people report problems with DAB reception (in particular) when their dashcam is on.

So it might not be a good idea to power a dashcam from a feed that also directly powers the Intellisafe electronics, just in case.
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 21:35   #25
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
A problem with some dashcams is that stray RF from them finds its way into the 12v feed cable which then finds its way into other nearby electronics. The stray RF can also get radiated because the power cable acts as an antenna which is why some people report problems with DAB reception (in particular) when their dashcam is on.

So it might not be a good idea to power a dashcam from a feed that also directly powers the Intellisafe electronics, just in case.
In my last car, a leased Lexus, the DAB reception was useless almost from day 1 of it being new. The someone on the Lexus forum suggested that the problem could be with the 12v ciggy socket. My dashcam was utilising the socket, so I unplugged it.

Guess what: DAB reception excellent. Unfortunately for me, this was right at the end of the lease, so I never got to enjoy it............

The Volvo doesn't have DAB, and I piggy backed the dashcam power direct from the fuse box, so the problem didn't arise.
Old Mar 4th, 2017, 21:45   #26
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxlin View Post
In my last car, a leased Lexus, the DAB reception was useless almost from day 1 of it being new. The someone on the Lexus forum suggested that the problem could be with the 12v ciggy socket. My dashcam was utilising the socket, so I unplugged it.

Guess what: DAB reception excellent. Unfortunately for me, this was right at the end of the lease, so I never got to enjoy it............

The Volvo doesn't have DAB, and I piggy backed the dashcam power direct from the fuse box, so the problem didn't arise.

My new XC90 certainly does have DAB and all the electronic 'toys'. The dash cam is hard wired to the fusebox and I can connect my phone to it through the camera's wi-fi. No issues whatsoever so far with interference of any kind at any time.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 00:48   #27
Lozza
Events occur in real time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer View Post
Whats fuse number are you tapping into?
From memory (as I really can't be arsed to pull back the carpet and remove the the tight-as-hell fuse box cover), it was number 23, 'USB in tunnel console'
5 amp for the front camera.

For the rear camera I used fuse number 21 'Parking Camera' 5 amp.

Read your manual and find an appropriate fuse to use if the ones I used do not feature in your vehicle.
Avoid sharing with safety critical functions such as pre tensioners/airbags.
2005 S40 2.0D SE (Sold)
Lozza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lozza For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 15:23   #28
Usualwill

Our local Volvo dealer was offering a deal of dashcam installation so I contacted them to see if it could be fitted to the XC90. They checked with Volvo UK who responded that no dashcam should be fitted as it can interfere with the safety system. I personally don't know how it would interfere but decided to err on the side of caution and not install one. I can't think why Volvo would say they can't be installed without good reason.
Usualwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 16:25   #29
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usualwill View Post
Our local Volvo dealer was offering a deal of dashcam installation so I contacted them to see if it could be fitted to the XC90. They checked with Volvo UK who responded that no dashcam should be fitted as it can interfere with the safety system. I personally don't know how it would interfere but decided to err on the side of caution and not install one. I can't think why Volvo would say they can't be installed without good reason.
Sounds like nonsense to me. All my active systems work perfectly with the camera. It'll be no good for a heck of a lot of businesses and official duties, like the police service if electronic and electrical devices like cameras can't be fitted to it. Fact is, they can be of course. So can wi-fi, bluetooth, wired and unconnected devices of all kinds.

Tell your dealer to pull the other one. It's surely got bells on.

When I asked my dealer to fit mine, they mentioned their own deal. It was around £300 for a Blackview or something, which was hideously bulky, so we all said "forget it". They fitted my Goluk camera with no quibble.

Last edited by Quacker; Mar 5th, 2017 at 16:27.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2017, 17:24   #30
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post

I assume that electronics and wiring in a heavily polluted and networked environment as a car is quite
insensitive to EMI. Electronic equipment certainly can "throw back" high frequency singnals, but that is
often caused by switching power supplies and they are probably not used in a DC environment. Power
cables have anttena properties, but the longer the cable, the more effiecient the antenna can be. I have
read about City Safety mishaps, but I haven't yet read conclusive reports saying dashcams are to blame.

Last edited by gaby; Mar 5th, 2017 at 17:30.
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote