Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adjusting the bonnet hinges

Views : 1540

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2014, 21:14   #1
simonvolvo

Default Adjusting the bonnet hinges

Any bright ideas on how to go about doing this?

The object of the exercise, obviously, is to line up the bonnet nicely with the car body when the bonnet is closed.
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 21:19   #2
amazon69
Premier Member

Loosen them enough to move the bonnet on the hinges (not too loose), then lower the bonnet to gauge alignment with the wings, and then bump it left and right from the lower position. Lift, tighten. As to the height of the back of the bonnet, that's a bit more trial and error..ie tighten the bolts, see how high it sits, if too high, loosen, push down, tighten, repeat, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amazon69 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 10:50   #3
simonvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazon69 View Post
Loosen them enough to move the bonnet on the hinges (not too loose), then lower the bonnet to gauge alignment with the wings, and then bump it left and right from the lower position. Lift, tighten. As to the height of the back of the bonnet, that's a bit more trial and error..ie tighten the bolts, see how high it sits, if too high, loosen, push down, tighten, repeat, etc.
Thank you. But I still have a problem.

My thinking was that you should first adjust the height on the two sides (by adjusting the fixings of the hinges to the body). If you adjust the height after having adjusted the fixing of the hinges to the bonnet, the adjustments already made go out of kilter. That is because by moving the hinges up or down they also move backward or forward (due to the +- 45° slope).

In my case, however, I can’t get beyond the first stage (adjusting the height). The left hand side of the bonnet is a little too low whilst the fixing of the hinge to the body on that side has been adjusted up as far as it can go. The right hand side of the bonnet, again, is a little too high whilst the fixing of the hinge on that side has been adjusted down as far as it can go. I have put some spacers between the bonnet and the hinge on the left hand side, and that improves things a little, but it just doesn’t seem right to me that one should have to do that.

Is my chassis and/or bonnet bent, or am I doing something wrong?
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 18:51   #4
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

the hinges are handed aswell so make sure they have been fitted the correct way round left fro right etc

kind regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 123GT-AMAZON For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 21:44   #5
Volvorama
Too many cats

Default Wear

It's often the case that the pins/rivets in the hinge mechanism have worn such that it does not pull the bonnet down completely.
The hinges also get bent sometimes too.
Old Feb 16th, 2014, 21:22   #6
simonvolvo

Stupid me!

It suddenly dawned on me that the height of the rear of the bonnet is determined not by the height of the hinge, but by the height of the rear sealing strip! All that the adjustment up/down of the hinge does is to change how hard the hinge pulls down on the bonnet.

With that profound insight I was able to sort the problem.

Apologies for having wasted your time.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 12:59   #7
Bladerider
Amazoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonvolvo View Post
Stupid me!

It suddenly dawned on me that the height of the rear of the bonnet is determined not by the height of the hinge, but by the height of the rear sealing strip! All that the adjustment up/down of the hinge does is to change how hard the hinge pulls down on the bonnet.

With that profound insight I was able to sort the problem.

Apologies for having wasted your time.
So how did you sort the problem? the sealing strip is not adjustable.
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 19:49   #8
simonvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerider View Post
So how did you sort the problem? the sealing strip is not adjustable.
A piece of small-diameter rubber tubing under the left hand rear edge of the bonnet, to bring it to the same level as the right hand side. A temporary fix. You’re right, the sealing strip is not adjustable, but the rubber has hardened so I really should get a new one.
The Following User Says Thank You to simonvolvo For This Useful Post: