Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Considering an XC90, couple of questions please

Views : 4770

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 17th, 2017, 16:13   #21
pagan8c
Master Member

I have the Factory towbar and have had no problems with it. The car tows my caravan of 1550kgs easily with no fuss. I can't say I have had any real problems with the car either and I got it in March this year. I have noticed the odd glitch in the software but these have righted themselves quickly and I have not had to visit the dealer. I have the Pano roof and all round cameras and I think these are a good extras. With the camera at the back I can reverse right upto the hitch on the van when I have the towbar down . I thought I had a problem with the towbar not retracting but then read on this forum about the fact it shuts itself off when the rear hatch is open for a prolonged time so all I did was shut the rear hatch and on opening it the towbar came alive again. All in all I like the car and because I am on 19" wheels have not really noticed the noise either. Whether I get another when this 1 goes depends on what else is about which gives the comfort and space this car gives.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 17:14   #22
Fortune7
VOC Member

Perhaps its inevitable that most of us post here with problems (i.e. looking for guidance / solutions) but for a bit of balance I'm very happy with my XC90 T8 which was new in June this year. For such a complex car (I specified pretty-much all the bells and whistles) I have only one ongoing issue: the 'Engine Remote Start' function via the VOC app isn't working, and never has. After a couple of Dealer visits I've got to know their Master Technician pretty well and he's been excellent at keeping me informed and 'on the case' with Volvo UK and Sweden. I can't praise him highly enough, unlike the service counter staff who (for me) provide the 'usually expected' service of not returning calls and forgetting to get things done. Why is this the norm these days whereas for just a bit more effort the responsiveness can be 'outstanding'?

Anyway, my Remote Start problem is (according to Volvo) 'affecting all MY18 XC90 and XC60 T8s' so I'm a bit surprised it hasn't surfaced here from someone else (er, or they are wrong.....). I'm assured they are working on a software update for the ECM (communication?) module which perhaps will form part of a larger update to fix everyone else's! My Techie at the Dealer emails me weekly with updates that, even if he's heard nothing from Volvo, he's keeping me in mind.

So in nearly 6 months with this issue I'm cool about what's happening. If, on the other hand I wasn't getting this 'responsive' treatment I'm sure I'd be far angrier if the perception was that no-one cared. Good customer service makes such a difference and I'm still amazed it's not taken seriously in many businesses!

Cheers, Andy
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 17:37   #23
andyfromembsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune7 View Post
Anyway, my Remote Start problem is (according to Volvo) 'affecting all MY18 XC90 and XC60 T8s' so I'm a bit surprised it hasn't surfaced here from someone else (er, or they are wrong.....). I'm assured they are working on a software update for the ECM (communication?) module which perhaps will form part of a larger update to fix everyone else's! My Techie at the Dealer emails me weekly with updates that, even if he's heard nothing from Volvo, he's keeping me in mind.
I have a T8 (new in October) and have had no issues, and have never tried the remote start as I just use the preconditioning thingy to make it toasty when I get in at silly o'clock.

Not sure why I'd use it?
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 17:41   #24
dblogic

Likewise I'm very happy with my XC90 T8 (and first Volvo). Only had it a couple of weeks and so far nothing has caused me any concern.

I have noticed that Remote Start always fails "for technical reasons" but I'm not sure why you need remote start on the T8 anyway?

The Parking Climate (Preconditioning) has worked every time irrespective of being plugged in or not with the standard fuel heater coming on if the temp is below 10deg. Car nice and warm and defrosted on the couple of cold days we've had so far.

If I have a moan it's not having any way of seeing just how many miles the petrol engine has run for. I'm old fashioned and always like to run all mechanical devices in properly and has it's hardly ever started (my normal day to day trips are usually within the 25 miles of battery range - I can charge at home and work.) so not really sure how much it now needs. Good excuse to start trying Performance mode (in a very controlled way though :-))
dblogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 18:11   #25
jmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
I tend to agree. I like the car in so many ways but the constant issues that crop up take the shine off owning and driving it.

I've had more than my fair share of problems and even now I have non-functioning BLIS and CTA which has gone unfixed for 5 weeks since it first went in for repair although it actually failed 9 weeks ago. What's annoying is the dealer attitude in that they actually don't seem to care that I paid £50k+ for a car that only works fully some of the time. There's no sense of urgency in getting it fixed and despite me asking for progress updates I hear nothing unless I call them. The last I heard 7 days ago was that they were still looking into it. I mean, really, how much time do they need?

This one year old XC90 has spent more time with dealer than all my other (mostly Japanese) cars put together over the previous 25 years.
Exactly. If I'd actually bought this car instead of getting the cheapest lease deal i could find i'd have gone apesh1t by now.

The only option i actually wish i had fitted is the LED shadow headlights but as far as any other options go, from what I seem to read, they are great if they work.

New GLE or GLC 63 AMG for me next depending on finances at time. Simply have to have something with real life under the bonnet. I know there is probably another forum dedicated to all the things that fail on those and bits that fall off lol
jmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 18:23   #26
Director76
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyfromembsay View Post
I have a T8 (new in October) and have had no issues, and have never tried the remote start as I just use the preconditioning thingy to make it toasty when I get in at silly o'clock.

Not sure why I'd use it?
I read these kind of threads with a slight trepidation but an open mind!

I've had one rear door electric child lock fail in 2 x Touaregs over 6.5 years and 65,000 miles...I suspect I won't get similar from the XC90 when it arrives, we'll see!

The main reason I was put of getting a Disco 4 back in 2011 was the absolute HORROR stories that abounded on the forums!

Mind you, I've owned a couple of Alfas from new in years gone by (on the whole remarkably trouble free despite the image). The least reliable car I ever had was another Swede - a 93SC convertible back in 2004! We had quite a few problems with my wife's Grand Picasso which went back after its 2 year lease a few weeks back (new steering racks, rear axle, about 3 recalls and it was starting to do the Citroen thing of interior self dismantling!)

Time will tell!
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 19:51   #27
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmot View Post
Exactly. If I'd actually bought this car instead of getting the cheapest lease deal i could find i'd have gone apesh1t by now.
Lol, I did actually buy mine so you can understand why I'm slightly p1ssed off. Once again I've not had an update from the dealer this week. You couldn't make it up.

I've been very patient so far but a letter of complaint, copy every man and his dog, will be on its way.
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 19:55   #28
jmot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
Lol, I did actually buy mine so you can understand why I'm slightly p1ssed off. Once again I've not had an update from the dealer this week. You couldn't make it up.

I've been very patient so far but a letter of complaint, copy every man and his dog, will be on its way.
Are you within your rights to reject this replacement vehicle at all?

If I was you i'd be looking for out.
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 19:58   #29
jmot

actually, out of interest Lexman, just looking at your spec on a momentum... how far off the list price of a basic inscription was that?
Old Nov 17th, 2017, 20:24   #30
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmot View Post
Are you within your rights to reject this replacement vehicle at all?
I rejected the first car under the terms of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and I presume I could do the same with this car although obviously it gets more difficult the longer you have the car. I'm reluctant to go down that route at this point as I still like the car and (ever the optimist) hope it will settle down.