Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High pressure headlamp pump removal: Help please

Views : 5308

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2010, 15:55   #1
TiredGeek
Master Member

Default High pressure headlamp pump removal: Help please

OK, recently noticed the high pressure headlight wash isn't working. I've checked the fuse, I've checked the relay, I've even shorted the relay contacts out to put 12v down to the pump, nothing happens, no sound from the pump.

The car is an '07 XC70 (last of the nice ones), I can get to the resevoir simply enough, there's an easily removed cover in the bottom of the bumper, but before I start yanking and prising to get the pump out I want to be sure I'm not going to break something.

What's the best method for getting the pump out of the resevoir, and refitting the new one?

Does anyone know if there is a Ford part cheaper that fits, and if so, the part number?

Any other advice most welcome

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 17:38   #2
TiredGeek
Master Member

Nobody then?
Looks like I'll be writing a "how to"

Old Sep 11th, 2010, 21:13   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

Any help?

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...ht=washer+pump
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 08:57   #4
TiredGeek
Master Member

I saw that, thanks anyway.
It isn't the same pump, my res has two, one on the side for the windscreen and one underneath which is bigger to supply the headlight washers. This pump is a high pressure jobby and it just doesn't want to come out of the res. I think it holds in the same way as the other one but it's hard to see so I thought I'd ask. Looks like I'm the first person to have problems with this so it looks like I'll be the one discovering the answer
Shame my VADIS only covers up to 2005 and these washers came in after that.....

Old Sep 24th, 2010, 18:19   #5
TiredGeek
Master Member

OK, new pump fitted and working

The old pump does just pull out, but, it's a bugger.
The outlet side is inside the bumper and has clips on the pipe fitting so it doesn't just pull off and you can't get your hand in to release it.
There is a big clip around the pump and the inlet to the pump sticks out the end into the res.
The power plug clips on the back of the pump and you can't get your fingers in to release it.
You can't just pull the pump straight back as the outlet hits the side of the res, you can't rotate the pump to clear the res because the outlet pipe won't let you.
The big clip is extemely strong and because of the inlet pipe sticking out the end into the res you can't just lever the pump down out of the clip.

So, close your eyes, get hold of the end of the pump with the power plug and yank it down HARD. It pulls out of the clip and then you can pull it back and down to get it out of the res.
Don't look at what you're doing, it'll only frighten you (and you'll get windscreen wash in your eyes. Ask me how I know).
Unclip the outlet pipe, unplug the power lead. Throw old pump away.

Fitting is nearly as bad because now you've pulled on the outlet pipe to give a bit of slack, when it goes back in it tries to kink. And it's hard to get the pump inlet through the res grommet as you're trying to feed it in on a severe angle (a bit of washing up liquid helps). You can clip the power lead on afterwards tho...

Typical Volvo design. With the bumper off this would have been so much easier as then the outlet pipe would have been easily accessed and would have to be taken off when removing the bumper. Then again, a slightly bigger access panel in the underside of the bumper would let you get your hand in to the clips. Just an inch bigger would make all the difference, and yes I was tempted to cut it !

For anyone interested the Volvo part number for the high pressure headlight wash pump is: 30699674. Made by Valeo marked 89032971 on the body. £47 uk.

Old Sep 24th, 2010, 19:00   #6
T666

Hi had mine replaced at local garage which is a Ford main dealer and they said the pump was a ford pump and a lot cheaper than sourced at Volvo, dont know part number though if you take the old pump a dealer or a good spares shop will be able to match it.
T666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 19:12   #7
TiredGeek
Master Member

Yeh, I planned on dropping into a Ford dealer with it and getting the part number for possible future use
If I do manage to find it I'll post it in here....