Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Main Service, diagnostic, throttle sensor + heater faults

Views : 1208

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2015, 23:13   #1
ricbake

Default Main Service, diagnostic, throttle sensor + heater faults

I've got some issues with my 2010 S40 2L Diesel Saloon and took it into Volvo main dealer in Croydon for a full service and diagnostic. the faults are intermittent throttle sensor signal fault and passenger side AirCon only blows hot whatever the setting.

The throttle sensor fault puts the car into limp mode, problem first came on about 2 weeks ago, but has usually cleared on restarting, no noticeable pattern bringing it on. The dealer recommends fitting a new wiring loom at £414. But I've put that off for the moment, I am going to have a go at checking out the contacts and cable for damage or problems.
(Diagnostic codes ECM-0222 + ECM-2135 [not active] )

The heater/aircon puts up a series of fault codes relating to the damper motor - the dealer offered an additional to Main Service software upgrade at £105.60, which may clear the problem. But it may be faulty damper motors at further cost.
(Codes CCM-0071 [active] CCM-0077 CCM-DD14/15/16/32/33 [not active]

The VolvoCars.com website says that software upgrades are included with a main service. I had the main service at a cost of £280 plus a discounted diagnostic at £120. When asked the Service Manager said the Air Con system software up grade was an entirely separate upgrade hence the additional cost.

Anyone got any experience of similar problems or any ideas or should I just bite the bullet and get my wallet out?
ricbake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:26   #2
Loskie

I think that he is being very cheeky.
Look at the Volvo Service Promise on their website and speak to Volvo Customer services.
If you have an alternative dealer I would vote with my feet.
Loskie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loskie For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2015, 16:56   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricbake View Post
I've got some issues with my 2010 S40 2L Diesel Saloon and took it into Volvo main dealer in Croydon for a full service and diagnostic. the faults are intermittent throttle sensor signal fault and passenger side AirCon only blows hot whatever the setting.

The throttle sensor fault puts the car into limp mode, problem first came on about 2 weeks ago, but has usually cleared on restarting, no noticeable pattern bringing it on. The dealer recommends fitting a new wiring loom at £414. But I've put that off for the moment, I am going to have a go at checking out the contacts and cable for damage or problems.
(Diagnostic codes ECM-0222 + ECM-2135 [not active] )

This is not uncommon and Never turns out to be the throttle pedal . all it needs is the one pedal output signal wire terminals checking / cleaning at the pedal end and the CEM end .. failing that cut off at the pedal and cem leaving about 3 inches of wire and solder in a new wire , just to go across from the CEM to Throttle pedal . ...

The heater/aircon puts up a series of fault codes relating to the damper motor - the dealer offered an additional to Main Service software upgrade at £105.60, which may clear the problem. But it may be faulty damper motors at further cost.
(Codes CCM-0071 [active] CCM-0077 CCM-DD14/15/16/32/33 [not active]

There is only one CEM software upgrade and you get that on the service software if needed , if it already has the latest software it will not upgrade it . So paying extra for it will be a waste of money Did they do a calibration on the climate unit ? I would have thought so whilst connected up and for the sake of 5 minutes ..

The VolvoCars.com website says that software upgrades are included with a main service. I had the main service at a cost of £280 plus a discounted diagnostic at £120. When asked the Service Manager said the Air Con system software up grade was an entirely separate upgrade hence the additional cost.

Anyone got any experience of similar problems or any ideas or should I just bite the bullet and get my wallet out?
No need to get the wallet out yet !
Old May 2nd, 2015, 17:37   #4
tomweston

As to the heater, mine was only blowing cold on one side. I was advised on this forum to set each side temperature the same, then slowly lower the temperature to low and then raise to hi and then back to normal Say 20C. Apparently doing this re-calibrates the flap settings, it worked for me.
tomweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 22:41   #5
ricbake

Hi
Thanks for your input - I've not had the throttle fault since the service and driven about 300 miles this weekend. What I can see of the cable and connectors look absolutely fine. So I'm not going to do anything more unless the fault reoccurs. Have found this youtube thing about checking the output from the throttle pedal with a multi-meter which may be useful if it recurs.
Don't know if the dealer did a calibration of the aircon, I will inquire.
I have tried the basic re-setting of the heating system but it would appear that the hot air flow dampers on the passenger side do not move at all. It is feasible that it could be a software issue and I will raise the upgrade situation with Volvo Customer Service.
My inclination is to think it is a problem with the motors or connections to them, it doesn't make much sense that the software would give up sending signals to one side - but it makes even less sense that if that has happened the main dealer wouldn't apply the upgrade as part of a major service!
If Volvo Customer service aren't helpful I'll have to try to get to the damper motors and do some basic tests.
cheers
Richard
ricbake is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, diagnostic, heater, service, throttle