Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wind noise

Views : 1386

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 15:50   #1
EJH

Default Wind noise

Greetings from Nice, France. I regularly use my '68 1800s on long fast trips on the French auto route system, often maintaining speeds of well over 80mph for long periods (no motorway congestion here)! The car seems to thrive on sustained high speed driving which is not bad for a vehicle 40 years old and of relatively small capacity.What is less impressive though is the wind noise above 70 mph. It gets very tiring especially on long journeys. The quarterlight seals are new and the door seals are OK. The noise seems to come from all around the windscreen. I have even tried removing the wipers to no avail. This could be simply a down side of driving a design that dates back to the fifties ... the drag co-efficient might not be as good as the body shape suggests, but if anyone has any ideas for reducing wind noise. I'd be grateful. If not, I suppose I'll have to find some ear plugs!
EJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 15:57   #2
ivor940
Master Member

Hi On my 940, I have notices wind noise from the black trim strips on the windcscreen. There were small gaps under the trim, especially at the corner pieces. If you temporally fit black insulating tape to the surround, it may prove that it was the cause of noise. Also on the 1800, are the rain gutters wide? On newer cars there are no gutters or narrower ones. Try taping them over as well to isolate the cause of the noise.

ivor940
ivor940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 16:49   #3
EJH

Thanks for the suggestion. There's a chrome beading in the screen rubber that isn't a perfect fit at the corners. I'll try taping it over as you suggest. The rain gutters are quite wide but if this is causing the noise I'm afraid I'm stuck with it!
EJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 16:59   #4
RealEstate
Master Member

Default Windscreen corner pieces

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivor940 View Post
Hi On my 940, I have notices wind noise from the black trim strips on the windcscreen. There were small gaps under the trim, especially at the corner pieces. If you temporally fit black insulating tape to the surround, it may prove that it was the cause of noise. Also on the 1800, are the rain gutters wide? On newer cars there are no gutters or narrower ones. Try taping them over as well to isolate the cause of the noise.

ivor940
Thanks for the tip.
Hi is it possible to get replacement corner pieces as my 940 is missing the driver's side?
All the best,
Ben
RealEstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 18:54   #5
mike gilbert
Master Member

you say the quarterlight seals are new but when you re-fitted the quarterlights did you fit dum dum around the bottom of the quarterlight and in the gap between the quarterlight and the triangular bracket that attaches between the quarterlight and door. This is often forgotten during a restoration and makes a big difference.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 19:05   #6
B20F
Master Member

If you look at an opened door you can see the triangular shaped chrome piece from the quarter window which is "folded" round de door. This was what was causing a lot of wind noise on my ES. I filled the gap with some body gaulk which reduced the wind noise by quit a bit. (edit: sorry Mike, i meant the same. Didn't notice your comment!)
Also look at the gap from the doors, if the door is't adjusted right this will also cause wind noise. You can adjust the door catch on the B pillar (allen screws) so the doors will fit tighter.
The hood can also cause wind noise if it's not flush with the body.
But wind noise will always be part of the 1800 driving experience at higher speeds.

Last edited by B20F; Mar 22nd, 2008 at 19:08.
B20F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 20:41   #7
DuncanS

One problem I have with my ES is that the quarter lights don't close tightly enough. There is quite alot of wind noise when driving at speed. If I push the front corner of the quarter light to close it a bit the wind noise is greatly reduced.

The seals are not new but seem OK. I suppose I should renew them to see if this permanently improves the situation, or is this just "feature" of the design?

Thanks
DuncanS
DuncanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 20:50   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

If you have door mirrors, next to the quarter lights, they are a major cause of wind noise. If they attach with self tapping screws from the outside you can quickly remove them to check.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2008, 22:02   #9
B20F
Master Member

@Duncan;
Tap the closing lip on the door carefully a little further away from the closing part on the quarter window. This way the window can be pulled tighter against the rubber when you turn the lock downwards. Not easy to discribe it in another language, but you get my drift I hope..I used the wooden handle from a hammer to tap it with as not to damage the chrome. Needs some force to relocate it, but be carefull not to overdo it. On mine the're are new seals, but it still needed this adjustment on one side to eliminate this source of wind noise.