Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlights for continental driving

Views : 6460

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2017, 20:37   #31
Wobbly

I’ll be taking my V90 (without the adaptive shadow technology) abroad in February, and have been watching both this thread and my beam pattern with interest. I agree with Lexman - I expect the lights to dazzle, and am considering adapting the beam as described in the link below. It’s from the manufacturer of Eurolites, which I’ve preciously used without hassle.

http://www.motoring-into-europe.co.uk/fitting.html

The summary version is that you adapt the beam by applying the deflector in a “best possible” scenario, and deflect the uppermost element of the beam pattern. It makes sense.
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 22:17   #32
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukden View Post
My MY18 XC60 is equipped with LED headlights with high beam assist (not adaptive).

Is there a way of adjusting the dip pattern for driving on the right? I cannot find anything in the manual.

Or do I have to resort to sticking gaffa tape on the lens.
If so where?
There is always something in the handbook about this IF there is an adjustment . On some of the other LED models the book says that no adjustment is needed as the beam is almost flat .
Why don't you get your garage to lower the headlamp beam a certain amount before you go , it might me slightly on the high side . Yes you can adjust self levelling headlamps .
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 11:36   #33
ukden

Well, four weeks after asking Customer Support and after two prompts including sending them a copy of the photo of my beam pattern I have an answer:

"Our Product Department have confirmed that the height of the ‘flick’ is below legal limits that require alteration when driving on the other side of the road."

So even though the headlights are specifically made for RHD (it says so on the label on top of the light unit) Volvo think they are OK when driving on the right.

I have to disagree, if that is what they intended, the dipped beam should have a straight horizontal cut off. I have a friend with a BMW X3 with LED lights, his dipped beam is a straight horizontal line. My lights will certainly dazzle oncoming drivers If I am driving on the right.

As I suspected all along, I will have to resort to blanking part of the beam with sticky tape, as I have done with every other car I have owned.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 12:04   #34
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
"Our Product Department have confirmed that the height of the ‘flick’ is below legal limits that require alteration when driving on the other side of the road."
That doesn't make sense. The height of the flick when it hits another car is dependent upon the lateral distance between the light source and the other car. Jeez, you don't have to be a mathematician to work that out.
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 14:19   #35
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
That doesn't make sense.
I can only agree with you.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 14:24   #36
Bernard F

Quote:
Well, four weeks after asking Customer Support and after two prompts including sending them a copy of the photo of my beam pattern I have an answer:

So even though the headlights are specifically made for RHD (it says so on the label on top of the light unit) Volvo think they are OK when driving on the right.

I have to disagree, if that is what they intended, the dipped beam should have a straight horizontal cut off. I have a friend with a BMW X3 with LED lights, his dipped beam is a straight horizontal line. My lights will certainly dazzle oncoming drivers If I am driving on the right.

As I suspected all along, I will have to resort to blanking part of the beam with sticky tape, as I have done with every other car I have owned.
Why not just give it a try. If the highest point is below the legal requirement why are you worried that it is not straight.
Bernard F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 14:41   #37
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:

Volvo will have tested these lights in all sorts of different conditions and they would not put them on sale or make such statements if they did not conform.
Why dont you get your mate to sit in your car while it is parked on the right with headlights on at night somewhere quiet and you drive his car towards yours on the right so you can see for yourself, mind you, you may get some unwanted attention from doggers.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 18:49   #38
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
Why not just give it a try. If the highest point is below the legal requirement why are you worried that it is not straight.
I was just about to say that , The "high" side of the line might well be the same height as the Low part on a conventional headlamp . If it bothers him he could always wind down the headlamp height adjustment a turn or two .
Old Apr 12th, 2018, 18:03   #39
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
If it bothers him he could always wind down the headlamp height adjustment a turn or two .
How do you do that?

This now becoming urgent, as I am off to the south of Germany with the caravan in a few weeks.

Old Apr 12th, 2018, 18:14   #40
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
How do you do that?

This now becoming urgent, as I am off to the south of Germany with the caravan in a few weeks.
LED headlight height/level is self adjusting everytime you turn your engine on, you will see the beam rise and lower to the correct level, if you tow turn engine on after hitching up the caravan.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote