Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Considering an XC90, couple of questions please

Views : 4769

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2017, 09:19   #11
familymangreg
Premier Member

I agree with all the points on hear. I think the XC90 offers a different package to the Touareg, its quite a bit bigger on the inside and has the seven seats. If you need this increased space, then you're looking in the right place, if not, have a look at an xc60 or 5 series.

Ive ridden probably a couple of hundred miles in a mates touareg, the more powerful diesel on a 12 plate SE. The refinement, quiet and smooth v6 are well above those of the D5. The D5, while I think a good engine in its own right, isn't best placed in the large XC90, it just doesn't offer the smooth, quiet torque you'd expect in a large premium SUV, all the V6's from Audi, VW, BMW offer much improved refinement.

However, the XC90 does excel in so many areas, design and looks, space, practicality, comfort, infotainment. I love it, I just wish i could pop the engine from the Q7 in it!

:wq
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 17:24   #12
volvocamper
Master Member

Thanks for your thoughts guys. As I had imagined the main difference will be the V6 v straight 4 engine. When the new XC90 was first announced i wrote it off because of the 4 cyl 2litre engine but reviews do not generally throw this up as an issue (maybe they are, rightly more won over by other areas of the car)
It did seem in the early days there were many ‘glitches’, mostly electrically based, i guess now 3 years down the line many of those have been ironed out on the latest models?
I read somewhere on here that the reversing lights are non led and not particularly bright, could those bulbs not be replaced by led versions?
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2017, 19:05   #13
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
I read somewhere on here that the reversing lights are non led and not particularly bright, could those bulbs not be replaced by led versions?
It wouldn't be easy. The XC90's reversing lights use a non-standard bulb and I doubt very much if there is a direct-fit LED equivalent. Plus there may be compatibility issues with the control module for the lights, often (wrongly) referred to as the CANBUS problem.
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 09:28   #14
jmot

Only had the xc90 since March and already decided it's replacement.

The xc90 is a fab car in so many ways but it is let down in so many ways that I honestly don't believe it is a class contender versus the other range toppers from Merc, Audi etc.

New x5 and GLE models released next year too which will destroy the xc90 in every area except maybe size.

Too many silly little software niggles and fit and finish issues combined with the gruff 4cyl but its all perfectly liveable.
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 10:11   #15
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmot View Post
Only had the xc90 since March and already decided it's replacement.

The xc90 is a fab car in so many ways but it is let down in so many ways that I honestly don't believe it is a class contender versus the other range toppers from Merc, Audi etc.

New x5 and GLE models released next year too which will destroy the xc90 in every area except maybe size.

Too many silly little software niggles and fit and finish issues combined with the gruff 4cyl but its all perfectly liveable.
I tend to agree. I like the car in so many ways but the constant issues that crop up take the shine off owning and driving it.

I've had more than my fair share of problems and even now I have non-functioning BLIS and CTA which has gone unfixed for 5 weeks since it first went in for repair although it actually failed 9 weeks ago. What's annoying is the dealer attitude in that they actually don't seem to care that I paid £50k+ for a car that only works fully some of the time. There's no sense of urgency in getting it fixed and despite me asking for progress updates I hear nothing unless I call them. The last I heard 7 days ago was that they were still looking into it. I mean, really, how much time do they need?

This one year old XC90 has spent more time with dealer than all my other (mostly Japanese) cars put together over the previous 25 years.
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 13:07   #16
volvocamper
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
I tend to agree. I like the car in so many ways but the constant issues that crop up take the shine off owning and driving it.

I've had more than my fair share of problems and even now I have non-functioning BLIS and CTA which has gone unfixed for 5 weeks since it first went in for repair although it actually failed 9 weeks ago. What's annoying is the dealer attitude in that they actually don't seem to care that I paid £50k+ for a car that only works fully some of the time. There's no sense of urgency in getting it fixed and despite me asking for progress updates I hear nothing unless I call them. The last I heard 7 days ago was that they were still looking into it. I mean, really, how much time do they need?

This one year old XC90 has spent more time with dealer than all my other (mostly Japanese) cars put together over the previous 25 years.
That’s not good news Lexman8.
FWIW I am test driving an XC90 and an XC60 back to back next Saturday so see how that goes. I had hoped Volvo were coming to the end of the (mainly software isnt it?) issues with the new 90.
volvocamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 14:02   #17
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocamper View Post
That’s not good news Lexman8.
FWIW I am test driving an XC90 and an XC60 back to back next Saturday so see how that goes. I had hoped Volvo were coming to the end of the (mainly software isnt it?) issues with the new 90.
I wouldn't want to deter you from buying Volvo. I've probably been particularly unlucky. I took delivery of my first XC90 in July last year but had to reject it because of problems with the paintwork. It was replaced in Oct '16 after some debate (and threats) with the current car at no cost to me. I only had this a few weeks before the comms module failed meaning no VoC, internet, etc. It took several attempts and many weeks before it was finally fixed at the start of this year. There have been other issues (eg water in the doors) as well as 2 or 3 recalls (PowerPulse hose, rear seatbelt, etc) and the usual software niggles. I reckon the current issue with BLIS and CTA isn't software related but no-one seems to have a clue.

I'm sure there are many happy Volvo owners out there who have had next to no problems with these latest SPA cars. It seems that the older the car the more troublesome it is. Also, how your dealer responds to the issues seems to vary enormously from dealer to dealer. A good dealer can make all the difference. I've previously driven Lexus cars where literally nothing ever went wrong and the dealerships are light years ahead with customer engagement.

Lastly, these latest cars (from any manufacturer) are stuffed with electronics and it could be that they all potentially suffer in the same way that some of the SPA cars are doing. I don't think the dealerships have the right people in place to cope with the technology. Coming from an IT background myself it's pretty obvious that they lack an understanding of the complexities of hardware/software/networking and how they interact. It's said that Japanese cars lag behind in using the very latest technology; perhaps that's why they're more reliable. From where I am today, I'm tempted to forego the latest tech for my next car and get one that just works.
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 14:26   #18
KNVXC90

Quote:
I wouldn't want to deter you from buying Volvo. I've probably been particularly unlucky.
I believe Lexman and a few others here have been unlucky. That's not the experience I had (touching wood), as my XC90 has been reliable and am happy with it. I am sure there are numerous other happy owners that are not even on this forum.
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Prev: MY02 Mazda 6 TS2
KNVXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 15:51   #19
chrisrixy

Quote:
I wouldn't want to deter you from buying Volvo. I've probably been particularly unlucky. .
In just over a year I've had the same issue twice - a 'non retracting' retractable tow bar - which was a dealer fit option initially - and both times a dealer visit was required to sort it.

Otherwise no other issues - but then I've never downloaded or played with any Apps apart from those on the car when it was delivered, and never used and streaming service or anything similar.
(no mobile signal up here so not worth the bother trying any of those things)

So booked for a service next week - that will be 3rd time to the dealer since delivery.
chrisrixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 16:04   #20
gaby
Premier Member

I don't have any problem with the 4 cylinder engine, and it's just the "entry level" petrol. The 6 cylinder thing
seems to be some kind of fetish to some, but I don't care having a 4 cylinder engine if it does what it has to do.
volvo's T5 certainly does so, it has far more power than I need or can use in today's traffic and I barely hear it's there.
I compared some of the competitors befor buying, I feel that the XC90 offers good value for money. If configured with
the same level of options the Q7, X5, Touareg or Cayenne are a lot more expensive (in Belgium), even if configured
with a 4 cylinder engine (if possible). Some of the competitors are not even available with a petrol engine.