Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 D5 2006 - Battery drain - Fuse #43 - Audio system, RTI

Views : 6162

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2014, 20:53   #1
arisetobe

Default V50 D5 2006 - Battery drain - Fuse #43 - Audio system, RTI

Hi there, first post here. I've recently bought my great V50 D5 2006, but experienced battery drain issues (over 24 hours the battery voltage dropped from 12.3V to 11.3V). So first thing I did is I have bought a new battery recently (Varta F18), but it did not solve the problem. After reading many articles on how to analyse the problem I have bought a clamp meter, a multimeter and have spent today couple of hours to check the problem.

1. In a calm state, everything off, doors closed for about 5-10 mins, I can see battery drain of 1,3A.
2. Firstly using voltage drop method I have checked that the fuse #43 (in the internal fusebox, 15A default) has about 5mV drop, according to a table it should be about 1A
3. The operation manual says that the fuse/circuit is responsible for "Telephone, audio system, RTI" and an additional manual that I have downloaded from internet says also that fuse #43 is responsible for "Integrated Audio Module (IAM), RTI Display, Phone Module (PHM), Multimedia Module (MMM)".
4. I don't have a phone in the car, but I do have navigation, everything works great and I have never noticed any issue neither with the navigation nor with the radio etc.
5. So I have decided to remove that fuse and have immediately noticed that the drain have been reduced to about 50mA and when connected, the drain have increased to about 3A and then after a minute or so have again become about 1,3A..

I have already ordered a Chinese Dice/Vida, maybe it can show something more specific, but maybe anyone already experienced the same problem and/or can suggest on what exactly the problem can be or what I can also check?

Thank you for your time reading this. Really appreciate any help. And.. nevertheless, like the car very much and will fix this thing.

P.S. Using voltmeter I have metered about 14,3V when engine is running, so the alternator should be ok, as I understand.

Last edited by arisetobe; Jul 16th, 2014 at 23:10.
arisetobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 16:07   #2
arisetobe

Any ideas?
That might be either radio or Multimedia Module, or nav DVD player..
Just in case if I would need to install a new (used) device, do you know if I can install a better one? Like CD changer or updated nav system (from 2007-2008 years model?)
Old Jul 17th, 2014, 22:44   #3
Rooster
Speed freak

Phone Modules not going to sleep as it should,

They can be looped out with a fiber optic bridge cable to keep audio system working so you can disconnect it to see if it cures your battery drain,

There is probably a software upgrade out for it but there is a real chance that it might kill it if it is attempted,
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 10:11   #4
arisetobe

Thanks Rooster! However I don't have any phone in the car, do you mean there might be any unused phone module installed?

I have just received the Chinese Dice today and might check the car this evening. I know I won't be able to update the software by myself, but does anyone know if I can see the actual car software version in Vida? And if there any ways to check if there is any update available for my car? Any lists online? Or only an official station can know that?

Last edited by arisetobe; Jul 18th, 2014 at 10:16.
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 10:21   #5
arisetobe

Ok, I managed to read codes today.. Apart from other some minor things that were related most likely with the dead battery cases I found this very interesting thing:

----------------------------------------------------------------
393: ICM-E003 Configuration fault. Faulty configuration

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) information ICM-E003

Condition
The infotainment control module (ICM) compares its configuration ID with the signal configuration transmitted on the control area network (CAN) by the central electronic module (CEM). If the configuration IDs do not correspond the fault code is stored. The diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is also stored if the communication between the infotainment control module (ICM) and the central electronic module (CEM) is interrupted.

Note! In the event of an open-circuit in both the control area network (CAN) cables, it is not possible to communicate with the infotainment control module (ICM). Therefore it will only be possible to read off the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) if this type of fault is intermittent. When the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) is stored, the control module responds to the diagnostic commands. However normal control area network (CAN) communication does not work (”Expulsion mode”).

Substitute value
None.

Possible source
Faulty control area network (CAN) configuration ID. (The node is not intended for this car (for example a used control module with different software/hardware))
Open-circuit in the control area network (CAN) wiring between the infotainment control module (ICM) and the central electrical module (CEM).

Fault symptom[s]
The radio buttons on the steering wheel do not function
The navigation buttons on the steering wheel do not function
The display does not light.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Now.. I have never experienced any fault symptoms.. So here are the questions:
- What should I do now? Only go to official service?
- Can I somehow update configuration ID by myself?
- What is ICM (Infotainment control module)? Is this radio/cd or anything else?
- Should I just try to get there and unplug/plug/check the wires?
- Then, is there a way to reset all the codes so that I can see if the problem have been solved?

Please help.
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 14:34   #6
arisetobe

Continuing the story.. Just removed the central console and the radio. While disconnected every cable, measured in real time amperage on the fuse. Nothing changed (about 1A drain) until I disconnected the CD/Radio. Now will make a quick switch to disconnect that fuse, so that at least temporary it won't drain the battery.

Does this mean I need a new radio? I have 1CD radio, can I buy and install 6CD changer there?
Old Jul 19th, 2014, 14:46   #7
arisetobe

Found some threads that the new(used) unit will need to be "paired" with the car. Can I do that myself in the Vida or should ask an official station?
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 12:05   #8
arisetobe

Since no one writes here, I will write.. Coz the show must go on.. :-)

Just wrote to the official dealer with whom we discussed the matter before.Initially they told me just to bring the car to their place and they will investigate. They haven't said anything how much time they would need, only mentioned that hourly price cost about 110Eur.. He-he.. :-)

So below is my email to them, will see what they will answer (if they answer at all). I expect something - "you should not disassemble the car, we can not help you" or "just come to us and we'll investigate".. Will be surprised really if they can give any correct answer at all.

Dear *****,

Please excuse me for the delay in answering you. Just did my best to investigate the source of battery drain. Now I believe I know that and have a question to your electrician. Would really appreciate if you could ask him and then we could make an appointment. The text below is detailed and complex, sorry, I believe, only electrician will understand.

------------
The problem was that in 3 days the battery was totally discharged. After measuring voltage of the battery, the charge drops from 12.6-12.9v to 11.6v in 24hours and then to 8v in 3days.

I did following:
1. Installed new battery. It did not solve the problem. Also, the alternator charges the battery at about 13.8-14.3A when the motor is running.
2. Using a clamp meter measured constant parasitic drain of about 1A. Using voltage drop method with a multi meter checked all the fuses and found that fuse #43 (Telephone, audio system, RTI) takes about 1A constantly. I don't have any phone in the car, but have navigation.
3. Removed the fuse, the overall car drain current immediately dropped to 8-60mA which is ok.
4. Disassembled the central console, removed and disconnected the cd/radio unit (please see the images attached) - the battery drain stopped.
5. Vida/Dice shows no errors, other than those minor caused by loose of battery power by the car recently.

Now I have 3 questions:
1. Can any car/radio software update solve the problem? I've heard that some american cars did have the problem with sirius radio which drained the battery, but my car is 100% european without any sirius radio.
2. If I buy and install a used cd/radio kit, would I need a software update to pair the units? Can I install a 6CD changer radio instead of 1CD radio that I have now (if anyway I would need to change it)?
3. How much the software update would cost?
------------

I would really appreciate if you could pass this to the electrician and get some answers. I believe this is much better when I explain everything in writing and test everything so that we don't need to spend useless time trying to figure out what caused the parasitic drain, but instead directly fix the problem.

Best regards,

-------------------------------

P.S. By the way, drove about 600km this weekend on some Autobahns.. The beast drives 220Km/h easily.. :-) And that sound! Very satisfied with the car..

Last edited by arisetobe; Jul 21st, 2014 at 12:11.
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 13:45   #9
arisetobe

got an answer:

-------------

Dear *****,

I’ve showed your Mail to my colleague, and he told me, that there’s unfortunately no Software Update for the radio. Also there’s no 6CD changer radio for your car. So the only chance to fix the problem is that you bring your car and we have to check the issue.

I’m sorry for giving you no better solution in the moment.

Best regards,

--------------

As expected.. :-)
So my next step is to get a used cd radio on ebay, and try to connect it see if it works and/or drains the battery…

Does anyone think it might be not the radio but the computer unit which does not turn off the radio completely? Please advice! I believe there should be smart people here!
Old Jul 21st, 2014, 20:12   #10
arisetobe

..ok.. this is going to be a thriller.. today I have more carefully measured the current on the car. It appeared that not only the radio have drained the battery but also the fuse #11 in the hood fuse box. The manual says it is "Relay reversing light, Relay interior lighting or CEM (Central electronic module)" - that compartment area fuse box.. Manual brute force taking every fuse out and in did not help - stable drain of about 400mA (radio have drained about 1A independently, until I removed it's fuse).

The interesting thing is that VIDA does not show that something is wrong with the CEM.. :-/ Will probably go to the dealer to either update the software (if possible) or change the CEM.. seem to be about 1k EUR minimum.. :-/

Last edited by arisetobe; Jul 21st, 2014 at 20:30.

Tags
audio, battery drain, rti