Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 2001 - should it stay or should it go...

Views : 898

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2017, 22:56   #1
faultyvolvo

Default V40 2001 - should it stay or should it go...

Yes, it's a new account... I've not needed to post here before...

I have a 2001 Y-reg V40 currently sitting in an small independent garage. It went in to have an odd noise checked out, and we determined it needed a new alternator - that's been done.
However, more problems have come to light. The timing belt was seizing and the mechanic has had to cut that off and replace it. Now though he says it makes a noise when running that 100% indicates the valves have become bent / damaged.
He has quoted me £325 for the parts required, £75 for the timing of the new belt / valves to be sorted (this involves sending it away), and £200 for his labour. This is on top of paying for the new alternator and labour for that.

So I'm now in the spot of deciding whether to go ahead with this.. or to cut my losses and maybe offer the v40 up on this forum for a new home.

Any advice gratefully received! Any questions - fire away! I'll answer what I can...
faultyvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 22:58   #2
Haizum74
Master Member

What sort of noise is it making?

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 23:15   #3
faultyvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haizum74 View Post
What sort of noise is it making?
Good question - and I'm afraid I don't know. I briefly visited after work to talk over what was needed and so on, and the mechanic tried to get it to over - but it wouldn't. Like the battery is now flat too...
If it is damaged / bent valves - what kind of noise would that be? If we get it turning over on another visit.
The Following User Says Thank You to faultyvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 05:03   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by faultyvolvo View Post
Good question - and I'm afraid I don't know. I briefly visited after work to talk over what was needed and so on, and the mechanic tried to get it to over - but it wouldn't. Like the battery is now flat too...
If it is damaged / bent valves - what kind of noise would that be? If we get it turning over on another visit.
It probably will not start if the cam belt has jumped more than 2 teeth.

If that is the case, I would sell it for parts unless the rest of the car is a real gem, or even just walk away if you have not paid for the Recon alternator.

The phase 1 V40's are worth less than the phase 2's and even with a phase 2 I would think three times before paying for an engine rebuild.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Nov 2nd, 2017 at 05:05.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 05:45   #5
canis
Non Fragile

Hmm. The way I figure it; If the valves were bent before the mechanic got hold of it, you'd know. It wouldn't be making a little noise, it'd sound like something metallic and broken, and likely would be very "lumpy" running, have little power and feel as if one cylinder wasn't firing.

A belt isn't "siezing", it's just a belt. It's either siezed or it isn't, and how can a belt seize anyway? In any case, there isn't any reason to cut off the timing belt to replace an alternator, as it is driven by the auxillary belt, the timing belt should have been left well alone. Removing the timing belt without locking the camshafts is not something a competant mechanic would do.

So I'm inclined to think this mechanic has caused the problem. I'd be very suspicious of this guy.

P.S. Is he trying to turn it over on the starter motor? Without a timing belt? Is he mad?

Last edited by canis; Nov 2nd, 2017 at 05:48.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 09:36   #6
faultyvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
If that is the case, I would sell it for parts unless the rest of the car is a real gem, or even just walk away if you have not paid for the Recon alternator.

The phase 1 V40's are worth less than the phase 2's and even with a phase 2 I would think three times before paying for an engine rebuild.
Thanks - good to have in mind. The rest is not... a real gem, there's a bit of scratching and stuff. The engine is clean, and I think "good" other than the obvious stated problems. Low mileage for its age - it's on about 110k.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 09:40   #7
faultyvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
Hmm. The way I figure it; If the valves were bent before the mechanic got hold of it, you'd know. It wouldn't be making a little noise, it'd sound like something metallic and broken, and likely would be very "lumpy" running, have little power and feel as if one cylinder wasn't firing.
That's kinda what I thought - I'd know something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
A belt isn't "siezing", it's just a belt. It's either siezed or it isn't, and how can a belt seize anyway? In any case, there isn't any reason to cut off the timing belt to replace an alternator, as it is driven by the auxillary belt, the timing belt should have been left well alone. Removing the timing belt without locking the camshafts is not something a competant mechanic would do.

So I'm inclined to think this mechanic has caused the problem. I'd be very suspicious of this guy.

P.S. Is he trying to turn it over on the starter motor? Without a timing belt? Is he mad?
He didn't cut off the timing belt to replace the alternator; that was done separately. It is as if, to my mind though, that then the timing belt had a problem. Maybe a really nasty coincidence. But yes, my spidey-sense is tingling a bit. He's trying to turn it over on the starter motor, with the new timing belt fitted. However, that is before the re-sync/timing is done, so doesn't sound entirely sensible either!

Thanks for another helpful reply, though!
The Following User Says Thank You to faultyvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 10:51   #8
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Did he ask your permission before cutting the “timing belt? I’m a bit stumped if he did not. Certainly one would need to remove the aux belt to work on the alternator but he would have know that cutting the timing belt would have forced you to undertake more work on the spot. How was the car driving before the alternator went?

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 17:28   #9
faultyvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
Did he ask your permission before cutting the “timing belt? I’m a bit stumped if he did not. Certainly one would need to remove the aux belt to work on the alternator but he would have know that cutting the timing belt would have forced you to undertake more work on the spot. How was the car driving before the alternator went?
Hmm, good point - no he didn't ask about cutting the timing belt!
The car was driving fine before my initial "odd noise". That was deemed to be the alternator's belt wheel coming loose on its axle, and striking the ECU. That aux belt was also in a bad way.
Old Nov 2nd, 2017, 18:00   #10
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faultyvolvo View Post
Hmm, good point - no he didn't ask about cutting the timing belt!
The car was driving fine before my initial "odd noise". That was deemed to be the alternator's belt wheel coming loose on its axle, and striking the ECU. That aux belt was also in a bad way.
Sounds like you are being played. There is no reason for him to have cut the timing belt. I'd be very skeptical of anything he has to say. Take the vehicle some place else, even if it means having to tow it out.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post: