Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heated windscreens

Views : 1560

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2017, 16:39   #1
sixof1

Unhappy Heated windscreens

Further evidence of the pointlessness of heated windscreens. My partner recently looked forward to the first use of the heated windscreen to clear the frost on her XC60 only to come back into the house to fetch a jug of warm water to clear the side windows
sixof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 16:44   #2
NigelDay
Premier Member

Well this subject is a bit like Marmite. Love 'em or hate 'em.
Personally, I love 'em. Not just for clearing frost, but also for very quick demisting.
As you say, the side windows are still an issue, but you always have the option to wind them down to see to pull out etc.
There are a few who find the metal wires intrusive, and this really comes down to your ability to focus beyond the wires. Some can, some cannot. Low angle sunlight can also exacerbate the issue.
Despite this, for me the plus points outnumber the minus points.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Nov 16th, 2017 at 14:29. Reason: Quote deleted
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 17:20   #3
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

I find that the air blowing out of the side vents clears my side windows within 100m - or if I jump out and start the car and switch on the screen and blower then go back in the house for a couple of mins then both windscreen and sides are clear plus the air temp in the car is more acceptable
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 18:16   #4
phil1968
Master Member

Until they're demisted, wind the side windows down when you need to see out of them? I usually find that clears them anyway as the bottom seal wipes them

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic

Last edited by phil1968; Nov 15th, 2017 at 18:20.
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2017, 21:22   #5
cbee
VOC Member

The heated windscreen is why I don't drive The Good Lady's XC60, can't stand it especially at night when all the lights look like fireworks.

Some years ago, after trying to get on with it for several months, had the heated screen taken out of a Mondeo and replaced with non-heated one from a lower spec version. Have suggested doing the same with the XC, but she loves it and refuses to do so - just thought maybe she doesn't want me to drive her car.

The way I get around the frosting problem in the morning is to put a fan heater in the back for about 15 mins. All windows frost free and nice and warm in the car - just remember to unplug it before you pull off out of the drive!
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 04:36   #6
The Thong
VOC Member

I love em, always loved em. We don’t get as many frosty mornings as we used to. Everyone to their own eh? Wished my van had one, on those cold mornings last year I had my screen freeze in the inside which is a pain even with de-mist cranked up to full pelt.

TT
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 13:34   #7
Grimble
Grimble

Only ever had one on a car, a Y plate Mondeo. Absolutely loved it!

Seems to me in these days of oppressive health and safety regulations they should be a mandatory fit on all cars. I see plenty on frosty mornings with just a small patch to see out of.

Have done it myself so guilty as charged. But never when I had the Mondeo.

Never used hot water on the screen either, as its a good way to make a chip into a crack very quickly.
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 13:52   #8
The Thong
VOC Member

Never hot, just lukewarm and it does the trick. I’ve seen people chuck boiling water on windscreens with disasterous results. Yep, I’m in the heated windscreen camp

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Nov 16th, 2017 at 14:29. Reason: Quote deleted
The Thong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 14:00   #9
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

As The Thong states, warm water no problem been doing that for decades never cracked a screen - those old wive's tales are amazing !!! Heated screens get my support every time, first had one in my ST24 I bought new in 2000.

Jon.
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 15:16   #10
Fantastic
VOC Member

I think they are brilliant on frosty mornings, both for frost and internal condensation, although I do see why some folk don't get on with the wires.

One thing I don't understand is why a premium manufacturer like Volvo hasn't gone along the route of a 'clear' 'wireless' heated windscreen like you can option on VW's? Maybe a copyright thing, but they appear much better than wires.