Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Timing gear replacement

Views : 7918

Replies : 52

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 26th, 2016, 08:38   #11
Hat

I have the alloy set, and is very quiet.
Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 09:55   #12
paul staines

I had the steel set from Brookhouse. Was very noisy at first. Not now !. Do not regret fitting it. Regards Paul.
paul staines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 12:26   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

The bend to lock washer for the bronze plate has been replaced in the kit by screws which come with some Loctite stuff already on the threads. Being as this change is after all of the manuals has anyone any idea as to the torque setting for these now? 35-40ft/lbs? I posted 85ft/lbs with thread locker for the cam nut but see in my notes 75ft/lbs with blue Loctite 243. Which is correct?

I'm going with the fibre gears, maybe just the big gear will get changed and you can't do that with metal gears as they have to be changed as a pair.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 13:55   #14
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Derek;

I'd look up torque range for a 1/4-20 Grade 8 bolt to confirm, but 35-45 ft/lbs sounds about right...if depending on Loktite, assure hole is clean and dry before installation...but you knew that!

There's nothing wrong with replacing only fibre gear if metal gear has not been damaged...

Having had a Camnut back off because of sloppy Cam threads (on a brand new Turbo motor we built...talk about one's heart sinking into ones shorts a few minutes after first Start, hearing a similar but intermittent noise of Camnut papping into back side of Timing Cover...), I now drill and safety wire Cam nuts, but Loktite would certainly also do the trick here. For tightening Torque, my InterEurope Manual for the 120/1800 as well as also 140 specifies 94-108Ft/Lbs.

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2016, 14:18   #15
Derek UK
VOC Member

The 94-108 figure was reduced by Volvo as they had a spate of broken off cam noses. I haven't looked it up but I believe they put out a Workshop bulletin giving the lower figure + Loctite. Was asking if the number was 75 or 85ft/lbs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2016, 14:49   #16
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Derek;

I realize what you asked, but the first thing I would normally do is consult the books, so that's what I did...thanks for making me aware that this was indeed changed by Bulletin!...as far as 75 or 85Ft/Lbs, if I wasn't certain, I'd make it 80...what does Bulletin call for?

Cheers
Old May 26th, 2016, 19:30   #17
Derek UK
VOC Member

I can't find a bulletin about it on 1800/Amazon pictures. A lot of those came from the folder I have. Someone like Mike Dudek might know if it is actually in print.

EDIT - From Scandix catalogue.

"Volvo once gave a tightening torque for the camshaft nut of 13 - 15 kpm (94-108 ft/lbs). When installing, the threaded end could be stripped. A maximum torque of 80nm (59ft/lbs) should not be exceeded. For additional security, Loctite should be used."

Looks like I got the 80 right but wrong measurement. Let's just say 60ft/lbs + Blue Loctite.

Last edited by Derek UK; May 26th, 2016 at 20:32. Reason: extra
Old May 26th, 2016, 20:46   #18
Amazonjulian
Master Member

36 mm socket available here too if needed. Good luck with it Derek
Amazonjulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 22:22   #19
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Derek;

Thanks for locating supporting info...I will annotate my manuals to that effect!

Cheese
Old May 27th, 2016, 12:24   #20
Derek UK
VOC Member

Cam nut is actually 1 7/16". My metric socket rail goes up to 34 I find, but will look out for one or the other at Enfield this weekend. 36mm only £7-8 posted on eBay anyway. Here's me buying things and than maybe having it done in the garage. The engine guy is back from hols next Tuesday so will be in for a chat. He may not be too keen.............. Gear kit arrived from Simon this morning along with a sump gasket. Will also buy a sheet of gasket paper (thick) to make up a bridge piece for the bottom of the timing case to save cutting the expensive full one if it isn't needed.

1.417 36mm
1.418 1 7/16 AF

Close enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: