Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1998 T4 P1 Still No Foglights :o(

Views : 10120

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2012, 18:58   #1
bar72

Default 1998 T4 P1 Still No Foglights :o(

hi all, as the post title states, i had no fog light when i got the car & m.o.t's looming..

replaced the foglight ECU up behind the instrument cluster [behind the speedo], just got a new headlight switch [working], checked fuse in interior fusebox [fuse not blown, ok] and checked the bulb in the tailight which is fine.

i bought the foglamp ECU off fleabay where the buyer assured me it was working when pulled but when i'm on dipped bean [position 2] and i press the switch for front or rear fogs, i don't get any of the indicator lights on the dash, neither can i hear a click, anyway to test ECU or is it the chance that both ECU's are dud?

getting close to weighing it in as i've just fitted cat / switch / ecu, 4 tyres and looks like she's needing pads all round, any ideas, greatly appreciated, thanks

Barry
bar72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2012, 23:02   #2
gatos
Premier Member

Hi Barry. I hope that the switch you bought from ebay is working fine. If it was only the front or only the rears not working, then I would suspect the wiring loom sorting at some point. However, since both front and rear are not working, then it must be one of the units or relays. Find the fuse for the fogs and replace it even if it looks ok. Also try to find out if one of the relays on the driver's footwell is for the fogs and let me know here or PM.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2012, 21:16   #3
bar72

ok, any help appreciated, i've fitted another foglamp ecu which is guaranteed working as it came from the same car i got the replacement headlight switch from, both were tested before i got them, still no fogs?

checked fuses inside the drivers footwell, fuse no. 6 which controls: side markers, numberplate light, light in the lightswitch, rear foglight switch & control light, front fogs, instruments dimmer, everything's working that is controlled by that fuse so it ain't that.

there's another fuse in the engine bay, fuse no. 4, which controls foglights, horn, control light & alarm, all these are working so it's not the fuse.

Checked the rear bulb in the driver's side tailight, it's also fine, so are the front ones.

Ran outta ideas now as everything else light wise is working fine on the car?

thanks the now..

is there any other relays which control fogs on a p1s40? i'm cracking up now
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 21:05   #4
bar72

Default Found the other Relay, unsure where?

finally! there is a relay for controlling rear fogs, in addition to the ECU above speedo.. here is a pic

relay part no. 30817501, anyone know whereabout this is under dashboard?

entered vin no from v5 in vadis and it pulled this diagram when i searched for fog lamp in component location )

thanks

Last edited by bar72; Apr 25th, 2012 at 21:12.
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 21:18   #5
gatos
Premier Member

I can have a look next time I go at Jabe's. But then again, what about the front ones?

Nullius in Verba
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 21:24   #6
bar72

as far as i can work out, the ECU controls fronts itself as i can't find nothing in vadis but the rear needs the ECU & the additional relay to work, think i'd rather have a p2 next time and just have the CEM for everything, spent hours on this now as she going for mot next week
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 21:45   #7
gatos
Premier Member

Silly question, but when you try the fogs, are your DRL lights on?

Nullius in Verba
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 21:49   #8
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Silly question, but when you try the fogs, are your DRL lights on?
that is a very good suggestion, caught me out when testing mine for the mot.
then i found out they only check the rear ones.
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 21:55   #9
gatos
Premier Member

And to add to that question,l when you push the fog light buttons, do they display a light on the instrument panel?

Nullius in Verba
Old Apr 25th, 2012, 23:18   #10
bar72

i have the headlight switch all the way to position ii, the far right, DLR's are on all the time, can't switch DLR's off on p1's or override them, if in position 0 or ii on the headlight switch, the dipped beam is on, if i put it at position i, as in switch at 12:00, the parking lights [side lights] are on,

when i push the fog light button for front or rear, i get nothing on the dash, i've had clocks out to change ecu and when i checked bulbs, they are intact..

ps, vadis also states there is a seperate relay for front fogs also, the ecu above the dash is just a reset relay to reset all fogs when ignition switched off so you don't restart car with fogs on

thanks again

Last edited by bar72; Apr 25th, 2012 at 23:25.

Tags
foglamp, headlight, relay, switch