Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 Electrics : Battery flattening fault?

Views : 917

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2015, 20:41   #1
Mike Hunter

Default C70 Electrics : Battery flattening fault?

Symptoms are -

The red "I'm Locked" LEDs in the internal door handles stay on continuously (normally they go out after about 5 minutes).
Next morning the battery is completely flat.

This has happened a couple of times before, each time after a week or so of short runs (so the battery may have been a bit low anyway which could possibly have caused a malfunction). This time it has happened after a 50 mile round trip, so the charge should have been fairly good.

The battery itself is supposedly good - it is my wife's car and the first time it happened she took it to Halfords who (amazingly) declined to sell her a new battery after testing the current one, saying that it was "OK for another few years".

Anyone come across this before and have an idea on what might be causing the drain?

Thanks
Mike
Mike Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2015, 21:10   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hunter View Post
Symptoms are -

The red "I'm Locked" LEDs in the internal door handles stay on continuously (normally they go out after about 5 minutes).
Next morning the battery is completely flat.

This has happened a couple of times before, each time after a week or so of short runs (so the battery may have been a bit low anyway which could possibly have caused a malfunction). This time it has happened after a 50 mile round trip, so the charge should have been fairly good.

The battery itself is supposedly good - it is my wife's car and the first time it happened she took it to Halfords who (amazingly) declined to sell her a new battery after testing the current one, saying that it was "OK for another few years".

Anyone come across this before and have an idea on what might be causing the drain?

Thanks
Mike
The roof control module can drain the battery , so try a roof control module software upgrade first .
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 00:58   #3
Mike Hunter

Thanks.
I think that the software is fairly up to date, but I'll rig up a meter and pull the roof fuses to see if that is it.
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 21:23   #4
Mike Hunter

Thanks again! - it looks as though it *was* the roof causing the problem.

The car was left unlocked overnight and started OK this morning.
After a 25 mile run my wife checked the roof operation and it did not work at all.
She pressed the button in the boot opening and after that the roof worked OK and on locking the car the "I'm locked" lights went out as they should.

I seems that the button in the boot opening must have got knocked when she pulled out the shopping yesterday. We now know what to check if it happens again.
Old Nov 10th, 2015, 21:58   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hunter View Post
Thanks again! - it looks as though it *was* the roof causing the problem.

The car was left unlocked overnight and started OK this morning.
After a 25 mile run my wife checked the roof operation and it did not work at all.
She pressed the button in the boot opening and after that the roof worked OK and on locking the car the "I'm locked" lights went out as they should.

I seems that the button in the boot opening must have got knocked when she pulled out the shopping yesterday. We now know what to check if it happens again.
There is a known problem with the roof control unit staying live , a software upgrade will fix this if it is your problem , I do not think this gets updated at the service .
Old Nov 11th, 2015, 00:49   #6
Mike Hunter

When the car last went in to a main dealer (18-24 months ago) they said that they had upgraded "ALL" the software to the latest standard - sounds like they were fibbing and it had better go back again!
Old Nov 30th, 2015, 15:27   #7
Mike Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There is a known problem with the roof control unit staying live , a software upgrade will fix this if it is your problem , I do not think this gets updated at the service .
Hi Clan

Can you throw any more light on this "known roof problem"?

The lock lights staying on is happening more and more frequently now.
We've contacted the main dealer in Winchester, who confirm that all software updates applicable to the car have been performed, but claim to have no knowledge of the "known fault", nor of a specific software update for the roof operation.

They *did* offer to do diagnostic work for an open-ended time at £132 per hour. How kind of them!

PS - I didn't make it clear above :

The problem ***IS*** definitely associated with the roof - fiddling with the roof always fixes it.

Last edited by Mike Hunter; Nov 30th, 2015 at 17:19. Reason: PS added