Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Washer problem

Views : 959

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2017, 15:17   #1
tonyl

Default Washer problem

Hi folks, originally posted on wrong forum, apologies. 2010 2.4 diesel estate. When I activate the front washers the headlamp ones work fine but I only get a dribble out of the front screen ones. Checked jets, ok and plenty of fluid. The rear screen washer also doesn't work. I can hear the motors running. I see that there are two reservoirs. Does the front one supply the front screen and headlamps and the rear reservoir supply just the rear screen? I don't believe there is a blockage because I did get a feeble squirt out off the front screen ones when I activated the stalk. I'm very puzzled, any ideas?
tonyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 18:47   #2
Simon Jones
Premier Member

There is only one reservoir.... where are you seeing a second one?
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13th, 2017, 20:57   #3
Moose Test
Master Member

There is only one reservoir and it contains two pumps; one 'high pressure', supplying the headlight washers only and another which supplies the front or rear windscreen washer jets (depending on which way it is rotating).

From what you describe it seems as if the front/rear pump has failed, or there is a blockage somewhere in the common part of the output hose.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 10:54   #4
daveherns

I have the same problem on a 2016 V70 D3. I'll get a pump on EBay rather than being messed about by main dealers. I do need to know is it normal for the headlamp washers to work everytime I use the screen washers. I had a Citroen and the headlamp washers only worked when the headlamps were switched on. That makes no difference on my V70.
Thanks
daveherns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 11:56   #5
Moose Test
Master Member

It is normal function for the headlights to be washed when off.

As to whether they should wash on each activation, that might vary by model and year but in the case of my 2008 XC70 there is a ratio of windscreen washes to headlight washes. That is, after the first wash, the headlights only then wash every 1 in x times the front windscreen is washed.

If you receive the 'fill washer fluid' warning, headlight washing is either reduced or suspended.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2017, 14:47   #6
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Headlamp was depends on frequency of use since ignition on. So if you wash windscreen approx. once every 4 minutes, the headlamps will be washed once per 5 'squirts'. This period is reset when the interval is greater than about 5 mins.
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 17:54   #7
tonyl

I thought it was impossible to have all three jets blocked at the same time so I didn't check them. And hour later, having checked both motors and losing most of the washer fluid I'd only just topped up I put an air line through the jets and, yes, all three were blocked. Unbelievable. Anyway folks, problem solved, thanks for all your input.
tonyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 22:39   #8
daveherns

Washing my headlamps when I don't want to annoys me as it makes a mess on the bonnet. In this respect my Citroen is superior.
daveherns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2017, 23:21   #9
bobsy852

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyl View Post
I thought it was impossible to have all three jets blocked at the same time so I didn't check them. And hour later, having checked both motors and losing most of the washer fluid I'd only just topped up I put an air line through the jets and, yes, all three were blocked. Unbelievable. Anyway folks, problem solved, thanks for all your input.
HI tony,
from which side did you run air through the jets? I presume you mean the jets fixed to the bonnet yes?
Did you take the pipe off and blow air in from the underside of the bonnet?
Or back against the direction water would flow?
I seem to be having a similar issue and wonder if I just need compressed air to resolve it
bobsy852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 15:37   #10
MikeBJ

With apologies for jumping in, but as Tony's not replied as yet, I will share that whenever I've had to deal with dodgy jets I pull the hose off and run the pump for a few seconds to clear anything in the line, then backflush with jets with water from my garden hose.

For clarity, I just put the hose to the nozzles, therefore flushing against the normal direction of flow.

When I got the car, the jets were dire - despite all efforts I never got them clear so had them replaced following a whinge to the supplying dealer. New jets solved the problem.

As to the auto h/lamp washing, I agree that's it's a pita. When I get round to it, I might just pull the relevant fuse to disable them. No doubt it would also be possible to wire in a switch such that they could be turned off/on without having to go to the trouble of pulling the fuse. Then again, with modern cars the electrical gubbins are SOOOOO much more complicated these days, so no doubt I'll cause some expensive damage somewhere if I attempt this.
MikeBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeBJ For This Useful Post: