Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power Steering making a groaning noise :(

Views : 13201

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 5th, 2010, 10:53   #1
kiwifraser

Default Power Steering making a groaning noise :(

The steering works well (light and smooth to turn), but it has made a groaning noise when turning the wheel for a good few months now. The fluid looks clean, and I believe it was replaced at the last service 6k ago. Any clues as where to look first please - Pump, Rack, Reservoir, Lines.

There is also a steering vibration felt through the wheel sometimes when turning on rough roads, which only seems to happen when the car is cold. Not sure if the issue is linked to the steering noise or suspension/ shock related.

2000, S80, 2.4 non turbo.
kiwifraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 11:19   #2
kiwifraser

Further searching specifically on reservoirs forund this

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisont View Post
you dont need to buy anything just take of the reservoir, when you take the hose of the the top of the reservoir you will see a brass pipe sticking out by about 20mm, this should not stick out like this, put the black plastic pipe back on inside the reservoir on the brass pipe and once you have done this knock the brass pipe back into the reservoir (the piece that is sticking out by 20mm) and thus it will never come of again. This will solve your problem if you need to know why the brass pipe becomes exposed i will let you know but basically it is to do with pressures. hope this is clear if not let me know but it will not cost you a penny.

Andy

Off to have a look now!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiwifraser For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 14:24   #3
kiwifraser

Well that seems successful so far! I used a turkey baster to drain the tank. Hooked the piece if plastic out of the bottom, and pushed the brass tube back into place. 5 minute job

It definitely seems a lot quieter, but the final verdict will be after a long hot run.

How full should the tank be?
The Following User Says Thank You to kiwifraser For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 15:19   #4
trojan
VOC Member

My 99 V70 is noisy when warmed up too, and I have hust looked and can see a nice shiny brass pipe. I will try this repair tomorrow on my day off. Many thanks again to the whole forum who constantly seem to take worries off my mind and help me keep my hard earned cash in my pocket :-)

VOC 22810
trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5th, 2010, 15:28   #5
hobbyhorse
Premier Member

These resevoirs are to be frank, pants quality. If there is any evidence of weeping around the central joint or from the cap (common probs) replace the fornicator with one of the later improved ones ~ they're cheap
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 20:57   #6
kiwifraser

What an unbelievable difference. Drove 200 miles today, in complete 'steering silence'!. The vibration is totally gone, and the steering super smooth and effortless.
All for 5 minutes work too. Thanks again to all the forum for the great advice
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 22:26   #7
Dynosaur
GoldMember

The cap is very susceptible to pressure leaks from debris on the sealing rubber.
Make sure both it and the top of the filler are scrupulously clean.
The dipstick has cold and hot level marks.
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 08:48   #8
trojan
VOC Member

As kiwifraser, what a difference. I thought I was in for a mojor repair billwith the groaning steering. I emptied the reservoir and found the plastic tube. Bit tricky to get it back on but 15 mins later it was done. I did notice that previously my fluid was too full so I have now returned it to the correct level.

VOC 22810
trojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2010, 13:16   #9
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Default Lucky people

Hello, My 1999 groaned horribly due to the PO (previous owner) having installed the wrong fluid. A flush out with the correct fluid-Pentosin CHF 11S- bought me >60K miles of silent driving. The pump finally developed a groan which grew to a rumbling nightmare over a month's time. A $40 pump from an indie's yard got me back on the road. I must have a look at this brass thing in the reservoir just to see it. It's hard to tell from the posts if the brass thing is high in the reservoir-at the point of fluid return- or if it is to be found loose, at the bottom of the reservoir. Hey trojan; where exactly did you find your "nice shiny brass pipe"? I wonder if the same design (problem) made it to the 2002 model year? Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2011, 12:45   #10
likeaslice

Hi all, some advice please. Just went round a corner at a brisk speed in my S60 2.4T nothing major and the steering groaned a little. Continued up the road and still groaning with every slight turn. Pulled up at the petrol station and the steering groaned whilst stationary.

Went inside the petrol station for 5 mins came back out, started her up and nothing!!! It sounded really bad when I stopped the car but now nothing. Could this be the same problem as highlighted here?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.
likeaslice is offline   Reply With Quote