Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warning lights on

Views : 1437

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 11:19   #1
CARPMAN

Default Warning lights on

Over the past few weeks my TRACS/ABS warning lights have been coming on . When I first start up in the morning they come on until I go out of my driveway and turn sharp left then they go out. However this only lasts for a short while then they come on again.

Reading some of the threads on the forum it was suggested that to try wiggling the key in the ignition whilst the engine is running. this I did this morning and low and behold the lights went out and so far have stayed out.

Can anybody enlighten me as to what the problem is and if it is serious or just a loose connection. Will the lights now stay out? Does it mean that the ABS system is working OK or not.

Many Thanks
CARPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:00   #2
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=54629
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:13   #3
CARPMAN

Default TRACS/ABS warning lights

Thanks Chris for the info. The solution looks fairly straightforward will give it a go.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 16:46   #4
CARPMAN

I have today replaced the electrical portion of the ignition switch on my 1997
20 valve V70 automatic following the proceedure shown on the link listed.

However allthough the ignition switch seems more positive the ABS/TRACS warning light still comes on sometimes when I first start up. It however usually goes out almost straightaway when I turn the first sharp left hand corner. Its then stays out for a while sometimes for miles and sometimes only a short distance.

I did notice today that It came on after about 5 miles when I braked and felt a very slight shudder through the brake pedal. This didnt happen again allthough the light stayed on until I turned the car off.

The only thing that might have some bearing on this is the fact That prior to the ABS/TRACS warning light first appearing I changed both wishbone assemblies and had to hammer out the ball joint pinch bolt on the off side as it was ceased.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what to do next to cure this.

Thank you
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 18:35   #5
kevinbis
VOC Member

I had trouble with solder joints in ECU and sorted it out as explained in this link.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=7414
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 18:50   #6
big radius

i had similar trouble so what i did was with the ingition on i put a multi meter across both terminals of each abs sensor and tested by jacking up the wheel to be tested and rotating the wheel.
what you should see is the voltage flick from 9v to 10v if the voltage does not change you have a faulty sensor.

one of my rear sensors stuck at 10v and a pair of rear sensors later (as they come as a pair on the rear) all is well hope this helps

kev
big radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 21:06   #7
CARPMAN

Default TRACS/ABS warning light

Many thanks for the suggestions. If it turns out to be the ABS control Unit is this situated under the ABS Modulator if so is it easy to remove and do you as it says in the Haynes Manual have to drain the whole Hydraulic brake fluid system and them remove it complete with the modulator.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 21:53   #8
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

No follow the info here:

http://home.earthlink.net/~vicrocha/

and here:

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=72655
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17th, 2010, 18:30   #9
vilda hilda

Default ABS and TRACS lights on

Hi guys, thank you for the very detailed "how to fix ABS and TRACS" lights. I followed the instructions and resoldered the ABS control box and yes it works fine now and got a clean MOT sheet as a result.
vilda hilda is offline   Reply With Quote