Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auxiliary Belt Tensioner Pulley

Views : 24218

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2008, 22:28   #1
mecamero

Default Auxiliary Belt Tensioner Pulley

Does anyone have any experience of changing the auxiliary belt tensioner pulley? My tensioner seems to have seized today. There doesn't seem to be anything on this in the Haynes manual, other than how to change the auxiliary belt. Access seems to be at least part of the problem.

My car is a 1997 V40 2.0 Petrol CD.
mecamero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 18:35   #2
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

Access is THE problem. Easier on a lift.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 19:15   #3
Rufe
TRADER

Vadis is vague really, but i can show you what it lists, it doesnt really show much info about removing tensioner specifically, but in case it may help, here you go...

I notice your from Swansea, and I believe you bought these parts from myself today? If so i am the big fella in the parts department who you ordered these with and I checked out the fitting of the tensioner on Vadis for you, but i know there wasnt much i could say really, as you can see from the image above

Simon

<<< FOR ALL ENQUIRIES PHONE: 01792 790066 / 01792 784272 >>>
* YOU MUST QUOTE 'C3' WHEN CALLING FOR OUR BEST PRICES! (weekdays 9am to 5pm) *
Rufe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rufe For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 21:45   #4
mecamero

Hi
Thanks for your reply Rufe and for your help in the parts department today, yes it was me you served. I have had a look at the tensioner since getting it home and believe that it must be bolted in from the back, not the bolt which holds the pulley onto the front of the tensioner. In the back of the tensioner, there is a threaded hole which looks like you must have to secure it with a bolt from the back. I was wondering if you have to remove the alternator or something to get at the bolt.
Any pointers from anyone would be helpful.
Thanks,
Ian
Old Oct 17th, 2008, 21:57   #5
Rufe
TRADER

yes your right, looking at the partds catalogue again you can see this bolt (no 7) which appears to bolt into it from behind

hopefuly someone with experience of changing one of these will be here to help you soon enough

Simon

Old Oct 17th, 2008, 23:32   #6
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

If you have air-con I seem to remember being told this unit needs to be either moved or removed(not disconnected fully). I had mine done by a local garage which I had used for years until they charged me a huge amount of money(labour, I supplied the part) for changing it. he told me it had taken him almost a full day to do the job on his lifter, I reckon I could have done it in about 1 to 2 hours tops in the same conditions.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
The Following User Says Thank You to scottishvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 14:59   #7
Rufe
TRADER

your probably right, as the Volvo standard time for this is 0.6 hours (36 minutes) for doing the belt, tensioner mechanism and idler pulley. Obviously this is for a trained volvo technician in volvo workshop conditions, but still does not appear to be a huge job.

(actually the turbo petrol versions are more difficult and have another hour added on that time)

Old Oct 18th, 2008, 21:08   #8
mecamero

Thanks for the advice, I am going to attempt the job tomorrow. Thanks particularly to Simon (Rufe) for the exploded diagram, that was very useful.
I will post a note as to how I got on.
Ian
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 22:12   #9
chb
Master Member

Smile

I have the same car as you (well a 1998 V40 2.0CD non-turbo).
Last year it developed a squeel, like a slipping fanbelt.
It turned out to be the alternator, but I had most of the bits off and changed that linked to the aux drive belt to discover this.
I don't profess to remember the details of how I fitted what, but I remember that one of the pulleys was a real sod to fit (the first time!) and required a good bit of dexterity to get it in. I did not at any stage remove the air-con gubbins.

One thing I did buy that made the job MUCH easier was an extra long closed end ring spanner. This is about 14" long and made the job much more do-able.

The other thing I rember is that one of the bolts is right opposite a thick crossmember. Use an open endeded spanner to un-do it once it is cracked off. I have a set of posh halfords pro ratched spanners (non reversing). I backed the bolt out, but had to dismantle the spanner in situ to get it out due to lack of clearance.

I also found a 2.5 or 3mm alen key handy for locking the tensioner in the slack position.

I did all this with one side of car jacked up.
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2008, 22:34   #10
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

Sorry, just re-read the original post. The pulley can be swapped without all the other aggro, mine was the whole tensioner, this is where bolt number 7 would come in to play from the diagram. Thanks chb, made me check.
2014 V40 Cross Country