Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo jack – how to stow?

Views : 1885

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 13th, 2013, 15:58   #1
simonvolvo

Default Volvo jack – how to stow?

I lost my original Volvo jack many years ago. I recently managed to get hold of a damaged replacement which I have repaired and is now as good as new again.

However, I can no longer remember how the jack is supposed to be stowed in the boot. There are two eyes on the floor of the boot (at A in the pic) and a rubber strap which I can use to hold down one end of the jack. But then there is nothing to hold down the other end of the jack, so it is liable to knock on the floor of the boot when travelling on a bumpy road. I seem to remember that the strap was actually intended to tie down the little bag with tools (which I no longer have) that came with the car originally.

There is another eye higher up (on the wheel arch, at B in the pic). What is that for?

Can anyone here help?

simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 16:52   #2
nozamaman
VOC Member

Default 120 jack

I think the jack should be stowed at a 45 degree angle on the inner nearside wheel arch using a rubber strap, when I had Amazon saloons I also used to attach a strap around the jack and the spare wheel to stop any rattling.
Not having owned a saloon for about 25 years I am relying on memory but I will have a look for some photos, but I am away Sunday so this will not be until Monday, I think I have the top rubber strap that is missing from your car.
nozamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 18:38   #3
johnsaab

That's the question I was about to post..spooky!
I wondered if the new 1/4 section someone had added was missing something?
A picture of a jack in place would be great!
johnsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2013, 23:29   #4
Derek UK
VOC Member

No jack in place but this might help. The jack is held in place by 2 rubber straps, the bottom one is longer. The are fixed with small sliding pegs through the ends. Very fiddly! The foot of the jack goes to rear of the 2 adjacent slotted tabs. The strap threads through these. The top tab is up on the inner wheel arch, just one there and the other is hidden away near the arch support, can't give an exact position for that one. There is a knack with the top one as you have to fit it so the handle doesn't rattle about. A bit of cloth helps. The tab on the inboard of the spare wheel well is for the bottom strap with a corresponding one on the edge of the boot opening directly above. Original strap has a locking ratchet.

Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 09:46   #5
johnsaab

Thanks Derek. As I suspected the new 1/4 added to Olaf doesn't have the 2 tabs.
I'm re-doing the lower 1/4s soon so will fabricate a new set of tabs.
johnsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 09:48   #6
simonvolvo

@ Nozamaman: The 45° makes sense. Didn’t think of that. If I put the jack _behind_ the flange on the wheel arch (see pic) it fits quite well. Also, with the foot of the jack not too close to the bottom eyes the tension in the rubber strap holds even the top of the jack down quite firmly. A piece of cloth between the jack and the wheel arch will protect the paintwork. But that doesn’t explain the purpose of the eye at B.

@Derek UK: I cannot remember ever having two of the straps with the sliding pegs at the ends. Just the one shown in my pic. It is about 15 cm long. (The rubber is still in pristine condition after more than 40 years. The metal fittings showed their age but I had them re-galvanized.)

I had a good look and cannot find the “hidden” tab at the top that you refer to, or anywhere else that I could attach a strap to.

My original strap for the spare wheel was a (long) elastic strap with a metal fitting at each end. The strap was quite flimsy and hasn’t survived (it lost its elasticity like the straps in the front seats normally do). I had the metal fittings (see bottom of pic) re-galvanized and intend to fit them with a Nylon ratchet strap.

Old Apr 14th, 2013, 10:47   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsaab View Post
Thanks Derek. As I suspected the new 1/4 added to Olaf doesn't have the 2 tabs.
I'm re-doing the lower 1/4s soon so will fabricate a new set of tabs.
The factory panel for that side comes with the tabs but I don't know if the pattern one does. Pattern one is of much thinner metal than the original. Originals, when you can find them, are expensive.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 10:50   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

Simon, as you can see, your pics aren't showing up. Photobucket works. Use the img link for copy/paste.
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 16:52   #9
simonvolvo

Okay. I struggled a bit with posting pics. I did try Photobucket but it didn’t work (and I don’t like it anyway - "you are the 1000000th visitor!" and all that nonsense). I ended up creating an album in this forum from where I linked to the pics, but I think the problem was that I designated the album “private”. The pics do show up when I read the thread.

In any event, the old system seems to be working again so I am re-posting the two pics in the tried and tested way:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4087.JPG (169.4 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF4088.JPG (173.2 KB, 16 views)
Old Apr 14th, 2013, 17:37   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

The bottom fixing is correct but the top of the jack should go adjacent to the B mount and against the wheel arch support plate. Interesting that your jack has a square base, I have only seen round ones before. There are at least two different lengths and they can be either greeny grey or black. Anyone, make sure you have the rubber snubber fitted at the top to protect your paint as you wind up the jack
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: