Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P2 V70 fuel pump relay ?

Views : 10869

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 13th, 2011, 18:11   #1
woodways3

Question P2 V70 fuel pump relay ?

Can anyone tell me for sure which is the fuel pump relay in my 02 estate petrol auto,?
A main dealer told me its just above the drivers foot well light,upon pulling this down i can see there are two relays,but i dont know which one it is,i dont want to leave one out and try starting in case a code comes up!
These cars have more electonics than a F1 car im sure.( far too much its over kill dont you think?
woodways3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 00:29   #2
bweebar

It's the one in the MI12 position. If you have front fogs, that's the other one and it will be in the MI11 position and can be swapped with the fuel pump until you get a replacement.

eBay item 260724138479 is the correct replacement.
bweebar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bweebar For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 09:41   #3
woodways3

Unhappy Relay

Thank you for that,but i still dont know which one it is ,the left hand one or the right hand one? they both are marked 12,i thought if i leave one out to test a fault code might appear.
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 15:22   #4
bweebar

Do you have front fog lights? If yes, the relay on the right is for the fuel pump.

The module into which the relays plug has markings labelling each position. You will need a torch to see them and I recall them being very hard to distinguish but they are there.

Edit: see attached image

Attached Images
File Type: png CEM.png (142.0 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by bweebar; Feb 14th, 2011 at 16:43. Reason: Added image
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 18:46   #5
woodways3

Unhappy Pump Relay

Hi thank you,
Yes i have fog lights and the car is RH drive,am i understanding this correct ?what the picture is showing is behind the cover beneath the steering wheel ie just above the floor light? having been down there i can only see two relays on the bottom row to the RH end,if this is the correct area maybe im not looking up high enough ! If the picture is ment to be the end of the dash board ,there are only fuses in ther no relays ! Confused .com !!!!!!
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 19:01   #6
bweebar

It is located above the driver's footwell.

Looking at the attachment, the left diagram shows the location in a LHD car, it is not the fuse panel at the end of the dashboard. The middle diagram shows the module as a whole. The right diagram shows the layout of the relays and shunts, some locations will not be populated.

I assume you have removed the kick panel above the footwell. It's been a while since I got at mine and I can't remember how much of the module is visible but you can definitely see the fuel pump and fog light relays because I had to replace mine.

Edit: See this link for a photo of the unit removed, the two relays at the bottom are fog lights on the left and fuel pump on the right.
http://www.carlight.nl/en/antwoord.php?vraag=12

Last edited by bweebar; Feb 14th, 2011 at 20:17. Reason: Added link
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 20:33   #7
woodways3

Default Relay

Hi thank you very much for your help ! you know your Volvo stuff !
Old Apr 23rd, 2011, 11:25   #8
pugley

Default Many Thanks to bweebar

I would like to express my thanks to bweebar for his help in locating the correct relay for the fuel pump on a Mk2 V70. Until I found this component the car was completely immobilised!

The relay board is not shown in the Haynes manual or the user handbook that came with the car. As this model is the first Can-bus version there are no similarities with previous wiring diagrams.

Thanks again

Pugley
pugley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2012, 21:19   #9
maxsweep

Hi I know this is an old thread but I was hoping I could add to it and get some help, I have the V70 2000 model so I believe the same as the one stated above.
You start the car it runs for a short period and then kind of suffocates and dies. So I believe from hours of searching it's this pesky fuel pump relay thats the problem.

But I can't see how to get to it I've looked at the pictures and been upside down in the drivers foot well trying to find a way in i took two screws out and then lost the guts a bit.

So firstly am i looking in the right place,
secondly am I missing a screw or being too gentle
and thirdly does my problem actually sound like a relay?
maxsweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 18:37   #10
joshua burbank

Default chiming in

for my 2001 v70xc
you have to take out the two screws on the same plastic panel that houses the light for the drivers gas/break pedals. try to remove the plastic without breaking it, and then feel up in there on your left hand side. there you sill find the two relays, fog left and fuel pump right. switch 'em and you'll know if your problem was the relay or not. it fixed the problem for me.
joshua burbank is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joshua burbank For This Useful Post: