Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 (2008) Volvo towbar – a cautionary tale

Views : 1272

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2017, 22:03   #1
hymerbeliever

Default XC70 (2008) Volvo towbar – a cautionary tale

This is a story of what might have happened – Volvo fitted towbars don’t break off the back of Volvos, do they?

I have owned my XC70 (2008) since 2012. I bought it from a now defunct Volvo dealership in Lincoln. When purchased, a Volvo fixed towbar was already fitted to the vehicle. I have enjoyed six years of caravanning since then, towing to the Med or Northern Italy each summer and touring all over the UK, too. I tow pretty light at about 1300kg loaded, with a noseweight of around 75kg. I have had no incidents when towing. I drive over speedbumps like a snail!

When I detached my caravan after my last trip a couple of weeks ago, I was surprised to notice vertical movement of the towball as I lifted the van on the jockey wheel. The towbar was loose. I could lift it easily with one hand. I took it to my independent Volvo mechanic. He took a look underneath and told me that two of the four securing bolts were missing. There are two bolts each side, behind the rear wheels, connecting bar to chassis. Further investigation of the one visible missing bolthole showed that the bolt had recently sheared. The stub of it was still in the thread.

New fixing kit ordered (£56 inc vat!), and a dismantle and repair undertaken. The other bolt hadn’t sheared. It had fallen out and was living above the exhaust on a heat shield.

On the plus side, the caravan and towbar hadn’t detached during our last trip home. On the down side, I am £150 poorer, and I am shocked by what could have happened. How can this be? Was the towbar fitted incorrectly in 2008 – wrong torque, or just not tightened up at all? Does this mean we should all be checking those fixings every year? Two of them are behind the exhaust silencer, so that doesn’t look a likely prospect.

Does this mean anyone with a Volvo and Volvo towbar has something else to worry about? Or is everyone checking this anyway, and I missed the memo?

Oddly, when I spoke to Volvo parts, the guy said that he had spoken to ‘a technician’ about my case and that I should watch out because the bolts might have sheared. Is this a known problem, then? Anyone had a similar experience?
hymerbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hymerbeliever For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 18:56   #2
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

That's really not good and I can imagine it has damaged your confidence significantly.

I would suggest that the tow bar was incorrectly fitted, it sounds like the technician has used air tools and sheared one of the bolts, and then not tightened the remaining ones.

Bolts that size would only shear under tension, not shear forces (i.e. stretching from over tightening, not slicing...)
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 20:42   #3
Whyman
Premier Member

It sounds as though you have had a lucky escape.

It is good advice to check that the bolts are tight but you cannot always get at all of them but check those that you can.
Usually once fitted the bolts rust in place and are very difficult to remove after a few years.

Having said that I have only done it once in many years of towing.

As Tannaton has said they were probably either over or under tightened when first fitted.
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 10:41   #4
hymerbeliever

Default Thanks!

Thanks for your comments. Yes, a bizarre combination of overtightening and not tightening at all seems to have put me in danger years down the road. Looking at the old bolts, they are not a matching set of four, so some messing about has gone on at some point.

All fixed now, so I’ll have to get my confidence back in my trusty rig - it is a brilliant tow car.
hymerbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2017, 18:13   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Guess what I shall be doing before I next hitch the van.
Thanks for the heads up.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 09:30   #6
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Lucky escape!
Steel bolts don't corrode, BUT some cheap stainless bolts can fatigue crack and real bad far Eastern stainless bolts will even shear off if over stressed or torqued.
The solution is real Volvo Carbon steel nuts and bolts Locktited or nutted!

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:

Tags
safety, tow bar fitting, towbar, xc70