Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

cheap HID kit

Views : 8950

Replies : 69

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 13th, 2010, 13:13   #61
Yosser
Gizza job - I can do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanaia1 View Post
As a director of a Service and MOT centre I can tell you that VOSA have instructed all MOT garages to fail any cars with aftermarket HID kits.
Thats interesting.

Can you tell me when that instruction was issued and also what the bulletin reference was please?
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 13:24   #62
Flanaia1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
Thats interesting.

Can you tell me when that instruction was issued and also what the bulletin reference was please?
I can when I get back to work which will be Saturday morning as I'm travelling at the moment which is interesting with all this ice about.

We have just had a brand new ATL fitted and strangely enough this was one of the topics brought up by the guy from VOSA when he inspected, as he was going on about boy racers and converted Corsa / Saxo etc.

Will post or PM it you this weekend.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 23:20   #63
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Quote:
As a director of a Service and MOT centre I can tell you that VOSA have instructed all MOT garages to fail any cars with aftermarket HID kits. Only original factory fit are permissable. Therefore come MOT time you need to revert back to normal bulbs.

As regards the law if you are caught with them on the road you will definitely be prosecuted for the offence and in some counties your car may be seized.

It's the same as de catting a car its totally illegal IN the UK but a lot of people do it. Fit HID at your own risk but don't moan if you get caught.

As for getting caught in an accident then the Insurance definitely wont pay out we have repaired 2 cars recently and both insurance companies asked us to check the car for any modifications that were not standard, including checking for re maps before they would authorise the repair

Food for thought?
I had one of my old cars MOT'd by two different garages, and one picked up on a lot more things than the other did.

Needless to say, I'd be stunned if my S40 failed an MOT with my HID kit. That said, i'll plug the halogens in for the test.

How the standard S40 headlamps pass any kind of MOT is a joke.

Last edited by fenton_jd; Jan 13th, 2010 at 23:30.
fenton_jd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 16:44   #64
Metblackrat

Quote:
As regards the law if you are caught with them on the road you will definitely be prosecuted for the offence and in some counties your car may be seized.
Absolute rubbish. There is no power to seize a vehicle for this.
Metblackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 19:00   #65
Harvey1512
Premier Member

He is not talking about the UK here. Some European countries are quite feisty about seizing cars, the French for example, so it is quite feasible.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 19:13   #66
Berty.

If the Police in the UK and the Gardai in Ireland cannot enforce foreign registered vehicles movements and their failure to use beam convertors then I doubt they are going to give a rats about HID fitted into projector headlamps.

Fair enough a 55w 8000K HID in a non projector but without having a profesional check the car they cannot be sure as they are not qualified to give a written report to prove that they are illegal.

All they can do is summons you which is pretty unlikely to happen to projector using people.
Berty. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 19:53   #67
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

Judge for yourself, heres my car:

On the left Philips Xtreme Power 80%+
On the right Ebay HID kit - 6000k

Beam cut-off and light pattern are *IDENTICAL*

Why are these illegal?

Last edited by fenton_jd; Jan 14th, 2010 at 19:57.
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton_jd For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 09:16   #68
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Ask the law makers. I quite agree with you that it is a nonsense. I doubt anyone on here disagrees with you about them being okay but it still comes back to the validity being questioned by the insurance people if you are unlucky enough to be in a prang. 9 out of 10 garages may not pick up on it but if the other 1 does....... Equally how more likely are you to have a prang when you can't see the road because the standard lights are so damned useless? Maybe you should have a discount over normal Volvo drivers because your lights are safer than ours? Could that be a line of defence?
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 18:59   #69
fenton_jd
turkeyspace.com

I've made the choice to have HID's so I can actually SEE where I'm going. On country roads, the setup Volvo had given us is just asking for a fatal crash. Remember the people on this forum are the SMALL PERCENTAGE that attempt to do something about it. Imagine how many owners just 'live with it'.

The fact that I need HID in order to match the Halogen bulbs on my old fiat says everything....

Last edited by fenton_jd; Jan 15th, 2010 at 19:04.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 20:55   #70
Guru
Premier Member

This thread is getting very spicy, especially with the accidents mentioned.

I almost knocked down a pedestrian myself once, but lucky for me she was wearing reflective training shoes so i managed to dodge her at the last moment... you may have noticed; the headlamps only illuminate the ankles of pedestrians, and never higher than their waist

fenton_jd> don't forget It's Projectors vs. Reflectors!

HIDs in projectors will not blind opposing traffic, and therefore should not be illegal IMO. On the other hand, when HIDs are mounted in reflector assemblies, they become an absolute nuisance to other drivers, and they should be illegal.

The only damage the HIDs can cause is to your own headlight units, word has it that they can damage/fade out the inner chrome linings. And besides that, some people report burnt-out windscreen wiper motors after installing HIDs in these cars because the right? headlamp is earthed along with the wiper motor.
to avoid this happening, it's advised to earth the HIDs directly to the chassis of the car and not to connect it to the already existing earthing wire from the previous halogens. The burn out does not occur immediately but takes time, i.e. the longer you use you wipers.

Do you have a warning canceler with those? btw, love the color of your car

Last edited by Guru; Jan 15th, 2010 at 20:58.
Guru is offline   Reply With Quote