Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Clutch slave cylinder??

Views : 16210

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2010, 18:14   #1
gildersol

Default Clutch slave cylinder??

Volvo S60 TSE
55000 miles

Hi,

I have an issue which I would appreciate some opinions on.

About 4 weeks ago I made a 350 mile round trip in the car. There were no problems whatsoever, however just as I was around 10 miles from home the brake fluid light came on. When I got home I found the reservoir was empty. I got some brake fluid and topped it up.
I then remembered that there had been a couple of small wet patches round where I park the previous week which I thought were off another car.
I have since done some browsing to find that the same fluid operates the clutch and suspected a leak from the slave cylinder as I noticed that there was a wet bit at the hole on the bottom of the bellhousing.
Funnily enough I had felt as if the acceleration was maybe slightly not what it should be just before my trip.
Now I have noticed the odd slight judder when pulling away, but only once or twice.
The main thing is that since topping up the reservoir, the level has not gone down at all.

The guy at my local garage says it may have been due to the exceptionally cold weather we had affecting the rubber on the slave cylinder and it could have sealed again. The clutch could be wet from the leak and could dry out.

I did have a leak on the pipe at the bottom of the steering fluid reservoir during the freeze and it cured itself.

Any thoughts?

Also, should the fluid level get to empty in the reservoir before the light comes on.
gildersol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 11:11   #2
Dynosaur
GoldMember

If it HAS leaked, then the slave WILL leak again .... leaving you somewhere without a clutch (probably when you come out first thing in the morning).

In case you're unaware, it shares a common reservoir with the braking system. Had you gone on much further with the low level indicator light ablaze, you may not have been here to write this post - given that the reservoir was empty when you got home.

Don't delay, get the slave changed.
The leak at the bell-housing confirms that it's in need of replacement - a common failure that I've had myself.

If DIY, you'll need two trolley jacks, time, methodicality and perseverance.
Otherwise, you're looking at £400 to £800 at the garage.

And no, the level indicator should come on when the fluid's at the FILL mark. So you either have a very fast leak, aren't checking immediately the light comes on, or a faulty cap/sensor.
The guy at the garage should have left you in no doubt as to the gravity of your situation before you left his premises.

Last edited by Dynosaur; Apr 16th, 2010 at 11:17.
Dynosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dynosaur For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 11:33   #3
gildersol

Thanks for the reply. So is it possible for a leak in the clutch system to result in the brakes failing?
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 11:42   #4
Georgey dee
Premier Member

The slave cylinder is a common fault. I got mine done recently
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgey dee For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 11:45   #5
Dynosaur
GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildersol View Post
Thanks for the reply. So is it possible for a leak in the clutch system to result in the brakes failing?
Totally.
Rather unVolvo-like to place the brakes on the same system as something so (potentially and actually) prone to catastrophic fluid loss as a clutch slave - but hey.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 11:55   #6
roy chu1

I have this same problem, brake fluid weaping out of the hole under the car.

My car has covered 78k, and I have read clutches being changed at a low mileage of 38k, so I will cover my back as I have the CSC and the clutch kit, I will also get a flywheel. However the FW is sooooo very expensive.

I spoke to the service advisor and he said this is a common problem for them to fail so early.

My old 1998 V70 T5 did 186k before I sold it on and it was still functioning on its origional clutch slave cylinder.

Amazing how Volvo are supposed to last the worst weather, cutting corners is just ruining there own reputation.

But heym, I still love the brand

I hope you get it sorted
roy chu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roy chu1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 14:12   #7
Georgey dee
Premier Member

It does share the same filler but the fluid tank is seperated by an internal wall which will let you fill them both up but keep fluid in there for one system if the other fails.

A nice volvo-like bit of design.

I found this out to my cost when I was try to bleed the brakes and didn't notice the tank was empty on one side , the brakes side. It looked full until I took a closer look IE from the front.

George
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgey dee For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 15:52   #8
Dynosaur
GoldMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgey dee View Post
It does share the same filler but the fluid tank is seperated by an internal wall which will let you fill them both up but keep fluid in there for one system if the other fails.

A nice volvo-like bit of design.

I found this out to my cost when I was try to bleed the brakes and didn't notice the tank was empty on one side , the brakes side. It looked full until I took a closer look IE from the front.

George
Makes sense, and would be the reason I never noticed the divider .... only ever did the clutch.

Comes as some relief, as it seemed unnecessarily wild a thing for Volvo to do.

Cheers for the heads-up.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 16:57   #9
gildersol

That's a relief for the time being.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 01:17   #10
David Mck

This is weird, i had to top up my reservoir but put it down to worn breaks lowering the level. Replaced discs and pads at the front but the level never came up as much as i topped up. On friday on the way into work i couldnt get a gear first thing at the house (clutch not working) pressed it a few times and hey ho all good and no further problems on the way in and back. Phoned local dealer and they thought my master cylinder might be on the way out?? I have no visable leaks but have to say i am uncomfortable that i have had to top up the brake fluid reservoir and havent established the cause / leak. BTW no judder or slip i was thinkiing of having the clutch blead as i was thinking air lock??? Am i delaying a repair that could have me in trouble???? has anyone had a clutch, slave and DMF done at a main dealer or is that just crazy talk? reading the haynes manual it looks like you need a lot of special tools and the adjustment looks a little tricky. Mine is also a D5 AWD.
David Mck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to David Mck For This Useful Post: