Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How to Check and Replace Anti-Roll Bar Drop Links

Views : 28148

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2010, 21:54   #1
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Default How to Check and Replace Anti-Roll Bar Drop Links

Got an irritating rattle coming from the front suspension? Recommend you check your anti-roll bar drop links.

Level of difficulty: Honestly, if you can change a wheel, you can do this!

Tools Required:
  • Jack
  • Axle Stands
  • Wheel Brace and 19mm socket
  • 18mm Ring Spanner
  • 15mm Ring Spanner
  • Torx Set (and Allen keys if you use the same parts as me)
  • Torque Wrench and 18mm and 15mm socket

Parts Required: 2 x Drop Links, Volvo part no: 31201602

Available from Partsforvolvos @ £15.37. I used Meyle ones as I have had really good experience of using them on a BMW - excellenct longevity and superb quality. Sourced mine from Partservice, Exeter @ £13ea + VAt + delivery.

1. Loosen all wheel bolts on both front wheels
2. Jack up the front of the car, onto axle stands and remove both wheels. You need to get both wheels off the ground otherwise the anti-roll bar is under tension and it makes it difficult to get the links out later. Here's the old link:

3. Using an 18mm ring spanner and a torx bit to counterhold the balljoint, undo the top link:

4. Now you can check the condition of the joints by wiggling them. If there's any play or sloppiness, replace!

5. Using a 15mm ring spanner and a torx bit, undo the bottom link and take out the whole part

Here's the old vs. the new. I think you can see the quality of the Meyle joints compared to whatever make the old one is:

6. Put in the new part and once you've tightened the nuts as much as you can with the ring spanner so that the whole joint doesn't rotate, secure to 37lbf ft

Slightly different to the part I took out, the Meyle part has allen bolts instead of torx

7. Do the same on the other side

I gave all threads a good coating of copper grease to make the next time I do it easy

8. Wheels back on, car lowered, all bolts tightened to 103 lbf ft and road test.

Silence!

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Apr 28th, 2012 at 18:32. Reason: Corrected image code
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 22:19   #2
rublehousen

nice helpful 'how to'. having done loads of these i would also recommend a wire brush and some WD40 as they can get a bit awkward when the nuts go mad tight on the last few rusty threads
rublehousen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2010, 22:52   #3
johnnyv70
Master Member

good write up, did mine on sunday but the whole stud started to turn, so got a pair of grips and clamped them behind the fixing bracket, you can use a spanner but found this easyer,(each to his own )..mine were shot and its like driving a differant car....BUT could,nt take the wheel off due to lost wheellock key, having them all removed this week, so the job was a pain in the arse to do........but nice write up with good pics

john
johnnyv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 00:23   #4
Chesterman

Thumbs up

Excellent "How to" - thanks. A growing database of practical knowledge.
Chesterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 08:24   #5
Nick44
Ex 850/V70 Register Keepe

Hi Sweedish,
Another good write up, thanks.
I noticed in your first picture that the rear wishbone bush, the one just below where the ABS sensor lead is, that the rubber is coming slightly away from the outer metal of the bushing.
My S80 is like that and I was about to spend a few quid on a new wishbone.
Are they all like that, and did it pass it's MOT like that?
Thanks,
Nick.

Last edited by Nick44; Aug 11th, 2010 at 08:26.
Nick44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 09:36   #6
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

@ Nick44 - Hi! I recently had the wishbones out and replaced the front bushes with Powerflex ones. I looked over the rear bushes and thought to myself that they were ok. See what you mean though; that line looks like it's breaking up in the photo's doesn't it? I tell you - it drives much better since replacing the front bushes and I'd highly recommend doing so!

Ref the MOT. Although it was a nice feeling when the car passed the MOT, there are 2 major things that I've found since. The wishbone bushes were absolutely shot and 1 out of the 2 drop-links was as loose as anything. The other was past it too.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 19:23   #7
S60-D
S60 D5 SE Auto

Very handy How to, many thanks.

Please create a sub-forum with all these "How to" so it will be easy to find them.
S60-D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to S60-D For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 09:13   #8
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

I contacted the forum people (for want of a better expression) who shifted my write-ups to the "Articles" section of this forum.

I agree, a new sub-section specially for "How to" stuff would be great, as there are a number really useful ones on here including how to poly-bush front wishbones and how to replace discs and pads etc
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 14:58   #9
Diesel Convert

Great write up but I wouldn't recomend applying copper grease as you can over torque the nuts. Had a mate who sheared a wheel bolt by doing that.
Diesel Convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18th, 2010, 16:18   #10
OMG

Excellent article, well done. Have but one question; where did you place the axle stands?
OMG is offline   Reply With Quote