Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swirl flap confusion

Views : 648

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2018, 19:36   #1
Gazdkw
Master Member

Default Swirl flap confusion

I know it's been talked about alot but I'm a little confused.

Is there different swirl flap set ups?

The arm on mine has been hanging since I purchased the car over a year ago. I've decided to try and just buy a new arm and connect it up. The mechanism that connects to the engine seem to be rocking back and forth which would indicate there is movement?

Anyway, the swirl flap arms online are all different. Mine looks like this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283276452289

Is there a way to make sure the entire set up is working ok once I connect the new arm up?
Gazdkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 09:53   #2
nickh1978

I don't have an answer specifically to your questions but:

- the arm connected to the swirl-flaps on my D5 also moves very easily (in the engine block, not the 3-inch arm that connects to the stepper-motor) - I wonder whether the arm has become disconnected from the flaps themselves. Without taking things apart, I am not sure how I check this.

- In terms of seeing whether re-attaching the arm fixes the problem, I have read that on start-up the engine is much smoother and also on acceleration when the swirl-flaps are working (I have no proof here, just what I've read) BUT, I do know that I get an engine management warning light when I go over 3k revs directly related to my lack of working swirl-flaps, so that might be a good indicator?

I will be interested to see if you have any other replies to this one.

Cheers, Nick.
nickh1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 10:11   #3
Gazdkw
Master Member

I'm debating taking it all apart next year and sorting it out.

Not sure how big of a job it is though
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 10:24   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdkw View Post
I know it's been talked about alot but I'm a little confused.

Is there different swirl flap set ups?

The arm on mine has been hanging since I purchased the car over a year ago. I've decided to try and just buy a new arm and connect it up. The mechanism that connects to the engine seem to be rocking back and forth which would indicate there is movement?

Anyway, the swirl flap arms online are all different. Mine looks like this

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283276452289

Is there a way to make sure the entire set up is working ok once I connect the new arm up?
£12 for the link ? a rip off they were £4 when I last changed one ..
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 18:11   #5
dickiemint1312

the arm on mine has been disconnected and the swirl flaps lockwired open for two years. The arm kept coming off even after I tried a new one. Cant say I've noticed any difference in performance and its given no problems or any warning lights and I tow a caravan too. Been all over Europe with no problems.
Its when they are not 'open' it will give engine management lights etc. I obviously do get a fault shows up relating to the motor (because its not connected to anything) if the car is scanned with a diagnostic tool but no running issues etc.
'open' is with the lever pulled toward the front of the car. The lever in the engine does move very easily, like its not connected to anything.

Last edited by dickiemint1312; Dec 19th, 2018 at 18:18.
dickiemint1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 19:16   #6
Gazdkw
Master Member

Well I don't have any performance issues. Shall I just leave it then?
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 20:21   #7
TiredGeek
Master Member

Like Clan says, that's a complete rip off. Go to the stealers, give 'em your chassis number and get the correct part for ~£5

I did a little mod on the last one I fitted as it was a bit loose on the flap end.
I cut along the ball cup to effectively split it down the middle, then drilled a small hole just above the cup for a screw making sure it would fit freely through one side.
Fit it over the ball on the swirl flap end, pull it forward to get access and put a small screw in the hole and tighten. This pulls the cup tight over the ball and opens it slightly down the slot so it now sits tightly on the ball.
Clip the other end on the motor. Hey presto, no more coming off
(I thought I had photos but I can't find them at the mo)

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 07:35   #8
dickiemint1312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdkw View Post
Well I don't have any performance issues. Shall I just leave it then?
as long as the flaps are open i.e. lever pulled forward it shouldn't give you any trouble. volvo do a repair kit which consists if a little pin and star clip. you need to carefully drill a 2mm hole trough the ball and socket. push the pin through and fit the star clip. It didn't work for me so I lock wired through the hole I drilled and secured it round the stud for the engine cover. I wanted to make sure the flaps stayed open because its when they close too much you'll get the limp mode and warning light. I'll get a picture later.

Last edited by dickiemint1312; Dec 20th, 2018 at 07:42.
dickiemint1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2018, 07:40   #9
dickiemint1312

this is the 'repair kit'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swirl-throttle-service-repair-kit-31293291-12423-dv-p.jpg (28.4 KB, 27 views)
Old Dec 28th, 2018, 13:43   #10
Cornish Expat

Default Cheers and links

Just a quick thanks to everyone for posting on here as this thread has save me over £100 for a diagnostic at the dealer during that awkward Christmas new year gap.
Reversing into my driveway on Christmas Eve after a spirited drive home and I got “engine system service urgent message” and the engine started rough running. After calling out the RAC (why pay the garage and hours labour to plug it into a computer) they did a diagnostic which highlighted the swirl flaps, the “technician” then had a brief poke around, couldn’t find them so emailed me the fault code and said try googling it.
10 min on here and I’d worked out the actuator arm was missing. When the dealer opened after Xmas I had the part and the “service kit” by lunchtime. Arm is now installed and the car is back to normal. Started the engine 5 times and the message cleared itself. Now I just need to work out a way to drill the hole for the pin given the restricted access to the butterfly. I’m thinking right angle drill attachment.

For anybody who doesn’t need the part there and then they can be sourced here, and work out about a £1 cheaper than the main dealer. This is for a V50 but the other style arm is available. This also allowed me to give the dealer the part number. As I didn’t order from here I can’t endorse the website.

https://www.volvopartshop.com/volvo-...60-20800-p.asp

https://www.volvopartshop.com/swirl-...91-12423-p.asp
Cornish Expat is offline   Reply With Quote