Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Irratic gear changes

Views : 7139

Replies : 103

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2018, 12:42   #21
Gazdkw
Master Member

How did you trace it to that conclusion?
Gazdkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 12:55   #22
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

You mean throttle?
Thanks to this forum of course.
Gearbox software calculates right gear changes by few factors.
Engine load being one of major ones.
Then again, ecu calculates engine load using few sensors, MAF and throttle position for example.

If throttle sensor says its open say.. 15%, but MAF (mass airflow) shows airflow not corresponding to that.. ECU goes stupid. Gives wrong values of engine load, gearbox in turn makes bad changes.

All because dirt on throttle restricts air flow..

But as I said: mine is petrol. Its VERY throttle dependent. Diesel may not be.

Edit:

Of course it wasn't as easy as is written here.
Whole experience cost me a second hand throttle, (I still have it somewhere), air pressure sensor and good week of browsing the forum.

You have it given "ready to consume" here

Last edited by ThomasG; Mar 5th, 2018 at 13:00.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasG For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 13:31   #23
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post

Small suggestion:
If the car's right side (NS, passenger's side UK) is a tad higher than the other you'll get more fluid out.
This is dismissible as a niggling point but the idea is to get fluid out so why not?
Yay!
Your right or mine?
If my understandings right, its about tilting the gearbox towards the side that has sump plug.
Indeed its the passenger side that will need to be higher. But I believe its the left side of car?
Unless one is standing in front, facing the bonnet, they yes, it will be on right

I think I'll try it next time.

I stand corrected re copper/aluminum washer/gasket.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 13:58   #24
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Yes, I'm bored...

On each change..

How bad it can be..

How to drain..

And how NOT TO fill.. Its on the rear of gearbox anyway..

Old Mar 5th, 2018, 14:06   #25
Gazdkw
Master Member

ATF purchased from ebay. 20ltr should do me a good few changes to help this problem.

One problem though, I don't seem to have the check level dipstick where you mentioned. Looks like I have the facelift?

If this is the case and I'm not actually blind, how do I check the level? Is the drain and refill process the same also?
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 14:16   #26
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Drain should be same.
Refill.. I'm searching for it right now.

I'll come back as soon as I've found something
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 14:19   #27
Gazdkw
Master Member

Really appreciate your help thomasG
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 14:54   #28
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Right.. I nearly panicked and almost asked you to withdraw oil order..
But it looks like it still uses same 3309.

Now, don't take me wrong here, please. I just need to be sure:

In photo post above, photo with spanner on it, please memorize shape of gearbox, and have a look does yours look same. I hope that you don't have bottom cover.

Also, can you double check for that dipstick?
It will be behind big black water hose, very very low in that space behind radiator.

Photo of gearbox out of car:
https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...act=mrc&uact=8

OK, maybe not exactly same box, but it is to give you an idea where to look. It should be IN FRONT of that black rectangular cover.

And I'm trying to upload photo I just took on my car..

Last edited by ThomasG; Mar 5th, 2018 at 14:57.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 15:13   #29
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Damn.
Cancel that order.

Of the gearbox is indeed AWTF-80 SC, then it uses different oil.

Below, copied from swedespeed forum, so you really really want to look for that dipstick, get your hands dirty, dig for it..
Quote:
The 6 speed Auto trans was introduced in 2006 on the S60R and V70R and it does not have a dipstick and generally speaking it is not user serviceable. The fluid level checking and top off procedure is quite involved and requires that the car be connected to Volvo diagnostic equipment to accurately monitor the transmission fluid temperature during fluid level and and top of procedures. Here is the fluid level check and Top off Procedure from Volvo. The stumbling block for the Do-It Yourselfer is the requirement to monitor the trans fluid temp during the process. ( see text in red below) Oil level, checking and change. Warning! Avoid skin contact with the gearbox fluid. Note! Use only gearbox oil, Volvo P/N 116 1540-8 (1 litre container), 116 1640-6 (4 litre container). Conditions The difference between the MAX and MIN volumes is 0.2 litres. Check the oil temperature in the gearbox. At room temperature (+20 °C) the oil level is close to the MIN mark on the "cold area". At room temperature (+20 °C) and low oil level the oil barely reaches the dipstick. The "cold range" (+40 °C) is reached after approximately 15 minutes idling in the workshop, while the "hot range" (+80 °C) is reached after approximately 30 minutes highway driving at an air temperature above +15 °C. Note! Carry out the check at an oil temperature of +80 °C. Go to car communication function group 4. Select the digital display parameter. Select the parameter for the gearbox oil temperature. Preparing to check the oil level Park the car on a level surface. Apply the handbrake. Apply the foot brake. Let the engine idle. Move the gear selector lever to position P. Move the gear selector through all positions. Wait in each position for approximately 3 seconds Move gear selector to position P and wait approximately 2 minutes before checking the oil level. The dipstick must be pushed down as far as possible into the dipstick tube. Caution! Wipe the dipstick with a nylon cloth or similar. Do not use a cloth which may leave fluff or threads. Low level (topping up) Top up with oil through the dipstick pipe Take account of the temperature when topping up with oil. See Preparing to check the oil level . High level (overfilling) Warning! The oil may be very hot if the car has just been driven. Avoid skin contact with the gearbox fluid. Warning! The gearbox must not be operated if the oil level is too high. This can cause increased operating temperatures and oil leakage. Drain off oil Undo the drain plug. Allow some of the oil to drain out and reinstall the plug. Tighten to 40 Nm. Check the level taking account of the temperature. See Conditions , Preparing to check the oil level and Move the gear selector through all positions. Wait in each position for approximately 3 seconds . The oil can also be sucked out through the dipstick pipe using an oil suction syringe with a narrow gauge hose. Note! Strict cleanliness is important. The fluid fill port is shown in the photo below, , it is a T55 Torx. [/URL] It's accessed by removing the large plastic blanking cover that is located in the area shown near the drivers fender and headlight assy.
Old Mar 5th, 2018, 15:20   #30
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

I've jus read it all again..
If it was me and my car, I think I'd give it a go myself.
But its hellishly risky to overfill.

I'll be off now, will check the thread later.

BTW:

Source:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr.../topics/157845

Last edited by ThomasG; Mar 5th, 2018 at 15:23.