Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Starting problem - fuel pump relay

Views : 9636

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2010, 14:36   #1
beagles

Default Starting problem - fuel pump relay

Hello

I have had a '99 V70 for seven trouble free years but now have problem with starting. It is intermittent but sometimes will turn over but not actually start. Have had the RAC out twice and it literally just happened to start. I replaced the fuel pump relay but car still does not start sometimes.

Took it to Volvo and fault code ECM-2400 fuel pump relay was logged. I have been told this is a 'permanent fault' and cannot be cleared. They removed the relay and operated it using Volvo systems tester and found it to be clicking as required. They have basically wshed their hands of this now as they said it can only be tested further when the car is actually not starting. Whilst I appreciate this fact it is not really practical!

Volvo seem to think it is an electrical problem - one RAC guy tested the fuel pump and it appeared to be working okay. Is something happening when the engine is turning over to 'cut off' the fuel pump itself?

I know this seems to be a problem others have had but I cannot see anything quite the same as mine, i.e showing a fault code that cannot be cleared.

Any help much appreciated
Thanks
beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 15:16   #2
davidpaul

I have a similar problem with mine, just fitted a new cam sensor and new breather hoses (some were cracked) and after reading about similar problems on here will be looking at the immobilizer antenna ring next.
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 18:52   #3
beagles

Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. I'll have to try everything because at the moment I have lost confidence and it's horrible having that 'will it start?' feeling...
Old Aug 25th, 2010, 19:05   #4
davidpaul

Mine always starts (eventually) but it might start first time or it may take 20 tries.
From what I've read, the cam sensor can cause some starting problems also the immobilizer ring can give problems like we're having, I have just removed mine and now looking for a new one.
No fault codes registered, which is a pain.
There are threads on here that cover the subject just do a search for -Immobilizer antenna ring.
Just found out that it's more likely to be dirty connections, so I shall be giving them a good clean.

Last edited by davidpaul; Aug 25th, 2010 at 19:09.
davidpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davidpaul For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2010, 23:31   #5
davidpaul

Cleaning the connector seems to have worked, so far it's working fine. long may it continue.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 16:29   #6
beagles

Tried everything I could think of and no luck. No option but to scrap it now..
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 20:59   #7
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

I'd suggest replacing the fuel pump relay would be worth a try, bit drastic to scrap the car.

Which engine does the car have?
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 14:29   #8
beagles

I have already replaced that - that's when Volvo said there was a permanent fault code. It's a 2.4 engine.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 14:55   #9
Jody

Default V70

My V70 takes about 30 seconds to fire up, this only happens when I fill up at a service station, she fires straight up after that
Jody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jody For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 18:37   #10
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Have you actually proved the non start is due to the fuel pump not running?

The symptoms are exactly the same as as you would experience when there is a poor connection to the immobilizer antenna ring.

I know you have a fuel pump fault code but I'd suggest that removing the antenna ring, cleaning the contacts back to bare metal and applying some contact grease will cost you nothing and would be something else to eliminate.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote