Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 Clutch Slave Cylinder

Views : 11196

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:59   #1
JayT78

Default S40 Clutch Slave Cylinder

This is my first post, so first of all i would like to say Hi!

This is about my girlfriends Volvo S40 2.0se, its a '97 non turbo model.
Last week she was on her way home and it seemed like the clutch had gone it wouldn't change gear, it had been a bit noisy the previous few days.
She found out off the previous owner that the clutch had been changed just over a year ago, so it seemed a bit weird that it had gone so soon after. She was phoning around to get quotes and they seemed to think it wasn't the clutch but the Clutch Slave Cylinder. They were saying that it was in the gearbox so they would have to take that off to get at it. A much bigger job they said, at least £200 in labour alone, and the part was expensive to.

The thing is, according to the Haynes manual we have the non turbo models have the slave cylinder on top of the gearbox instead of inside. The only thing that it says to remove is the air cleaner which is above this part. The Turbo models it says you have to remove the gearbox. I took a picture of what the Haynes manual says is the slave cylinder this morning on my phone.

Is this the right part? and is it possible to change this without removing the gearbox?

She did phone a Volvo place and they said there was a way to check if it was the clutch or not. They said to put it in first gear, and start the car. If it moved then the clutch was ok. We did this and it did move, so does this mean the clutch is ok or not?

Thanks for any help in advance!
JayT78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 15:12   #2
4 forty
VOC Member

Default slave cylinder

firstly, have you checked the fluid level in the master cylinder? the clutch slave cylinder feed is not far below the full mark, therefore if its dropped too far, it will allow air in to the clutch hydraulic system.
secondly, as you have haynes,you will see how to bleed the clutch system, have you tried doing this.

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 15:49   #3
JayT78

Thanks for the response,

I haven't had a chance to check the car properly in daylight yet, its not even outside the house. It had to be towed back when it went, and there was no space outside the house. Would air in the slave cylinder stop the clutch from working then? and could it take a few weeks to make a difference?

I'm new to hydraulic clutches and Volvo's to be honest....

Something i didn't mention, just after the new year the car had new rear calipers, discs and pads. The girlfriend had let the car go bad, there was no pads left on the rear and the calipers had been worn really bad. There was no fluid in the reservoir when i did all this for her so air could have easily got into the clutch system. By the time the pistons were pushed back in front and rear calipers the fluid was back up to min level. This was done about a month ago, do you think this could have caused the clutch to stop working?

I am trying to work out if the garages are trying to pull a fast one, as it was my girlfriend ringing around for the prices. They were making out this was a massive job, and one said the slave cylinder alone would cost £320. We got a price of £58 from a motor factors this morning, so i think they are having a laugh.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 15:54   #4
4 forty
VOC Member

Default air

by your detailed responce, i would think it highly likely that you have air in the system, if your beakes are perfoming properly, just bleed the clutch slave cylinder, its an easy job.

paul
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 16:00   #5
JayT78

Many thanks! Will try that in the morning, as long as the weather is ok!
Fingers crossed that's what it is.

Why do you think the garages were making out that this part was inside the gearbox when clearly it isn't?
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 16:22   #6
Nickmac

Errrrr, because most of 'em haven't got a clucking flue what they're talking about, and when presented with what they see as an opportunity to load up a bill, and make a bit of easy money, they jump in with both feet!
I ask ya, £320 for a slave cylinder!
Always use a recommended garage (ask around your freinds etc) or get some advice from someone "in the know".
Nickmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2007, 00:29   #7
v40rick

let us know how you go JayT78, im having a few probs myself on a v40 (phase1)

the slave is leaking and the fluid is a little low to, i was wondering if this would cause the clutch bite at the top???, the clutch its self holds fine it will clime steep hills all day long in 3rd (putting the clutch under pressure) so im hoping thats the problem..

plus my breaks arent the best either so u guys think i may have the same truble??

tnx for info and keep us informed JayT78
v40rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 12:10   #8
JayT78

Hi, would have been back earlier but i have been ill for a few days.

On Saturday i had a go at bleeding the Slave Cylinder, the first thing i noticed was the fluid was a very cloudy black colour. There didn't seem to be any air bubbles at first, but after a few mins a few big air bubbles came through and then loads of little ones. Started it up, pushed in the clutch pedal and it went into gear first time. Then went to pull off and there was a bit of a screech and i couldnt get it back out of gear. When i push the clutch pedal now, all i get is a loud screech that gets louder the closer it gets to the floor.

Obviously i know the fluid, both Brake and Clutch needs flushing and changing. Would it be something as simple as that which could fix it, or do you have any ideas on anything else? There doesn't seem to be any fluid leaking out of the Slave cylinder, but would there be if it is faulty anyway?

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:39   #9
JayT78

Any ideas anyone?
Old Mar 7th, 2007, 15:16   #10
TonyM
VOC Member

Sounds to me like the slave cylinder is leaking.

Lift up the rubber boot that is clipped to the top of the slave cylinder and I'll bet theres a load of mucky brake fluid in there.

Although the slave cyllinder sits on top of the clutch housing, I think the release bearing is integral with it and you have to remove the gearbox to get it out.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone had a work-around for that

Last edited by TonyM; Mar 7th, 2007 at 15:20.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyM For This Useful Post: