Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Headlights - Active high beam vs Adaptive Shadow Technology

Views : 31023

Replies : 133

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2017, 11:07   #11
jmot

i wish i'd ticked this option, too late now hence asking if its just a software thing I can bung a tech £50 to switch on when I pick ours up
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 11:59   #12
Marley Don

I bought my car as a demo, how would I know which system it has. The car is a MY16 Momentum, the lights move when I turn the car on if that helps?
Marley Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 12:09   #13
jmot

tbh nothing could be worse than the headlights on our current audi a4 allroad we're replacing. Standard halogen lights... totally useless. Literally candles in jam jars so these xc90 LED's even on standard spec should be epic.
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 13:01   #14
TheDufster

I've got AST on my Momentum but I bought the car pre-configured so I don't know if it was standard or not (I'm also lucky enough to have the 12.3" driver's display which I understand was only available on early Momentum models).

The AST is brilliant, although it is annoying that it has to be turned on each time (as pointed out in another post).

Generally, the headlights are fantastic and light the road up really well.

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
TheDufster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 13:50   #15
niavlysj

Lot of new technologies are coming (see presentation of DMD Laser from BMW, for example, not in production of course, but that show what could be next future) and it will be more and more complex for us to have a easier driving system for users.

Also, some others systems are coming to avoid glaring...and it is not directly new functionnalities in headlamps, check les lunettes by Valeo on youtube (accessible to anyone, shown in last motorshow)
Old Jan 13th, 2017, 14:48   #16
jmot

I should do a gopro night drive comparison of the two cars and stick it on youtube.
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 00:21   #17
Torshen

I've taken the winter plus (inc HUD) pack so I should have this when my car arrives, but I've been looking through a manual I downloaded and can't see any mention of AST in the XC90 Owners Manual anywhere. Is there a separate doc? Can someone explain how it works in terms of the buttons/switches inside the car please?
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 10:24   #18
AndyN

AST is standard on R-Design and Inscription and comes part of the Winter Plus pack (for Momentum)

Page 141 of the Owner's manual details the operation, but in essence AST is automatically activated as part of activating Active Main Bean i.e by rotating the left hand stalk switch ring forward toward the "Active Main Beam" symbol
AndyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 11:46   #19
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN View Post
AST is standard on R-Design and Inscription and comes part of the Winter Plus pack (for Momentum)

Page 141 of the Owner's manual details the operation, but in essence AST is automatically activated as part of activating Active Main Bean i.e by rotating the left hand stalk switch ring forward toward the "Active Main Beam" symbol
Thanks Andy. I'd read about Active High Beam in the manual but since it doesn't actually call out AST by name on that page I wondered whether there was any more info elsewhere, but good to have it clarified.

So, next question... How do you know it's actually working? IE how do you know you're not dazzling oncomers and they're just being polite and not flashing you?
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2017, 12:10   #20
AndyN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshen View Post
So, next question... How do you know it's actually working? IE how do you know you're not dazzling oncomers and they're just being polite and not flashing you?
You can actually see the beam pattern change as oncoming vehicles approach you or you catch up to a vehicle in front of you.

In addition, the high beam instrument symbol lights blue when high beam is on and grey when off
AndyN is offline   Reply With Quote