Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Who has replaced a SC901

Views : 21167

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2008, 12:21   #11
JimmyC

I found the pinout information here http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/....asp?TID=91793

To save you linking it is:
==============================
The pinouts to the amp are:
1 = Front Right
2 = Front Left
3 = Rear Right
4 = Ground
5 = Rear Left
6 = Amp Sense - 12V

To be clear, the pin numbering matches the female connector (radio). Pin 1 is at 2 o'clock, pin numbers increase by going clockwise until pin 5 at 10 o'clock, with pin 6 in the center.
==============================

I actually made my cable wrong to begin with!! I got the AmpSense in the right place (the centre) but rather than going "clockwise" I went "anticlockwise". This was easily diagnosed, by sending the radio sound to each speaker in turn, and wondering why it was coming out the wrong speaker! As long as you don't send the Ampsense to a speaker you won't blow anything up!

Further to my posting at the top of this thread, I did send my Nokia car kit through the centre dash speaker. I did this simply by taking a standard mono 3.5mm headfone cable (like the nokia kit uses for its speaker) and connecting it to the + and - terminals on that green connector. It works REALLY well (since the centre speaker bounces sound off the windscreen to fill the car) even with the roof off.

Hope that helps (and good to see these forums back)
Was 1998 V70 T5
JimmyC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyC For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 12:41   #12
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Thanks for that. Quick pop into maplin and I'll get the adaptor made up tonight.

Cheers
Ryan
Old Aug 29th, 2008, 13:04   #13
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Ok, this may be a daft question but on the rca connectors, did you run a single feed to the centre pin or run the feed to the centre and a shared ground?
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 16:36   #14
JimmyC

ooops sorry, missed that message (hope you read this before you blow anything up).

The RCA's will have a signal (the centre bit) and a ground (the shield bit). The centre bit should be connected to the pin on the DIN plug that correlates wtih the speaker that you want that sound to come out of. The grounds should all be connected up together.

Now.. there are A LOT of ground leads involved here.
We've just dealt with the grounds for the RCA's. Once I'd connected them all together, I then put ANOTHER wire into this bundle and left it loose (you'll see why in a minute).

There is also the GROUND wire that comes from the AMP (pin 4 in the DIN). Connect a spare wire to that and leave it loose.

There is also the GROUND that is the Shielding to your DIN plug. Connect a spare wire to that and leave it loose.

You will now have 3 "ground" wires hanging around, not connected to anything. Depending upon your Headunit, you'll have to connect one, none, or some of these wires to the headunit to produce a nice ground (and remove any background humm from the speakers). Trouble is, I can't remember which it was that I had to do.. I know I have one of them screwed to the back of my kenwood... but can't recall whether it was the second or third from the above list.

The AMP Sense wire needs to be hooked into one of the wires in your car that is linked to the ignition. The idea is that you want power going into the AMP when the ignition is on, but when you take the keys out, the AMP turns off. My Kenwood had a wire ready and waiting for this.

Hopefully the attached PNG image will show you the RCA to DIN cable required?
Attached Images
File Type: png rca2vol.png (56.7 KB, 111 views)
Was 1998 V70 T5
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 17:56   #15
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Hi Jimmy,

From your other post, my housemate (who is an audio guy), wired up an adapter using signal wire, 4 rcas and a 6 pin plug. Cost about £10 from maplins.

The grounds are connected within the adapter but nothing more than that. It seems sony headunits dont require it to be. Mind you, mine was a high end up about 4 years ago.

Hooked up the rcas into the two front and rear pre outs, plug in the din plug to the amp wire and hooked the amp sense wire to the remote amp signal wire from the headunit. I already had the wiring loom adapter from halfords for an 850 with works fine in a c70 to provide power, grounds etc as well as the electric aerial signal.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 18:49   #16
JimmyC

Cool, glad to have helped.
Was 1998 V70 T5
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 21:31   #17
davetappc70

hi i have sc 901 how could i put in an ipod adaptor as i like the head unit but want to plug my ipod in
davetappc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 08:43   #18
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

do a search on ebay as there are adapters that plug into the cd changer control on the back of the headunit. These provide a 3.5mm head phone connector that you can use on a ipod or mp3 player. Last time I looked, they go for about £50-60 on ebay.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 10:04   #19
nosuchuser

I bought one of these:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=852

works a treat. the white box is wedged up on the lhs of the head unit and the ipod lead runs under the centre console and comes out by the passenger seat.

It plugs into the cd changer port...

do a search for PA11-HON
nosuchuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2008, 16:23   #20
jpalmeida

Hi Jimmy!
Do have any solution to connect a mp3 player to the CD changer connector?
My radio has it written- VOLVO 3533962-1 but the pictures you postted are the same.
Any help would be cool.
Thanks in advance.
Joao Pedro
jpalmeida is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jpalmeida For This Useful Post: