Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help connecting/fixing electric heated seats

Views : 1593

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2012, 15:36   #1
geekman

Default Help connecting/fixing electric heated seats

According to the guy I bought it from, my 850 T5 has a T5R interior fitted, but only the drivers seat electrics and heating works - the passenger side is completely useless. I've had a look under each seat to see if I can spot any differences (e.g. if the driver's side has something connected which isn't connected in the passenger side, I can connect the passenger side and get it working)

I had a look and it looks like the passenger one isn't earthed but other than that I can't see any obvious differences - I'm utterly useless at electrics.

I've taken some photos of the wires underneath each seat, can anyone spot any reasons why the passenger side one isn't working?

Drivers side photos (WORKING)

Passenger side photos (NOT WORKING)

Cheers
geekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 10:11   #2
scutyde
Retrofit master

The grey connector on the right side of the pic in the background is the connector for the power seat (the controls of the seat).
1 is 12v hot all time
2 is ignition plus
3 is ground
4 diagnosis

You can skip diagnosis.
Download from MAtthewsvolvoSite the wiring diagramms for your car and you can see there where each cable goes. The connector for the grey connector can be bought at the dealer costs around 1€, the plugs for it costs also around 1€ per pcs

Numbers for the connectors are:

Grey Connector 968484
Contact (4x) 979004

You also need the big fuse (20A) looks like this http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...0406f664d2d05d goes under the lid from the fuse box at Pos 40.

The Cables for from the 4pole connector go as folllows:

Remove the cover from below the dashboard (passenger side). When you look up you will see a big connector (45 leads).

If your car is MY95 and bellow you need to connect as follows:

12v hot all times cable (which should be thick 2mm² ) at position 1 (you also need the Contact (1x) 979004)
12v ignition plus goes to pos 28 (standard ISO contact for the speakers is cheap in Ebay)
Diagnosis goes to pos 29 (standard ISO contact for the speakers is cheap in Ebay)

Ground goes behind the carpet on the rear seats. Take the carpet asige and you will see a ground point. The ground cable is also 2mm², the other 2 0,6

If your car is MY 96 or 97 then:
The connector in the dashboard looks different
You need 3 ISO contacts
12V hot all times goes to connector A pos 1
Diagnosis goes to connector B pos 9.
12V ignition plus is not connected.

For further questions ask

Cristian
scutyde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scutyde For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 13:28   #3
scutyde
Retrofit master

To the heating part of your problem

The heating pads are known to fail... Mine has a different setup as yours , I have the thermostat beneath the heating pad, and no relay as yours so I am not sure how the parts should be connected. From what I see in your pics some connectors are not "connected" on both sides. Does the heating work on the drivers seat?`

Take an multimeter and check the voltage at the cables coming in and out of the relay (the black box with the no 8684991). If you have 12v then most likely one of the pads or both are broken. You can measure each pad using the ohmeter function.

Last edited by scutyde; Nov 26th, 2012 at 13:33.
scutyde is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scutyde For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 19:55   #4
rallysteve
Master Member

The black box fitted to the right hand one is part of the factory recall for the heated seats. Its a timer which does away with the thermostat. I removed it on mine, I recrimped the broken terminals onto the thermostat in the seat base and reconnected the original wiring. Hope this helps.

Steve

1991 205 GTi Road Car
rallysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rallysteve For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 16:34   #5
geekman

Thanks guys, that does help. To be honest, it all looks a little too complicated to me: I've done small jobs like interior trim and mirrors no problem, but I think that might be a bit too tricky as I know nothing about electrics, never so much as crimped a wire in my life!
geekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30th, 2012, 20:02   #6
byootox
Premier Member

Steve, I couldn't help but notice your post about the black box factory recall for the heated seats, I've accidentally busted off the terminals on the thermostat on the drivers seat base cushion on my 99 v70 but when I bypass it the seat does heat ok, but not keen to use it in case in burns the leather.
Could I fit one of these relays instead ?
Does the black box relay cycle the heat pad off and on every so often ?
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote