Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'How To' Oil & Filter change

Views : 2240

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2016, 22:51   #1
Lozza
Events occur in real time

Default 'How To' Oil & Filter change

Without geting into a 'I only change my oil when/don't change my oil until/only use/yada yada/yet another oil thread' scenario, the following is a 'how to' on changing the engine oil & filter on the D5 XC90.

(I also used the opportunity to drain out what was 'drainable' on the auto trans, and refilled that. That amouts to 3.5-4l of AW1 fluid).

XC90 service schedules dictate 1 year/18k miles before the engine oil and filter are changed. I'm still very old school in changing fluids after the first few miles on any car or bike and can't/won't wait a year.
Auto trans fluid changes don't even feature on routine service schedules but the 'box is a very expensive collection of components that wear. Transmission fluid condition is often overlooked with the 'Manufacturer Sealed for Life' slogan.
Again, if it can be changed, I'll do it.

Only genuine parts have been used, together with the correct spec of fluids. I hope the following is of interest to those wishing to do the same/similar.

This post focusses on the oil & filter change only. Mileage was at 1350.

Castrol Edge Professional V 0W-20 oil. Badged Volvo Cars (I had 6l, used 5).
Volvo Oil Filter Insert part number 31372212 comes with 2 O ring seals
Volvo transmission oil 4l part number 31256775

I reused my Dimple Magnetic Sump Plug from my V70 as it's an exact fit. New sealing washer used.
Genuine Volvo Filter Wrench part number 9997499, although there will be several cap type wrenches available from all sorts of sources.

With engine oil warm to aid drainage, remove engine undertray, undo the 10 Torx screws and compress the two plastic clips (one front edge, one rear - identical in style to those found on the insulation on the underside of the bonnet - if you want to look at those first).

Remove engine oil filler cap to aid drainage.
Undo engine sump plug and catch draining oil in a suitable container. Expect a good 5l.

Undo the small Torx screw in the centre of the oil filter housing. Catch oil in a suitable container.
This has a small O ring seal, replace it with the small O ring seal included with the filter.
This drains (most of), the oil from the filter housing only.

Using filter wrench remove filter housing catching any further oil. Pull off the old filter insert, clean housing inside and out, fit new filter insert. Replace large O ring seal with the large O ring seal included with the filter.

Clean casting on bottom of engine where filter housing screws into.

Smear a small amount of clean engine oil onto large O ring to aid sealing and prevent pinching.
Fit new filter insert and housing, tighten hand tight. Screw in Torx screw with small O ring. Do not over tighten.

Refit engine sump plug when draining has finished, use a new metal washer. Tighten to 35Nm.

Fill with lovely new golden oil.

Start engine, check for leaks. I used 5l and the electronic engine oil level was spot on.
Re fit engine under tray.

Job done.
2005 S40 2.0D SE (Sold)
Lozza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lozza For This Useful Post: