Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 850 Air Box Mod - Seriously GREAT Sound

Views : 13675

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2009, 04:32   #11
Volgrrr
Volgrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInBlack View Post
To increase cooler airflow... Why don't I add the front pipe that goes from the air box to the front grill?
I am sure this would increase cooler airflow to the 'holy' airbox.

What do you think?
I know this is going slightly off at a tangent but while we're talking about the the cooling pipe to the air box, does any one know where I can get the first section of the pipe that fits into the square hole adjacent to the radiator (mine is a '95 T5 wagon)?

The reason I need one is this. Sometime ago, my car was in a garage having work done on the a/c and the fools, for some unknown reason, took this pipe off, and succeeded in losing it.

I've kept an eye on eBay (U.S, U.K & Australia) and have never seen one listed.

I'll gladly pay for it and the cost of getting it to Australia if anyone knows where one of these is for sale.

Thanks - now back onto topic.
Volgrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:02   #12
captain sensible
Bitty?

pssst........................dude, I have a spare K & N, sucky sucky 20 dollar, it love you long time.................
used to own:95&96 850 t5,Sumex Cone, Bailey DV, Reverse IC, IPD top mount, Ferrita cat back, forge blanking plate, strut brace, drilled/groovy disks, 350cc@3 bar blue tops, lowered, bilstein HD's front and rear.AlanM rear strut brace
captain sensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:27   #13
BackInBlack

Cool Dumb Idea

I guess I will replace the Y piece & pipe ducting to the front grill. I will tape up the holes with strong duct tape for now (till I get a new bottom box).

Everyone clearly feels my engine will cry all night over this daft mod.

Stock must be best after all... Trust me to take the long route to figure this one out!!!
BackInBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:30   #14
BackInBlack

Red face

Right.... Who has a bottom air box for sale? Volvo 850 SE 1993/4 2.0 Non-Turbo.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:16   #15
BackInBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario850 View Post
hi there sorry to s**t on your parade but you will def of lost power volvo spent thousends if not millions on designing this car to get the best performance/economy ratings and you go and waste all of there time by drilling loads of so**ng holes in the air box

i have a 855 2.0 N/A and i too cut the snow gaurd to allow better flow into the air box and that worked really well better throttle response and i dont suffer from water in it so its all good

to be honest i would have just got a sports panel filter banged that in and to get a better growl just fit a polly top mount and you get all the growl you will ever want
So from what you said (quoted in RED) I would be safe re-connecting my air box to front grill ducting?

The only reason why I removed the ducting is because of water getting into the snorkel/filter (I have removed my snow-guard too). BUT if you haven't had any water issues and still have the stock setup (with snowguard cut off) I guess I will replace the ducting.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:47   #16
s.hammond
VOC Member

Quote:
So from what you said (quoted in RED) I would be safe re-connecting my air box to front grill ducting?

The only reason why I removed the ducting is because of water getting into the snorkel/filter (I have removed my snow-guard too). BUT if you haven't had any water issues and still have the stock setup (with snowguard cut off) I guess I will replace the ducting.
you should be o.k, water only be an issue if you plough into a ford or flooding.
i've removed my snow sheild and put in a pipercross filter with great effect.

although the holes in the airbox have been proven to work by the maxpower boys as it allows more air into the engine but you have to drill the holes furthest away from the engine to avoid heat soak i.e pointing at the inner wing, yes the air intake has been designed with maximum performance and economy but there have been restrictions put place to satisfy regulations.

cheers.

p.s fastford tried this on a 1.8 ford focus on a rolling road with various methods and found that a panel filter with a drilled airbox gave best power and torque gains compared to an induction kit!
00 Peugeot 306 1.4i LX
s.hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s.hammond For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:11   #17
BackInBlack

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.hammond View Post
you should be o.k, water only be an issue if you plough into a ford or flooding.
i've removed my snow sheild and put in a pipercross filter with great effect.

although the holes in the airbox have been proven to work by the maxpower boys as it allows more air into the engine but you have to drill the holes furthest away from the engine to avoid heat soak i.e pointing at the inner wing, yes the air intake has been designed with maximum performance and economy but there have been restrictions put place to satisfy regulations.

cheers.

p.s fastford tried this on a 1.8 ford focus on a rolling road with various methods and found that a panel filter with a drilled airbox gave best power and torque gains compared to an induction kit!

Thank you

Most people here might think I just randomly cut holes in my airbox but I did read a hell of a lot on the net about this mod and have actually read that fastford mod before as well. Some where on the net someone else has done the mod I have done on their 850 as well but they cut less holes and the holes were only located on the bottoms of the air box & they were small holes not large.

I will reattach the front air pipe for cooler air and tape up any hole nearest the engine/exhaust and I think I'll be sorted.

Thank again for your positive reply. It really helped alot

Thanks s.hammond

Rich
The Following User Says Thank You to BackInBlack For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2009, 13:30   #18
s.hammond
VOC Member

Quote:
Thank you

Most people here might think I just randomly cut holes in my airbox but I did read a hell of a lot on the net about this mod and have actually read that fastford mod before as well. Some where on the net someone else has done the mod I have done on their 850 as well but they cut less holes and the holes were only located on the bottoms of the air box & they were small holes not large.

I will reattach the front air pipe for cooler air and tape up any hole nearest the engine/exhaust and I think I'll be sorted.

Thank again for your positive reply. It really helped alot

Thanks s.hammond

Rich
unfortunately there is alot of scepticism when comes to performance mods my mechanic was the same until i'd prove him wrong! also putting the holes under the airbox means it sucks in low pressure air which is dense and cold, that's why later american muscle cars have thier air scoops pointing at the windscreen i.e 1970's pontiac trans ams 6.6 turbo, becuase the air pressure there is lower.

and keep going with the 2.0ltr like me i'ts more the noise than out an out performance and some of us need to keep the lesser models going!
00 Peugeot 306 1.4i LX
s.hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to s.hammond For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2009, 13:38   #19
BackInBlack

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.hammond View Post
unfortunately there is alot of scepticism when comes to performance mods my mechanic was the same until i'd prove him wrong! also putting the holes under the airbox means it sucks in low pressure air which is dense and cold, that's why later american muscle cars have thier air scoops pointing at the windscreen i.e 1970's pontiac trans ams 6.6 turbo, becuase the air pressure there is lower.

and keep going with the 2.0ltr like me i'ts more the noise than out an out performance and some of us need to keep the lesser models going!

I like your style:
The Following User Says Thank You to BackInBlack For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2009, 16:23   #20
mario850
Vovlo lover

you see the way i am looking at it is if you have cut the snow gaurd away in the same way as in i now get the air being forced down the air pipe like a ram air and have noticed as its topend is better than before so cutting holes in the air box when the snow gaurd is cut away will just cause the air being forced in to escape through the holes rather than being forced in to the engine see my point
Past-> L Reg 945 2.0 HPT Wentworth.
mario850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mario850 For This Useful Post:

Tags
850, airbox, holes, induction, mod