Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A question on the Nav

Views : 1483

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2017, 08:24   #11
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshen View Post
To be fair, I think it's partially because Waze is so good, rather than the inbuilt nav being particularly bad - it's not great but I don't find it terrible either.
I think you are right. This is exactly what I find, it is not that the inbuilt nav is that bad just that Waze is far better.
id5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 09:33   #12
KNVXC90

I recently had a situation where Sensus Navigation was trying to divert me from the usual route, but the Google Maps on my wife's phone was happy for me to proceed on the usual route.

We trusted Google Maps and proceeded without deviation. Unfortunately Google Maps was wrong and Sensus correct...the road was closed since morning due to a burst water pipe.
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Prev: MY02 Mazda 6 TS2
KNVXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 15:54   #13
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNVXC90 View Post
We trusted Google Maps and proceeded without deviation. Unfortunately Google Maps was wrong and Sensus correct...the road was closed since morning due to a burst water pipe.
We had a couple of similar experiences that have frustrated us with Sensus and has really prompted the question. When I checked with Waze it could cope but Sensus could not.

The first was coming back from Bournemouth there was a blocked road on the route that Sensus displayed but it didn't then re-route around it. I had to back-track and divert via B roads that Sensus would not even display until I started driving on them. It knew that they were there but would not use them regardless of the fast, direct route options. The second was when my wife had to go cross country and again I was aware of a B road route that was 20 minutes shorter that the shortest route that the Sensus NAV could find regardless of any setting in the NAV. I even tried later when she had got back to get Sensus to use the route by changing or resetting its options but it just didn't want to.
Old Nov 18th, 2017, 17:32   #14
gaby
Premier Member

Does a MY2015 XC60 have the same navigation system as the current Volvo's?
Old Nov 19th, 2017, 08:40   #15
id5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
Does a MY2015 XC60 have the same navigation system as the current Volvo's?
That is part of the reason when I asked the original question as they are both called Sensus Navigation but the new XC60/90 needs a bigger memory stick to update so there are differences. I think that they are the same code and maps but it is likely that there is a processor change to 32 or 64 bit forcing the larger memory stick. It certainly seems that the way it selects routes is similar.
Old Mar 10th, 2018, 09:59   #16
Damo Trower

Hi,

I have a MY XC90 and find the Traffic avoidance to be very poor compared to my Other car which is a 2 year old BMW 3 series. I’ve tried all the settings but it consistently fails to route around traffic (even when they are shown on screen). This is a shame as The interface is otherwise excellent. I’ve just ordered a Data SIM to see if that will improve the situation (manual seems to suggest an improvement in RTTI if car is connected to the internet...). I’ll report back with findings!
Damo Trower is offline   Reply With Quote