Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

QuestionEngline Loom XC70 D5 185BHP

Views : 1196

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2017, 20:38   #1
fahvernugen

Default QuestionEngline Loom XC70 D5 185BHP

Hi,

I've been told that my 2006 D5 185BHP Engine Loom has failed/broken down and needs replacing.

I'm not really in the market to purchase a new one from Volvo as price is prohibitive.

I've been looking for a second hand one, and I'm assuming the 2003-2006 XC70 is a MK2 version?

The engine loom I have my eye on is apparently for:

2005- 2008 Volvo V70 S60 XC90 2.4d 185 D5 engine wiring loom:
- Volvo V70 / XC70 mk2 with second generation D5 engine 2005-2006 on this model,
- or, 2005-2008 on S60

That means if the seller is correct it will fit my Car?

BTW the symptoms I had with my car were a slight missfire which progressively got worse, and put the engine and gearbox into "Limp" mode. The dealer took it in and said the wiring loom was breaking down and that they had patched it up and they did not know how long it would last. (I now read.. We reset the fault codes away you go) they said the missfire was on Cylinder 2.

I also had all the Tappets done in April too

This car has been awesome, 199,000 miles on it and gutted to have to get rid of it because of this

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Best Regards

--Roger
fahvernugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 23:02   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahvernugen View Post
Hi,

I've been told that my 2006 D5 185BHP Engine Loom has failed/broken down and needs replacing.

I'm not really in the market to purchase a new one from Volvo as price is prohibitive.

I've been looking for a second hand one, and I'm assuming the 2003-2006 XC70 is a MK2 version?

The engine loom I have my eye on is apparently for:

2005- 2008 Volvo V70 S60 XC90 2.4d 185 D5 engine wiring loom:
- Volvo V70 / XC70 mk2 with second generation D5 engine 2005-2006 on this model,
- or, 2005-2008 on S60

That means if the seller is correct it will fit my Car?

BTW the symptoms I had with my car were a slight missfire which progressively got worse, and put the engine and gearbox into "Limp" mode. The dealer took it in and said the wiring loom was breaking down and that they had patched it up and they did not know how long it would last. (I now read.. We reset the fault codes away you go) they said the missfire was on Cylinder 2.

I also had all the Tappets done in April too

This car has been awesome, 199,000 miles on it and gutted to have to get rid of it because of this

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Best Regards

--Roger
There are repair terminals available from volvo to repair any plug or socket , and a broken wire is simple to repair ..
The Injector plug terminals are favourite , why not replace those on cylinder 2 for a start ?
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 10:07   #3
fahvernugen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There are repair terminals available from volvo to repair any plug or socket , and a broken wire is simple to repair ..
The Injector plug terminals are favourite , why not replace those on cylinder 2 for a start ?
Thanks for the pointer, do you have a picture/part number of the terminal connector? (I'm assuming at this point process would be:

Cut off old connector
re-solder new connector wires and heat wrap?

The loom is £50 and I don't mind spending an afternoon of my time swapping it out, but to be told the "Engine Loom" was "Breaking Down" seemed ludicrous.

But Damage could have been caused when the garage did the Tappets I suppose as they would have had to have removed them to take the top off the engine?
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 11:54   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the pointer, do you have a picture/part number of the terminal connector? (I'm assuming at this point process would be:

Cut off old connector
re-solder new connector wires and heat wrap?

The loom is £50 and I don't mind spending an afternoon of my time swapping it out, but to be told the "Engine Loom" was "Breaking Down" seemed ludicrous.

But Damage could have been caused when the garage did the Tappets I suppose as they would have had to have removed them to take the top off the engine?
you said the loom was expensive but £50 is ridiculously cheap for the engine loom , i would guess more like £500 to £800 !

If the fault code pointed to injector SIGNAL low then terminals or injector are the answer , If it was a miss-fire fault code it is probably the injector has a mechanical problem .

D5 Injector terminal wire repair 30765319 you need 2 per injector
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 20:04   #5
fahvernugen

Quote:
you said the loom was expensive but £50 is ridiculously cheap for the engine loom , i would guess more like £500 to £800 !

If the fault code pointed to injector SIGNAL low then terminals or injector are the answer , If it was a miss-fire fault code it is probably the injector has a mechanical problem .

D5 Injector terminal wire repair 30765319 you need 2 per injector

I thought I had posted a reply to this one, no the Second Hand Loom is £50, the new Volvo part is something like £670 + VAT + Fitting

I'll look into those terminal repair wires tomorrow, and as I think the terminals would have been removed for the Tappet service, Cylinder 2's could have been damaged

I'm assuming these are just new wires and terminals that go into the old Terminal Connector?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

--Roger
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 21:35   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I thought I had posted a reply to this one, no the Second Hand Loom is £50, the new Volvo part is something like £670 + VAT + Fitting

I'll look into those terminal repair wires tomorrow, and as I think the terminals would have been removed for the Tappet service, Cylinder 2's could have been damaged

I'm assuming these are just new wires and terminals that go into the old Terminal Connector?

Thanks for the help, much appreciated

--Roger
Yes the terminal repair is a piece of wire with an improved terminal on the end , You need to press a thin narrow flat blade into the release slot in the terminal housing to release the terminal from the housing . If you do not have injector signal fault codes this is unlikely to be the problem .
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 22:08   #7
fahvernugen

Quote:
Yes the terminal repair is a piece of wire with an improved terminal on the end , You need to press a thin narrow flat blade into the release slot in the terminal housing to release the terminal from the housing . If you do not have injector signal fault codes this is unlikely to be the problem .
Hi,

I finally found the paperwork with the error codes:

ECM-23B0 Injector Cylinder 2 - Singal Missing - DTC is Found Active.

So I think the repair piece of wire is my first starting point. I have done the release a couple of times before on VW Terminal Housings, it sounds like the same process

Soldering irong and Heat Shrink it is then...
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 14:42   #8
fahvernugen

Just wanted to say a belated thanks to Clan, as after purchasing the repair wires, and spending approx. 20 minutes fixing the loom, the car has run like a dream ever since!

Quote:
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 16:17   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Just wanted to say a belated thanks to Clan, as after purchasing the repair wires, and spending approx. 20 minutes fixing the loom, the car has run like a dream ever since!
you are welcome , there is a 25% chance it could be the injector though ,

Tags
engine loom, miss fire, xc70 d5, xc70 limp d5 power loss