Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 R AWD phase 2 (1999/2000) colours

Views : 2099

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2003, 13:36   #1
Gabriel

Default V70 R AWD phase 2 (1999/2000) colours

Having thoroughly enjoyed a V70 2.5T for the last 3 years I have set my heart on replacing it with the latest V70 R AWD auto version there was in the classic style.

Before I spend hours/days/weeks/months searching for the right colour does anyone know what colours were available? I get the feeling that it was only saffron yellow or laser blue.

I'd also be grateful if anyone knows of the whereabouts of any for sale?

Thanks.

By the way I am a club member but don't have my details to hand.

Regards

Gabriel
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 17:34   #2
Neil V70R

Default RE: V70 R AWD phase 2 (1999/2000) colours

Gabriel,

I'm pretty sure the available colours for the 1999/2000 'R' cars were as follows :- Laser Blue, Nautic Blue, Black Stone, Cassis, Silver, Dark Olive and Classic Red.

Laser Blue was the 'R' colour for 1999 and 2000, replacing Saffron that was used in 1997 and 1998.

The 2.4 265bhp cars were also offered with contrasting Grey leather / Beige alcantara trim as well as either all grey or all beige.

I have a 1999 2.3 250bhp R-AWD, and would definately advise you to go for one of the 2.4 versions. 15 bhp doesn't sound alot but the 2.4's have an extra 50nm of torque and a 5-speed auto instead of 4-speed fitted to the earlier cars. These cars weigh about 175kgs more than a V70 T-5, and also have more transmission losses through the AWD, so even though they wear an 'R' badge they are actually slower than a normal T-5.

The plus side is that they can put all the power down even in the wet, something which can't be said of the FWD T-5's & R's. Handling is also superior to the FWD cars with noticably better turn-in.

Make sure any AWD you look at has all tyres of the same make, type, size and tread depth +/- 1mm. This is important, and can result in costly failure of the transmission if ignored.

Hope this helps

Neil
Old Jul 14th, 2003, 21:08   #3
Gabriel

Thats excellent, thanks Neil, I can now hold out for a red or cassis. Greatly appreciated.

I have to say in my current car I find the occaisonal wheel spin from slow starts suprising, especially as I have TRACS, but it seems this is standard with other V70 drivers.

Cheers

Gabriel
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 23:42   #4
britten_mark

Hello

I was going to post a similar message myself, as although I have owned my 850 T5 for a couple of years now, and always fancied a V70R AWD, I have only just become aware of the "series 2" version.

I saw a couple of AMAZING laser blue examples on Autotrader recently, and decided I must have one one day. Can anyone tell me what the "phase 2" variants had over the earlier verions?? My T5 is worth say £5k, I've seen V70R AWDs for around £10k, but these phase 2s seem to be around £15k. Are they really worth 3 T5s?? How many phase 2s are there to choose from in the UK? I haven't seen a single one.

Cheers
Mark
britten_mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 10:09   #5
Neil V70R

Mark,

There were 3 phases of R-AWD produced between 1997 and 2000:-

Phase 1 :- were produced in 1997 and 1998 (P - S reg)and were available with either the B5234T-4 engine (18T turbo 250bhp/350nm)and 5-speed manual gearbox or the B5234T-6 engine (16T turbo 240bhp/310nm) and 4-speed 3 mode automatic gearbox. Both engines used the Motronic 4.4 engine management system. (0-60 7.3/8.1, 152/143mph)

Phase 2 :- were produced in 1999 (S - T reg) and were only available with the B5234T-8 engine (18T turbo 250bhp/310nm) and 4-speed adaptive automatic gearbox. These cars use the ME7 engine management system with fly by wire throttle and variable exhaust camshaft. (0-60 7.8 143mph)

Phase 3 :- were produced in 1999 and early 2000 (T - W reg) and were only available with the B5244RT ? engine (19T turbo 265bhp/350nm) and 5-speed adaptive automatic gearbox. These also use the ME7 engine management system as with the phase 2 cars. These cars were fitted with twin tail pipes and vented disc's all-round (0-60 7.3 152mph)

Trim and spec levels remained virtually un-changed through out the 3 phases. Trim was Leather and Alcantara in either Beige or Grey with aluminium effect trim on the dash and console (dark wood was an option). On phase 1 cars the steering wheel was also leather/alcantara, but phase 2 and 3 had a thicker rimmed leather only wheel. Phase 3 cars had the option of contrasting grey/beige trim. These cars were virtually "fully-loaded" with very few options available (mainly pro-logic, 6 cd changer, sat-nav) as they cost about £37,000 when new!! Phase 3 front seats had "whips" system fitted.

All phases were available with either 16" or 17" wheels in either silver or anthracite finish with temp spare wheel.

The colours available were I think as follows :-

Phase 1 :- Saffron, Black Stone, Nautic Blue, Silver, Regency Red?

Phase 2 :- Lazer Blue, Black Stone, Nautic Blue, Silver, Cassis, Classic Red, Dark Olive

Phase 3 :- as per phase 2

I hope this helps you. All the R-cars are desirable but the up keep costs can be frightening (especially fuel and tyres), but the R-AWD's have the added complication of a somewhat fragile AWD system that requires a mechanically sympathic and understanding owner, to avoid big bills.

Neil.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 10:44   #6
George Holmer

"Make sure any AWD you look at has all tyres of the same make, type, size and tread depth +/- 1mm. This is important, and can result in costly failure of the transmission if ignored."

"All phases were available .... with temp spare wheel."

Somehow, this does not make any sense!

George

[link:www.ttsservices.co.uk/my%20volvos.htm|http://www.ttsservices.co.uk/My%20car.JPG]

'95 940 Polar LPT (B230FK/AW88; 120k)
'92 940 SE Turbo (B200FT/M46; 143k)
'87 740 GLE Turbo Diesel Intercooler (D24TIC/ZF22; 200k)
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 11:39   #7
burchi

Hi All

The level of information that flows around this forum is exceptional to say the least. Having only recently become a member of the VOC, it's good to know any problems/queries I may have will probably have been seen already by someone. Anyway, I digress.

I thought I would let you know that I have been made aware of a Lazer Blue T plate V70 R AWD that will come to the market in the near future. Apparantly it is immaculate with ONLY 34,000 miles on it. I have a 1998 R AWD already or else I'd go for it!

I think it will be about £15/16,000. If anyone here is interested in this, let me know and I'll see what I can find out.

All the best

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 12:28   #8
britten_mark

Hi Neil

I don't want to hijack Gabriel's thread, so I'll thank you for the info, and post any other queries separately. These must be rare beasties; I can't recall seeing one in any colour (I wonder what on earth "cassis is?), although I do hail from the poverty-stricken North-East!! By contrast I see loads of early cars (phase 1s as I am now educated!) usually in silver. Saw 3 in one day the other week.

I am surprised to hear about the 4WD system being fragile, as I have such faith in the integrity of the rest of these vehicles. I once owned a Calibra Turbo, which again warned of running more than +/- 1mm of tread, which frightened me silly on £100+ tyres. Also recommended changing full sets, so I only kept it for a year! By contrast Audi's 4WD system allegedly made no such demands, and I would have thought as a direct competitor Volvo would have a similarly tough system. Don'y get me wrong, I am gentle with my cars, but you never know what the last bloke has done do you?
Cheers for now
Mark

PS Does anyone have some nice photos of these cars, unofficial or official, or recommend a website where they can be found??
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 12:31   #9
britten_mark

Hi Ian
I would be very interested, but I have recently spent all my money (atually my equity!) on a Lotus. Not sure if finances could stretch further, but if it was exceptional and I could find a home for my T5 you never know. Is this a friends car that you can impart some personal knowledge about, or would you be able to put me in touch with the owner?
Cheers
Mark

PS Is this one of the series 3 cars with the 5-speed auto that Neil explained?
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 13:07   #10
burchi

Hi Mark

This is a car that I have been told about by the guy that does all the technical stuff on my car that is beyond my meagre knowledge!

It is a car that he has looked after for the owner and he speaks very highly of it. The good thing is he is a straight talking guy and you get no bullsh!t from him. I am seeing him later so, I will ask for more details and timescales and will let you know.

Regards

2003 ('53 reg) V70 R Manual.
Ferrita 3" Downpipe & Sport CAT, HEICO Sport Exhaust with Quad Tips!

Sold but not forgotten....
1998 Saffron V70 R AWD Manual
RICA 310 Chip, SAMCO Hoses, S/Steel Exhaust with 2 x 4" Outlets, OEM Strut Brace, Dynaudio Premium Upgrade, K&N Panel Filter
burchi is offline   Reply With Quote