Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 lock actuator replacement.

Views : 3086

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2021, 20:51   #1
A440

Default V60 lock actuator replacement.

A common fault apparently, the driver's door either locks as requested or simply stays unlocked. Yesterday, I couldn't open the door at all and had to access via the passenger door and crawl across the centre console so I could drive home! I'm scared to lock it now so it's sat outside unlocked and vulnerable.

Presumably I need a new actuator which I'll purchase from local Volvo dealer ASAP.

I simply can't afford Volvo labour costs so would be grateful if anyone here with experience of this job could do it in exchange for beer tokens?

I live in Birmingham but would be prepared to travel within reason.

Thanks in advance.
A440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 00:49   #2
Deck1ng
Master Member

I have this evening watched a couple of good explicate UTube films covering the removal and replacement of door actuators. I just entered, “ volvo door actuator replacement”. There where a few to choose from, good luck.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 08:08   #3
A440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
I have this evening watched a couple of good explicate UTube films covering the removal and replacement of door actuators. I just entered, “ volvo door actuator replacement”. There where a few to choose from, good luck.
I too have seen some of the aforementioned videos hence my request for help from someone who's done it before!
A440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 09:22   #4
spaceman2844

For anyone out there with the same issue, I just did this on my XC60 yesterday after buying replacement motors on the usual auction website for £16 from China. I'm not doing a full walkthrough as it's covered in the videos below but thought it would be useful to pull this all together for anyone planning to DIY it.

Tools you will need are T20, T25 and T30 Torx, a small flat blade screwdriver, 7mm socket/spanner and ideally a set of plastic pry tools to remove the outer door panel.

3 stages to it:
1. Removal of outer door panel (2 screws and some clips)
2. Removal of window glass from regulator, and removal of outer door handle and inner door panel
3. Removal of lock unit and replacement of motors

I found a Youtube video for stages 1 and 2 for a S60:

https://youtu.be/vF-hEtXIT7k

and a video for stage 3 (this shows the lock from an XC70 but unit is the same).

https://youtu.be/vIZmJFqoDKk

Takes about 2 hours or so. Trickiest bits were removing outer door handle and the 2 clips holding the door handle cables to the lock unit (remove them by separating the retaining lugs at each side by twisting a small flat blade screwdriver, not explained in any of the videos!)

Otherwise not difficult if you are confident with DIY and follow instructions on the videos and have the tools ready. I wasn't sure which of the 2 motors was at fault (apparently larger one more likely) but when I had it all apart I just replaced both.

Last edited by spaceman2844; Apr 25th, 2021 at 09:25.
spaceman2844 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spaceman2844 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 18:58   #5
ridax

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
Trickiest bits were removing outer door handle and the 2 clips holding the door handle cables to the lock unit (remove them by separating the retaining lugs at each side by twisting a small flat blade screwdriver, not explained in any of the videos!)
Do you have keyless? The car in the video probably didn't and then no wire to disconnect.
ridax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 19:50   #6
tonyldee

Default v60 door lock actuator

Had same problem with my V70- see my post on "V70 door lock problem. 54 people viewed, no one replied!
I have stripped out the door panel three times so far, each time faster than the last. Problem I found was that the door lock actuating rod had become detached from its clip on the door lock. I replaced both rods and the grommets in the door handle- problem solved. But not for long- the rod has slipped out of its clip twice since and is now becoming a pain!. I can see no other way of ensuring it remains in place.
Was hoping for answers on forum but none forthcoming. Hope you have better luck.
tonyldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2021, 22:16   #7
Deck1ng
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyldee View Post
Had same problem with my V70- see my post on "V70 door lock problem. 54 people viewed, no one replied!
I have stripped out the door panel three times so far, each time faster than the last. Problem I found was that the door lock actuating rod had become detached from its clip on the door lock. I replaced both rods and the grommets in the door handle- problem solved. But not for long- the rod has slipped out of its clip twice since and is now becoming a pain!. I can see no other way of ensuring it remains in place.
Was hoping for answers on forum but none forthcoming. Hope you have better luck.
Unfortunate for yourself, so glad to see it’s not one of the common volvo faults. I take it there has to be movement at the end of the rod that keeps becoming loose or disconnecting? Would it be possible to ‘weld’ , for the want of a better word, to make that connection fixed?
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 10:18   #8
tonyldee

Access is the problem. The rods have a coarse thread on them and they just push fit into a metal clip. I have tried to tie wrap the rod in place but difficult to manoeuvre wrap, pliers and hands in such limited space.
tonyldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 11:44   #9
spaceman2844

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridax View Post
Do you have keyless? The car in the video probably didn't and then no wire to disconnect.
No, my car doesn't have keyless.
Old Apr 26th, 2021, 14:43   #10
ridax

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman2844 View Post
No, my car doesn't have keyless.
When you say "trickiest bits were removing outer door handle", maybe you didn't mean the outside door handle but the inside door handle?
ridax is offline   Reply With Quote