Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New question for Ron

Views : 1655

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2018, 17:36   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default New question for Ron

Ron. I obtained this doc' on charging systems. Can you explain the difference between "current reg" and "voltage reg" on the voltage regulator in reference to the three relays.

(couldn't attach the doc')
Attached Files
File Type: doc 6vGenerator (1).doc (24.0 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by arcturus; Sep 30th, 2018 at 18:34.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 12:38   #2
arcturus
arcturus

To elaborate, Terminal B+ is cut out relay. Terminal DF Current regulator
Terminal D+ voltage regulator.
Can you explain please the function of each relay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181001_01_02.jpg (172.5 KB, 6 views)
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 14:41   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Arcturus;

I have careful reviewed the article...it is generally good and consists of much good and valid info...the only minor issue I have with it is where it states in the second paragraph: "When the armature spins in the magnetic field, the windings in the armature have a voltage induced in them"...more correctly, it should state: "have a current induced in them"...this is a point of physics, but since voltage and current are related, the author mixed the terms...again, otherwise it is a good article, and good reading for anyone wanting to understand their Chg Sys better.

To answer your question...Voltage Regulation is when the VReg monitors system voltage and when low, enables Charging System to generate and contribute power...which pulls up system voltage as it recharges Bat and powers loads. Current Regulation is rather a safety function of the VReg...it monitors the Gen output current and if too high (so that it might damage Ch Sys) it has the ability to decrease the (Field) energization current, which in turn, backs down the Gen output and lowers the stresses put on it...it may therefore take longer to recharge a highly discharged Bat, but that is always preferable to overloading the Gen and risking damaging it...

Hope that helps... Cheers

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Oct 1st, 2018 at 14:43.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 00:35   #4
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
it states in the second paragraph: "When the armature spins in the magnetic field, the windings in the armature have a voltage induced in them"...more correctly, it should state: "have a current induced in them".
Sorry Ron - but voltage is correct. V = N d(phi)/dt, as Faraday might have said if he'd had to do it on a keyboard

(Consider the case when there is no load connected - no current flows, but you get the voltage anyway.)

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 15:04   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Pigeon;

I tried to answer arcturus' question and explain things in an understandable manner...you and I can have a theoretical discussion beyond that, but it will surely be lost on non-engineers...as I noted...V and I are (very!) related, and in your special example of an open circuit, clearly there can be no current flowing as there is no complete path (i.e. "circuit"), so the voltage will certainly build and one could say "voltage is induced".

As engineers, I think we understand each other...I was always taught, and come back to the term "current is induced...", as it is presented in theoretical discussions, such as here: https://www.khanacademy.org/science/...ng-electricity

Cheers
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 17:19   #6
arcturus
arcturus

Whilst we are on the subject of electrics, I am having some problems with my lights. i think that the dip switch may be faulty. When I connect my volt meter to the power terminal I get 6+ volts from the other terminal that supply's power to the lamp,main for example. The other terminal out to dip shows .06v. Is that enough leakage between terminals to cause a problem or is it negligible? This is on both main and dip positions. Should I replace the switch?

Last edited by arcturus; Oct 3rd, 2018 at 17:29.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2018, 20:43   #7
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

arcturus;

That "leakage voltage" is a mere 1% of the system voltage and nothing to be concerned about!...if the voltage was to increase to something more substantial, the Dipper Switch is not what I'd suspect first, but the chassis connections at the headlights! This would be an example of voltage drops due to a poor chassis connection causing an inadvertent circuit interaction...I'll see if I can sketch up an explanation...

Cheers
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 10:18   #8
arcturus
arcturus

Thanks. i know that you provided me with a fuse size calculator some time ago but can't find it. Can you please send repeat. Thanks.
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 11:02   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
Sorry Ron - but voltage is correct. V = N d(phi)/dt, as Faraday might have said if he'd had to do it on a keyboard

(Consider the case when there is no load connected - no current flows, but you get the voltage anyway.)
Indeed you can't get current ( flow ) started without voltage ( pressure)
but you can get voltage without current .
Old Oct 4th, 2018, 12:56   #10
Derek UK
VOC Member

I had a battery failure where it still showed 12.6 volts but could only supply about 8 amps. The nice AA man sold me a new battery.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote