Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I’m thoroughly p**d off with my Volvo

Views : 728

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2018, 06:05   #1
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Default I’m thoroughly p**d off with my Volvo

Very expensive month....

MOT meant a new brake calliper

A week later, limp mode with EGR valve shot. Fortunately mostly covered by extended warranty.

But this has revealed (I’m told) that turbo waste gate has failed in the open position, (hopefully not) damaging the turbo. Certainly there’s no real problem up to 2000 rpm, but then a big 'misfire' type hesitation, before picking up. But not as free revving as before, nor as much 'go', and definitely much reduced mpg.

TBH, I feel like pushing it into the nearest canal....
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 09:10   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

It does sound rather poorly, 'Baxlin'. Does the warranty also extend to the turbo should a replacement be required? It doesn't negate the inconvenience, but at least you would not then be out of pocket financially.

I realise that, as a first time Volvo owner, this is unlikely to endear you to the marque. We have been more fortunate with our ownership, but then again our newest (current) Volvo is now 18 years old. Maybe older Volvos really were more reliable?

Regards, John.
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 10:45   #3
The Thong
VOC Member

Don’t lose hope, 5hit happens mate. I had a Hdi Berlingo that was brand new that failed continually so your motor at 8yo is just suffering some wear and tear problems. At seven years my V50 had to have the AC, throttle housing and ignition switch fixed, after that it pushed on fine. Don’t sweat it Amigo.

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 11:32   #4
Tamworthbay

It’s not just Volvo, it’s all modern cars. The level of complexity, especially in electronics/ sensors mean that the cost of repairs is very high and the likelihood of something going wrong is higher. Look at the number of Morris Minors on the road then look for cars like Mondeos and Vectras from the early 2000s. There are loads more Minors, not because they didn’t go wrong but because they were cheap and easy to fix. Scrapyards used to be full of rusty wrecks, ow theyare full of immaculate looking cars that are running fine but have failed an MoT on an abs or eml light being on and being uneconomical to repair. It’s such a waste of resources.
Tamworthbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 13:22   #5
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Yep, the warranty covers the Turbo, but only if it’s broken, not 'wear and tear'.

I’m trying not to use the car at the moment, using Mrs B's Nissan, or, if it’s not raining, the three wheeler.......
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 13:54   #6
dingov70
Master Member

Baxlin , if the wastegate has stuck open , you will lack boost pressure as some of the exhaust gas misses the turbine , it will spin freely to zillions of revs as designed to do , you just dont get all the OOMPH

I have seen the problem resolved with freeing off the spindle in the turbo housing / replacing wastegate capsule . An FYI for others , use Febi ceramic grease on turbo links to ensure / reduce chances of seizure of spindle
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 14:23   #7
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingov70 View Post
Baxlin , if the wastegate has stuck open , you will lack boost pressure as some of the exhaust gas misses the turbine , it will spin freely to zillions of revs as designed to do , you just dont get all the OOMPH

I have seen the problem resolved with freeing off the spindle in the turbo housing / replacing wastegate capsule . An FYI for others , use Febi ceramic grease on turbo links to ensure / reduce chances of seizure of spindle
Does this mean the turbo's not necessarily shot then? Is freeing off the spindle/replacing wastegate capsule a diy job on a D3?

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 18:25   #8
kenny
Master Member

How long have you had the car? If you have just bought it give it back tell the dealer to fix it or give you your money back.
Any warranty that covers this and that but not this and that, sounds like an insurance backed one that most dealer give in an effort to get out of their responsibilities. The good news is that these are given in addition to your statutory rights. The consumer rights act, old name was sale of goods act is quite clear. The car must be fit for purpose. Any fault within the first six months is deamed to have been faulty at the time of sale. Over six months you need to prove the fault had started within six months. You should not have had to pay anything towards any repairs.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 18:54   #9
Baxlin
Old Rocker

Had it for two years, so all bets are off, statutory rights-wise. It is an aftermarket warranty, and, tbh, I have had my premiums back with the EGR valve..
The Following User Says Thank You to Baxlin For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2018, 21:29   #10
dingov70
Master Member

If you are competant with spanners , it is not beyond you powers of repair .

My first task after clearing away covers would to GENTLY ! tap the shaft where it goes into the turbo housing with a SMALL ! ! ! ! ! ! hammer . This should break the corrosion bond that has seized the shaft . Lots of light / repeated taps rather than blows . If you can borrow a hand vacuum pump to operate the capsule , so much the better as it saves having to remove the turbo & you can see the linkage move . It is a time consuming job , but othing ventured - nothing gained