Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Internet connectivity issue

Views : 2533

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 11th, 2021, 16:17   #1
cassell
Member since 1988

Default Internet connectivity issue

I use a 3 network data only sim card in my V90 and the current 24 month, 24GB card was installed in June 2020, about 15 months ago, and the data usage in Sensus communications tab is just over 9GB so far, so plenty of time and data is left.

However today I have lost the 'globe' symbol from the top of the screen and have no connectivity to RTTI or any of the online apps, Spotify, Weather etc. I've tried unticking and reticking the connectivity box in Communications but no luck.

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue, it may be a 3 issue rather than a car modem issue, any ideas?

Paul
cassell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cassell For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 16:22   #2
Nippy
VOC Member

Funny that, mine has been playing up today as well.

SWMBO : 2016 V40 T3 R Design
Nippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nippy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 16:35   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassell View Post
I use a 3 network data only sim card in my V90 and the current 24 month, 24GB card was installed in June 2020, about 15 months ago, and the data usage in Sensus communications tab is just over 9GB so far, so plenty of time and data is left.

However today I have lost the 'globe' symbol from the top of the screen and have no connectivity to RTTI or any of the online apps, Spotify, Weather etc. I've tried unticking and reticking the connectivity box in Communications but no luck.

Just wondering if anyone else has this issue, it may be a 3 issue rather than a car modem issue, any ideas?

Paul
Which box are ticking, do not tick the WiFi, box tick car modem box.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 16:54   #4
Mg70s

Had the Vodafone package working perfectly for 3 days, but lost the globe this afternoon too and for Wi FI from the house or 4G via the mobile.
Tried all the usual tricks that worked to get it working after delivery trying to get it back, but still no internet connection for everything.
Mg70s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mg70s For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 17:01   #5
scw

No Internet in mine this afternoon either. '3' 24 GB / 2 years SIM.

Steve
scw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scw For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 17:05   #6
tatased

It must be a problem with the Volvo servers.

If I use the car mobile hotspot to my ipad the internet is fine which leads me to believe the above.

I'm using the "3" 24 sim
tatased is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tatased For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 17:38   #7
Mg70s

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatased View Post
It must be a problem with the Volvo servers.

If I use the car mobile hotspot to my ipad the internet is fine which leads me to believe the above.

I'm using the "3" 24 sim
Except mine is not getting data (globe) wether I connect to my house wi fi on the drive or via my iPhone 4g, where as it was for both even before I eventually got the vodaphone car modem set up to work on Friday.
Mg70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 17:42   #8
Molar32

Similar problem in my 2017 XC90 turned out to be the communications module ‘gone down’. Fortunately covered by Volvo extended warranty.
Molar32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 17:56   #9
Tony Harrison

I have the same problem.

3 are having some issues according to DownDetector.

I don't understand why this could have anything to do with Volvo; but then maybe I don't understand......

MY2020 Volvo S90 Inscription Plus D4, Osmium Grey, Winter Pack and other bits and pieces
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 19:19   #10
losimagic

Wasn't expecting this to be my first post on the forum - was going to introduce myself, and my new (to me) V60, after I washed it, but circumstances changed

Having just set up my Vodafone sim on Saturday (after a lot of back and forth with the dealer, who forgot to include it in the car, along with the SIM holder!), I thought I'd broken something this afternoon when nothing worked.

After a lot of testing, I discovered that connecting my phone to the cars hotspot worked, and my phone could access the internet - strange!

I called the "Internet In The Car" helpline at Vodafone, they also thought it was odd, and walked me through the setup again, confirming that everything was OK.
I asked if there were any issues with the service and they said no, and suggested I called Volvo.

After that call I noticed that the data usage of the SIM card had also increased, so the internet was definitely doing something!

I mentioned the issue to my dad, who's far from tech savvy and he said "Oh that's strange, I couldn't get Spotify this morning, it just sat spinning around", so I hopped into his XC40 and had exactly the same results.

My guess is that Volvo have done something DNS related on their servers, that's stopping the car "handshaking" with the appropriate systems.
Anything connecting via the hotspot, such as phones/tablets, wouldn't be connecting to the Volvo server, so wouldn't encounter this error.

Hopefully they sort it soon!
losimagic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to losimagic For This Useful Post: