Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Geartronic Winter Mode

Views : 7911

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 18th, 2015, 17:55   #1
Considered1
Premier Member

Default Geartronic Winter Mode

Took me a while to find this in the manual so thought I'd share. Havent used it yet, ask me again later this week if this weather keeps up..

Geartronic - Winter mode
It can be easier to pull away on slippery roads if 3rd gear is engaged manually.
1. Depress the brake pedal and move the gear selector from D position to the end position at "+S–" - the combined instru- ment panel changes indication from D to the figure 110.
2. Scroll up to gear 3 by pushing the lever forward towards "+" (plus) twice - the dis- play shifts the indication from 1 to 3.
3. Release the brake and accelerate care- fully.
9 With some engines only.
10 If the car has Sport mode* then "S" is shown first.
The gearbox "winter mode" means that the car moves off with a lower engine speed and reduced engine power on the drive wheels.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Considered1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 18:13   #2
andymcp
Premier Member

Read this the other day, tried it in the snow and can confirm its the dog's proverbial - no dramas getting out the drifts when you come back to find it buried.

Mine: 2014 V60 D4 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
Mrs McP: 2013 V40 D2 R-Design Lux Nav
andymcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 18:23   #3
Considered1
Premier Member

Cheers Andy, one question I do have is with the flappy paddles do I still need to be in sport mode. I did try just using the paddles when stuck in 2cm of snow over the holidays and it went nowhere which I just assumed was the lack of winter tyres.
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 18:26   #4
andymcp
Premier Member

I didn't try without sport - just followed the manual (working assumption was that if they have set the winter mode to expect sport + 3rd gear then not having sport engaged might not produce the expected results). Looks pretty cold this week so might try it again without sport and see. There are winter tyres on mine though.

The Following User Says Thank You to andymcp For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 18:40   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

It can also help to turn of DTSC if you do get stuck in the snow - though what we had this morning had melted with 10 mins .

PInterestingly my v70 had a button that you pressed to engage winter mode on the gearbox, started in 3rd as a result and changes were reduced to keep you in a higher gear than you normally for the road speed, I wonder why they dropped that?
Old Jan 18th, 2015, 20:04   #6
andymcp
Premier Member

Worth pointing out for those with the new D4 Geartronic that Eco+ mode also maps the gear shifts earlier in the rev range, helps a lot with keeping traction going. Just be careful with the downhill coast function!

Old Jan 20th, 2015, 00:56   #7
Flux
Premier Member

Tried out the geartronic winter mode today. Wasn't aware until I saw considered's post. Quite neat and easy to do. You can actually use this mode to go up and down the full range of gears with a quick nudge of the stick. Holds the gear you're in until you manually change (unlike flappies mode that gets overridden by the electronics) and notice a little arrow appear above the selected gear telling you to shift up. You could actually drive like that if inclined but no real point. Effectively five driving modes on geartronic to choose from. Normal, winter, sport, eco and flappies.

Must say though that I didn't try using the flappies in the winter mode (if indeed you can) as I think that might have given me a nosebleed from too many options!

Winter mode a nice touch though and useful to override standard geartronic telemetry when conditions dictate that manual intervention is needed [in snowy conditions]. All I need now is some snow..........but also probably winter tyres to keep me on the straight and narrow....which I don't have!

Last edited by Flux; Jan 20th, 2015 at 01:09.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 05:22   #8
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considered1 View Post
Took me a while to find this in the manual so thought I'd share. Havent used it yet, ask me again later this week if this weather keeps up..

Geartronic - Winter mode
It can be easier to pull away on slippery roads if 3rd gear is engaged manually.
1. Depress the brake pedal and move the gear selector from D position to the end position at "+S–" - the combined instru- ment panel changes indication from D to the figure 110.
2. Scroll up to gear 3 by pushing the lever forward towards "+" (plus) twice - the dis- play shifts the indication from 1 to 3.
3. Release the brake and accelerate care- fully.
9 With some engines only.
10 If the car has Sport mode* then "S" is shown first.
The gearbox "winter mode" means that the car moves off with a lower engine speed and reduced engine power on the drive wheels.
On my xc90 geartronic it has a winter button (W) by the gear selector which does the same thing.
I am suprised to know that yours does not or am I being thick?
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 06:53   #9
Brodick
Master Member

No, the XC60, S60/V60 geartronic boxes do not have a 'W' Button
( certainly in diesel configurations )

It has always been a case of third gear lift off in the xc60, S&V60.
I thought this would be fairly common knowledge.
A driver should know how best to drive his or her vehicle at all times.
Brodick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brodick For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 20th, 2015, 09:14   #10
Flux
Premier Member

No such button on the MY14.5 and beyond (not sure about MY14) and you only know about the Winter Mode option by reading the manual (or reading the forum!). No button to press on mine, apart from the Eco+ mode.

Last edited by Flux; Jan 20th, 2015 at 09:21.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flux For This Useful Post:

Tags
geartronic winter mode