Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Polestar I couldn't resist.

Views : 11508

Replies : 138

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2017, 17:26   #131
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
We say this over and over again I know, but it just makes me grumpy when I think about this. I've just had a look at the optimisation page for my 2017 D5. There seems no drawbacks in having the optimisation, economy remains the same, co2 emissions remain the same, on paper performance improvement is negligible. But as I understand it, paying £600+ will prevent the car from doing that nasty jolt when you coat up to a roundabout, see the way is clear, put your foot down and the car finds itself in too lower gear, so you get that jolt as it over revs slightly and then changes up a gear.

As far as I am concerned Polestar is a fix for a slightly poorly implemented gearbox / engine mapping, not a sportier optimisation which some people would prefer over comfort.

Parvez78 - how has it been after having polskar removed, are you disappointed at all?

:wq
I have the "jolt+Psycho overrev+shift up straight away" in slow corners even with polestar. I thought it was better originally but I had so many fixes and updates applied since that it feels really bad now. My dealer tec told me that they can see if polestar is there and it can't be overwritten but I could swear my gearbox wasn't this bad. Can polestar people confirm this definitely goes. I would ask them to remove and reapply then.
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 20:54   #132
Parvez78

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
We say this over and over again I know, but it just makes me grumpy when I think about this. I've just had a look at the optimisation page for my 2017 D5. There seems no drawbacks in having the optimisation, economy remains the same, co2 emissions remain the same, on paper performance improvement is negligible. But as I understand it, paying £600+ will prevent the car from doing that nasty jolt when you coat up to a roundabout, see the way is clear, put your foot down and the car finds itself in too lower gear, so you get that jolt as it over revs slightly and then changes up a gear.

As far as I am concerned Polestar is a fix for a slightly poorly implemented gearbox / engine mapping, not a sportier optimisation which some people would prefer over comfort.

Parvez78 - how has it been after having polskar removed, are you disappointed at all?

:wq
It's been fine as I couldn't really see/feel benefit of polestar.. happy to have 635 quid back in my pocket lol
Parvez78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 22:12   #133
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deman77 View Post
I have the "jolt+Psycho overrev+shift up straight away" in slow corners even with polestar. I thought it was better originally but I had so many fixes and updates applied since that it feels really bad now. My dealer tec told me that they can see if polestar is there and it can't be overwritten but I could swear my gearbox wasn't this bad. Can polestar people confirm this definitely goes. I would ask them to remove and reapply then.
As the Volvo Geartronic software has a built in learning mode that adapts to your own personal driving style over time, I would be tempted to ask your dealer to reset that module’s software back to default.......and then see how it drives.
Old Nov 10th, 2017, 22:16   #134
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
As the Volvo Geartronic software has a built in learning mode that adapts to your own personal driving style over time, I would be tempted to ask your dealer to reset that module’s software back to default.......and then see how it drives.
That's what the tec suggested. Hopefully it works.
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 13:32   #135
Deman77
Master Member

Mine came back with gearbox reset and it made a big difference in slow corners and roundabouts. It definitely does not dawdle when I'm slowing down and engages the gear sooner. The mega jolt and overrev is still there when I rapidly break and briefly stop into t-junction then go 80% acceleration.
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 12:07   #136
Jcbrown

Finally got round to phoning my insurance about the Polestar Optimisation. I know, I know, I should have done it either when I got it done, or at the very latest when I had accepted it (i.e. after the 14 days), but work, family, life in general has got in the way.

£16 admin fee - no change to policy or cost. Happy
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 07:04   #137
Mugglebeard

Smile

Picking up my new V90 CC Pro D5 this afternoon. I got a quote online from Aviva of £296, obviously very happy with that as the V70 with them is £355. But when I called them to explain that I am getting Polestar installed they checked with the underwriters and told me that the cost is reduced to £285
Mugglebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mugglebeard For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 11:24   #138
KNVXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugglebeard View Post
Picking up my new V90 CC Pro D5 this afternoon. I got a quote online from Aviva of £296, obviously very happy with that as the V70 with them is £355. But when I called them to explain that I am getting Polestar installed they checked with the underwriters and told me that the cost is reduced to £285
Does that mean the standard gear shifting logic is deemed unsafe by insurers?
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Prev: MY02 Mazda 6 TS2
KNVXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27th, 2017, 14:04   #139
Jcbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugglebeard View Post
Reminds me of something a few years ago.

Was renewing wife's insurance, with me as a named driver Existing provider was actually the best offer, so planned on staying with them, but was checking if they could do any better.

Got a revised price, a few £ down. Then they ask "Has anyone's details changed, or any driver had any claims?" Opps, I had not told my wife's insurance about my claim a few months before: A non-fault rear-end which wrote my bike off, full recovered from other drivers insurance.

They plug the details into their systems. "OK, sir the price is [dramatic pause] actually slightly cheaper!"

I burst out laughing, and said "maybe I should go out and have more accidents". To which their straight-laced reply was "We would not advise that sir"