Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How To Fit a Volvo x70 Transmission Cooler

Views : 8820

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 21st, 2008, 19:29   #11
dooby
Forum Support Team

Wow, that's pretty different to what I received boxed up as 9499131. (I don't recognise the 005226 bit).

Mine comprised one correct hose, one hose for an AW55-50, 2 jubilee clips and some instructions I think. The bill for the brackets, screws etc. wasn't cheap from my local dealer when I priced them up at lunchtime either.

Bother, looks like I'm ending up doing this the expensive way as usual...

Cheers, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 21:42   #12
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Cheers guys as always.

I must get this job done before the summer.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 11:02   #13
dooby
Forum Support Team

Right, some more information.

The 005226 bit (according to my local dealer) is the job number, so would be different customer to customer.

Next, they called me on Saturday morning to let me know the brackets, bolts and right hose had arrived. So, having fitted it all on Saturday I have a few more tips...

When removing the 12mm bolt holding the radiator to the metal support, I suggest you wire brush it and WD-40 it over night. When I undid the nearside one I sheared the welded 'bolt' off the metalwork, and spent an unpleasant hour with a Dremel removing it all, before having to replace the bolt with a new bolt and non-captive nut...

The other thing, the parts list above is *nearly* correct, except you need _2_ spacers not one - the diagram isn't clear, but there is one each side not just one on the nearside.

So, apart from that it's on, very sturdy and working great. I even managed to re-fit that little bit of grill trim I forgot last time (again with a mild trip past the hacksaw).

Bottom line is Engineer, Swede and others are right and Volvo are wrong - this cooler can and will fit cars with intercoolers, the parts fit like a glove but you do have to hacksaw off a bit of plastic from the air dam of an 850R - can't speak for other cars obviously...

HTH, Pete
Porsche/S60R BBK + XP8s, TD04HL-19T, 17"x8J Pegasus, THS intercooler, custom intake & RIP, Samco coolant, Koni/Nivo H&R, S60R manifold, TT-USB, Simota, IPD turbo back, IPD anti-roll bars & droplinks, IPD HT, MSD coil, Innovate LC-1, dimming mirror, Goodridge hoses, DOT5.1, V70 rear lights & handles, poly top bush & A arms & tie bar, strut brace, clear repeaters, 6k HID, catch tank, 2x rear brace

Old Feb 26th, 2008, 08:22   #14
swede®
Trans builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooby View Post
the parts fit like a glove but you do have to hacksaw off a bit of plastic from the air dam of an 850R - can't speak for other cars obviously...

HTH, Pete
Yes, i had to hacksaw a small piece of my airdam too.......on the right side to clear the cooler pipes.
swede® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 14:28   #15
dooby
Forum Support Team

Hiya,

hopefully last post from me on this, just to add some photos I took at the weekend. No internet access at the time, sorry they're a bit late!

Here's the radiator support mount after an attack with the Dremel:

And that pesky bolt and 'captive' nut (wish it wasn't circular!)

And here you can hopefully see the black bracket shaped like a backwards L, the new hose and just behind the longer bolt, washer and black cylindrical spacer.

Cheers, Pete

Old Feb 27th, 2008, 19:17   #16
Engineer
Rubbing son is racing....

Result Pete, no mods on the P1 required except to the undertray about 2 inches of arch work IIRC.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 19:50   #17
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Nice one. It isn't the first time the stealers have been wrong!!
Old Oct 4th, 2008, 14:42   #18
T-5C70

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooby View Post
Hi Swede,
Volvo's official line was that there were never auto oil coolers made to fit cars with intercoolers, but as I knew at least 2 people had done it I assumed it was possible with some bodging.
I just wanted to add my Auto 98' C70 T5 came (assuming from the factory) with the transmission cooler. Its funny because i really wanted to have one fitted and went under my car to see where it would need to be installed, and to my surprise i already had it

I can upload pics if anyone needs to see how its connected.

Last edited by T-5C70; Oct 4th, 2008 at 14:43. Reason: ...
T-5C70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 19:28   #19
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

In the process of fitting one of these. Did a flush last year (used 15L of JWS3309) and 29000 miles later the ATF is now a very dark burgundy, but not Black. I don't tow or sit in trafiic too much either (When I do i flip to N rathert thatn leave in D) Not quite ready for a another flush, I left it Rose pink, but at the price of this JWS3309 Toyota iV ATF I should do it and have done I think. Got myself a used one off a C70 for £25.00 (Volvo want £240 for he kit) but no hoses so I'll cobble something together. Looks not as simple as it first appears without the 'right' hoses. Cooler has 12mm OD tube with flare cut off whereas V70 has 10mm I/D rubber. I'll see...

Seems these all need a cooler for long-life. Strongly recommend a Magnefine InLine filter too. I cut mine open last week and it has caught some real crud. Sized 3/8" on a V70, I think 1/2" on an 850.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Jan 12th, 2015 at 20:25.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2015, 22:23   #20
byootox
Premier Member

There's no risk of cross contamination with the water with the extra oil cooler either.
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote