Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

which motor?

Views : 1905

Replies : 37

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2017, 17:10   #21
I-S
Premier Member

That's the correct Tax. The 2.5T and 3.2 both fall into that (band L).

The T6 is band M (£535).

Astonishingly the asthmatic 2.0F is the next worst petrol, in band K (£295).

The only vaguely sensible to tax P3 V70 petrols are the Ford-engined T4 (1.6 Turbo, 180bhp (Fiesta ST engine)) and T5 (240bhp 2.0 turbo, Ford Ecoboost) in bands G-J (depending on year and transmission). However, these are rarer than rocking-unicorn droppings.

Your 2002 car is capped at Band K because it was in the top band in 2002 when it was released, and they didn't retro-act bands L and M when they were introduced in 2006. So, you'll find that the same model of car can cost £305 on an 06 plate, and £520 on a 56 plate. Of course, that exemption doesn't apply to any P3 V70.
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-S For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 10:55   #22
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony427 View Post
If you are travelling abroad LPG is far more common than over here ( its everywhere in every country) and even cheaper.
Not everywhere. Here, it's pretty much non-existent. You have to be careful about where you go, if you have an LPG car, or you may run out of gas, literally.

Apart from that, in general, people tend to focus a lot on fuel consumption and tend to forget what's usually the biggest part of your car cost, depreciation.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 11:16   #23
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Not everywhere. Here, it's pretty much non-existent. You have to be careful about where you go, if you have an LPG car, or you may run out of gas, literally.

Apart from that, in general, people tend to focus a lot on fuel consumption and tend to forget what's usually the biggest part of your car cost, depreciation.
But the car will depreciate no matter which one I buy. So I keep it out of equation.
Together with servicing (every car needs that)
Insurance (true, there is slight difference petrol/diesel, but try to use any car without one)

I calculate on big factors.

Ie:
Few years back I had a choice between Honda Accord, for some 3grand, taking diesel at around 33mpg, and V70 with lots of miles on it, petrol going as low as 16mpg urban. For £800.
On fuel consumption I would never ever save enough to cover the price difference between these 2.

So I'm here, on this forum, not Honda's
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2017, 18:39   #24
Simon Jones
Premier Member

In answer to the query about how much the LPG service costs, for mine it was £120 + VAT which includes software update, diagnostics, inspection of components and new filter. I also got him to reconfigure the LEDs on the display from red to green 'cos I fancied a change .

That was a 2 year/25,000 service at an independent Prins-approved garage. Fair play to Rob at Sutton Scotney Garage who I phoned yesterday lunchtime and he fitted me in first thing this morning: http://suttonscotneycars.co.uk/
2001 V70 D5 - sold
2000 V70 Classic 2.4 - sold

Last edited by Simon Jones; Dec 22nd, 2017 at 18:41.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simon Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 08:11   #25
apersson850
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
But the car will depreciate no matter which one I buy. So I keep it out of equation.
Yes, it will, but at completely different rates, depending on which one you buy. If you take that out of the equation you can just as well do the same with fuel consumption, since all cars you buy will consume some sort of fuel. Bur from the rest of you post, it seems you do factor depreciation into the equation anyway, so I think we think in the same way here, anyway.
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 09:11   #26
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Yes, it will, but at completely different rates, depending on which one you buy. If you take that out of the equation you can just as well do the same with fuel consumption, since all cars you buy will consume some sort of fuel. Bur from the rest of you post, it seems you do factor depreciation into the equation anyway, so I think we think in the same way here, anyway.
After 10 years and another 100k miles it'll be worthless, whatever model.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyweaves For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 25th, 2017, 09:37   #27
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

My point, precisely

However.. Maybe not completely worthless.
Ie: I think I still could get some £50-100 for the one I'm driving now..
And then there's emotional value, too.. Can't replace that with money..

Last edited by ThomasG; Dec 25th, 2017 at 09:45.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 30th, 2017, 14:25   #28
apersson850
Premier Member

When you are down to values in that range, it's equivalent to worthless, in the meaning having no selling value. It can still have a lot of useful value to you.
Old Dec 31st, 2017, 22:18   #29
iandunblane

Hi , I am hoping to take over ownership of family members V70 2 5 t manual , the tax on this is 300 rather than 500 for the geartronic....are these manuals less common? Interesting thread , thanks esp the lpg advice . I'm looking for recommendations in central Scotland.
iandunblane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2018, 10:30   #30
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I'd be surprised if the tax was different because of the transmission system. It's more likely due to the registration dates of the vehicles. When tax bands are hiked, it is not retrospective, so identical cars can have different tax liabilities for the rest of their life on the road.

We have a truly mad and unjust vehicle tax system and I would recommend to the government that they consider the French system. In France there is no tax directly on vehicles at all! They just made a one time increase in the rate of tax on fuel to cover the loss of revenue from scrapping the vehicle tax and now a French owner who only uses their car once a year only pays tax on the fuel he uses for that journey. There is no need for the silly SORN system and the polluting effect of cars is viewed in terms of the quantity of fuel burnt rather than the peculiarities of particular engines! The French don't always get things right but in this case it is we who are the foolish ones and they have a simple mature and fair system. We don't!