Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oscillating power at full throttle

Views : 2922

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2009, 21:04   #1
Bikeman

Default Oscillating power at full throttle

Hello all,

I've tried to search this forum for posts describing a problem similar to mine, but after reading the first 10-some pages of topics, I thought registering and starting a thread myself would be more efficient. So here I go ...

Since one week I own a second hand 2005 V50 2.0d, mileage about 85k miles (live in Belgium, so it's 138500 km). Very nice car for as far as I can tell now, but there is one main problem.

When driving in fourth gear or higher, running the engine at moderate rpm's (1800 rpm) and then going to full throttle, the motor seems to hesitate to give it's full power. The first two seconds torque builds up nicely, then it goes down for a second, then back to full torque for about two seconds, then goes down again and so on(but by that time I'm driving too fast so quit playing that game).

I've read a lot about EGR valves, about pressure sensors measuring the state of filters, about failing turbo's, but I've never found the exact symptoms I have mentioned explicitly, so I was hoping some of the experts here can pinpoint the cause of this behaviour.

Thanks in advance!
Bikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 22:00   #2
Guru
Premier Member

Hi Bikeman, welcome to the forums and congrats on your purchase a number of things can cause hesitations and power drops...

If you hadn't mentioned fourth gear i would have assumed that you have a faulty throttle body/accelerator pedal sensor, the accelerator is electronic and works like a potentiometer... but a faulty pedal modul would cause hesitations through out the gears and not just after accelerating from 4th.

Another thing that could be faulty is the TCV "Turbo Control Valve" encircled in yellow in the pic, you'll have to take it in for investigation, not quite sure whether it has diagnostics, but surely Volvo or an experienced car electrition would know how to test its functionality.

Many other things come to mind, i.e. a clogged air filter, faulty MAF sensor, disconnected InterCooler hose, or IC full of soot, hope it's not a failing fuel injector or fuel pump, have you had your fuel filter changed?...

Am afraid there are so many possible causes, so you'll have to investigate systematically, excluding as you go so start with the basics, if you have a clean AF then try disconnecting the MAF, then go for a drive, if it makes no difference then you have a winner, if not; inspect the front IC pipes by pulling off the black fog light plastic covers, use a bright flashlight to see through the tunnels...ect.

And at the end it just might be that EGR valve.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10ia22.jpg (81.0 KB, 69 views)
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 22:22   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

its classic symptoms of the turbo boost valve as above .. get the repair kit from the dealer it consists of a bracket pipes and valve for just £50 a bargain .. fit the pipes too as they could be partialy blocked .. the bracket cracks so fit that too . or the valve will fall off and jam the gear change linkage !
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 20:57   #4
Bikeman

Thanks for the replies!

Searching the internet for the turbo control valve and what it does exactly didn't really come up with many matches. Is it the waste gate of the turbo, or is it another turbo-related valve?

Anyway, I'll go to a dealer next week and have it checked out. I'm glad I have a little background now!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 21:16   #5
Guru
Premier Member

Should be OE number 30650769
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 22:04   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru View Post
Should be OE number 30650769
That could be £114 as the D5 one is and it is the same part ..
The repair kit with bracket contains bracket , pipes and Valve for £50 .
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 22:11   #7
2.4TSE
Master Member

Yup, absolutely perfect symptom of the Boost Control Solenoid failing. I live in the UK, but mine failed in the Czech Republic and I drove all the way home with GO-nothing-GO-nothing-GO... Drove me mad! If only I had known the cure to be so simple...

2008 C30 T5 SE Sport R-Design | Dynaudio | BLIS | Winter Pack | Towbar | Parking Control | Keyless | 18" Atreus
2.4TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 22:42   #8
Guru
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
That could be £114 as the D5 one is and it is the same part ..
The repair kit with bracket contains bracket , pipes and Valve for £50 .
50quid is quite a good price if it's the same valve, do all dealers sell these repair kits? coz I think Bikeman is from Belgium...
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 22:46   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

didnt realise he was from belgium , it may be just a UK thing ..
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 17:41   #10
Bikeman

I just went to the procedure to check for any set error flags in the car electronics, as described in this recent thread: link.

There are quite a few unexpected 'errors': BCM, SWM and ICM are 'CHECKING', EPS, CEM, DDM and PDM give 'DTC SET'. SRS and DIM are ready (despite the fact that DIM doesn't appear on Guru's list in the thread above). Hope these things aren't all too bad, because this makes me feel like I've bought an electronic wreck of a car ...

But surprisingly the ECM (Engine Control Module) apparently has no error flag set. It says 'ready' ... Could it be that the control valve is failing without the electronics knowing about it?

I've also checked the valve that is indicated in the photo above. It's easily reachable, so I hope that having it serviced by the dealer won't cost me too many additional euros ...

EDIT: Fuel consumption is very reasonable, by the way, averaging 50 MPG the two tanks I've driven it. Highways, mostly, at a decent 80 mph ...

Last edited by Bikeman; Aug 28th, 2009 at 18:31. Reason: Additional info

Tags
oscillating power, power loss, varying power