Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Leak

Views : 570

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2017, 07:53   #1
Phillg1986

Default C70 Leak

Hey,
My 2007 c70 has an issue with the drivers rear light being dim and flickering when using the indicator also the fog light button in the car flashes with the indicator. I decided to have a look at the light unit and found it to be wet around the connector, im guessing this is the issue. Any common leak areas around the lights/boot that could cause this?
Thanks
Phill
Phillg1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 08:07   #2
philrocks

Have you made sure the drain channels are clear on the back of the car. Ive hear people say they can get clogged and will cause issues if not cleaned out. I believe they are just the channels you can see when you open the boot.

Also, have you checked if any water is getting into the light unit. I know my rear N/S light unit did start to let water in, seals must of gone. when I got it fixed, they did say water getting into it can cause all sorts of electrical problems.

Previous Volvos: Volvo S40 1.9d

philrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 08:10   #3
Phillg1986

Hey, the channels seem clear. I will try running water down with the lid open to see if i can spot any water coming in at all around the light area and use some sealant if i find anything at all. Gonna take out the bulb holder and dry it out I think.
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 13:54   #4
dme123
Master Member

There are bloody miles of rubber seals on these cars, and they are getting on a bit now so I expect to see a bit more water ingress!

My drain holes blocked up, you particularly notice it if the car is pointing down hill as the water pools around the holes. They are not easy to clear out, they take quite a convoluted route. Best not to park under trees.

I suspect you'll have a leak in the light unit itself or in some of the boot seats around it. Sometimes just putting silicone grease on the seals can get them to recover their sealy-ness. Stops roof squeaks too if you do all twenty miles of them on the car.
2003 C70 T5 GT Manual
dme123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 00:10   #5
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrocks View Post
Have you made sure the drain channels are clear on the back of the car. Ive hear people say they can get clogged and will cause issues if not cleaned out. I believe they are just the channels you can see when you open the boot.
Unclip the grey carpeted sides of the boot, you'll see the drainage tubes that start in the channels either side are right-angled and have a sort of bellows profile. So never poke anything down them because you won't get far and risk holing the tube - instead, squeeze them to break up any gunk that's blocking them, and blow some compressed air down them. The drains come out in the wheel arches so you could find they're blocked at that end.

But I think @dme123 is on the money here, it's probably the seals on the light unit itself. Good luck!

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2017, 16:28   #6
Phillg1986

Right, im pretty sure its the foam/rubber seals on the light unit. Are these replaceable or do I need a new light?
Cheers
Phill