Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sump

Views : 1126

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2017, 12:17   #11
irollv40

Noworrys,,,neanderthal,,,it was a good find and needed,,👍,,,so put all belts back on,,all the timeing marks as they were,,,,?.. filled with oil and antifreeze,,, no leaks,, sweet.😁😁...so turn it over to start the engine and nowt,,,it turns over but just will not start,,,, tryed till battery almost went flat but no joy,,,so a question or 2,,,,,if the timeing belt is out by 1 tooth would it still start..????,,,or if it was not on a compression cycle at TDC and then I set it up thinking it was..would it still start.????..any help would be nice,,,,manythanks
irollv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 14:17   #12
neanderthal
Master Member

Default timing

thats fine...take a look at biotoxics post.https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...timing....mine was only slightly out once but it still turned over.even though it was was making a jingling sound.so of course quickly turned it off and adjusted timing.i assumed you turned the crankshaft over by hand twice first to make sure it turns free....i am sure someone will come along and maybe tell you what might be wrong...
The Following User Says Thank You to neanderthal For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 15:49   #13
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by irollv40 View Post
Noworrys,,,neanderthal,,,it was a good find and needed,,👍,,,so put all belts back on,,all the timeing marks as they were,,,,?.. filled with oil and antifreeze,,, no leaks,, sweet.😁😁...so turn it over to start the engine and nowt,,,it turns over but just will not start,,,, tryed till battery almost went flat but no joy,,,so a question or 2,,,,,if the timeing belt is out by 1 tooth would it still start..????,,,or if it was not on a compression cycle at TDC and then I set it up thinking it was..would it still start.????..any help would be nice,,,,manythanks
These engines aren't timed that way. Forget about TDC and use the timing mark on the bottom pulley.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 17:15   #14
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
These engines aren't timed that way. Forget about TDC and use the timing mark on the bottom pulley.
I've no experience of Diesel's, but petrol engines are timed with all four pistons level with each other half way up or down in the cylinders. So long as the crank timing mark is set correctly it cannot be set to fire on the exhaust stroke. I suspect your timing marks are out and need to be checked and re-set.

Also I have never bothered with the crank locking pin - as you have found it is a real pain. I set the crank to the mark and make sure the crank does not move while setting the camshafts - fit the belt, turn two complete turns by hand and re-check all marks line up.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 11th, 2017, 18:54   #15
canis
Non Fragile

Oh, is it diesel? I must've missed that somehow. Then ignore me, I've never done a diesel either. Sorry.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 17:44   #16
irollv40

Howdo,,all,,,,so as u no I was aveiing trouble getting my car to start after I had put on a new water pump,, timeing belt,,aux belt,,,but I think I found out y it would not start,,knowing that it was setup right...I'll let the pics say it,,,,as I am to busy at moment kicking myself.....well I hope its the problem as now my car battery is flat,,,,lololol...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171117_172306.jpg (282.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20171117_172442.jpg (322.6 KB, 10 views)
irollv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to irollv40 For This Useful Post: