Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rusty brake-line (hard line)

Views : 4743

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 19th, 2016, 15:02   #1
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Default Rusty brake-line (hard line)

Morning gang,
Well all this time I've been thinking that my hard brake lines are in great shape. I've assumed this to be the case because the lines under the car look fantastic. However, yesterday I popped off the access panel where the fuel filter is located (so that I could replace my handbrake cable) and I found some pretty advanced rust on the outer-most rear brake line. I was not able to scrape any of it off for further inspection but it doesn't look great. Below are two pics that give you a good appreciation for what I was seeing.

Question #1: What's the "common" practice around replacing these? Replace the whole thing, cut a new piece in? Do I really need to go with a ?double-flare? connection or can I slam a compression piece in at both ends of the piece I'm cutting out? I of course want to do things safely but not "dealership safe," if you know what I mean.

Question #2: What are the two other lines next to the two brake lines? They are slightly thicker and have some corrosion on them but not a ton.

Cheers

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 15:59   #2
green van man
Premier Member

I would splice a new length in. I have successfully done it by using a male and female union with one double flair and one single. I have also used a connecting piece with 2 female threads and 2 male connectors with double flares on the pipe.

This was the reason I baught a draper hand flareing tool so that I could flare pipes in situe on the cars.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 17:32   #3
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Umm! Looks like a spot or two of Iron Oxide alright!

If you are a long term player, use Copper pipes and replace the lot without joins, but if that is too much work or expense, then do a cut and splice job using steel lines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL7BQKPhV2k

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 19th, 2016 at 17:39.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2016, 20:58   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

The two larger diameter pipes are fuel lines. You have found the hidden spot where the rear brake pipes always corrode.

I replaced mine last year with Kunifer pipes from the front bulkhead all the way to the rear - single lengths. I dropped the tank and found corrosion on the underside of the rear seat pan - above the tank - so treated that as well. Attachment shows new pipes fitted before replacing fuel tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20151030_001.jpg (195.2 KB, 143 views)
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 13:35   #5
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
The two larger diameter pipes are fuel lines. You have found the hidden spot where the rear brake pipes always corrode.

I replaced mine last year with Kunifer pipes from the front bulkhead all the way to the rear - single lengths. I dropped the tank and found corrosion on the underside of the rear seat pan - above the tank - so treated that as well. Attachment shows new pipes fitted before replacing fuel tank.
Wow, really clean job, nicely done! Was it hard to pass the pipes through with all the other stuff in situ? Did you bend as required while you placed it? And finally...did you have access to a lift or did you do it in the drive? Also, was the corrosion above the tank worse than at the fuel pump location?

When you say "from the front bulkhead" did you splice in at that point or do you mean that you replaced the whole line?

Old Apr 20th, 2016, 16:13   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
Wow, really clean job, nicely done! Was it hard to pass the pipes through with all the other stuff in situ? Did you bend as required while you placed it? And finally...did you have access to a lift or did you do it in the drive? Also, was the corrosion above the tank worse than at the fuel pump location?

When you say "from the front bulkhead" did you splice in at that point or do you mean that you replaced the whole line?
Once the fuel tank is removed, it is quite easy to get to the brake pipes. It just needed a couple of hand brake brackets undoing to get enough room to remove the pipes in one length. The corrosion above the tank were a couple of spots where it had just started.
On the bulk head - nearside - is a union where the pipes come down from the master cylinder and then the rear pipes join. I undid the rear pipes at that union and replaced them in one length. To be honest the pipes had not corroded where they run along underneath the body, so the pipes could have been cut off by the tank and just the rear sections replaced. however, with the tank removed they might just as well be replaced from the front.
I used the old pipes as a pattern and formed the new ones to fit and then tweeked them once on the car. piccie attached. Yes, I do have a four post lift so working under the car is easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Brake Pipe.jpg (177.3 KB, 76 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2016, 18:16   #7
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Thank you. That is very helpful. Is removing the fuel tank very difficult?

Old Apr 20th, 2016, 20:06   #8
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Thank you. That is very helpful. Is removing the fuel tank very difficult?
Removing the tank is straightforward and not too difficult.

First thing to do is make sure the two securing straps can be undone. May need some releasing fluid on the bolts. Once you know the straps can be removed, remove the access panel under the back seat and disconnect the fuel lines and electric plug to the fuel pump. Then underneath the car disconnect the two fuel filler pipes where they go into the tank. The Jubilee clips will be rusted and may need hacksawing off. Although I had made sure the tank was nearly empty I syphoned the remaining petrol out via the filler tube. I thought I could suck on the tube and stop before I got a mouthful of petrol -how wrong I was - a mouthful of finest unleaded is not a pleasant experience.

Once the pipes to the fuel pump and filler tube are disconnected the tank straps can be undone and the tank lowered. The tank is plastic so not very heavy. I did remove the fuel filter first, but this is not really necessary as it can be done once the tank is lowered. All the fuel lines are quick release couplings so should disconnect easily. I'm sure you do not need me to say mark the pipes before disconnecting

Although it is a bit of a pain removing the tank, it does enable the replacement of the brake pipes so much easier and also a good opportunity to have a good clean up around the floor pan. Volvo did not use any underseal around that area so it is vulnerable to corrosion.
Attachment shows the corrosion on the chassis member and brake pipe that goes behind the tank to the driver's side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20151024_002.jpg (200.8 KB, 85 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2016, 20:47   #9
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Thanks, ITS. Looks like that will be a job for me before the year is out. I see that you also get great access to the exhaust flange while the tank is off...I'll need to inspect my repair job while I'm in there!

Old Apr 21st, 2016, 21:51   #10
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Thanks, ITS. Looks like that will be a job for me before the year is out. I see that you also get great access to the exhaust flange while the tank is off...I'll need to inspect my repair job while I'm in there!
It may look daunting to start with, but once the tank is out, there is a massive void and makes easy access to the underside of the car. Well worth doing in my opinion. Good luck
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: