Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Light problems/Xenon/now wipers >> HELP!!

Views : 5540

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 19:05   #1
crs40

Default Light problems/Xenon/now wipers >> HELP!!

Hello there,

I´m new to the forum and I need your help. My brother´s girlfriend has a 2006 S40 and haves a BIG problem. As noted by other owners, the low beams are very weak and almost useless at night.

We got a H7 Xenon kit for the low beams hoping to get better lighting but it never worked and the problems started.

When the lights are turned on they only stay on for 20 seconds and then shut off. We later found out the the alternator wasn´t working correctly and would not generate a constant voltage. We installed the normal lights and took it to get the alternator repaired.

With the alternator repaired and working perfectly, we installed the xenon kit again. The same thing happened: Lights would stay on for only 20secs and then shut off. If we try one more time they flicker and then shut off.

Now the worst part: All of a sudden, while trying on to see what was going on, the windshield wipers started working in the fastest setting!! We ran to the inside of the car to shut them off but they were in the off position. We disconnected the battery and then reconnected it. Now, the wipers don´t even work. We checked the fuses but they are all ok.

Obviously we decided to ditch the idea of the xenon kit. But now we have the problem of the wipers not working.

What can be done?
What should we check?
Is this car so intolerable to the Xenon light kit?

Please help!

Albert
crs40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 19:21   #2
gdphillips
ba baracus...

check the wiring in the car....it may be split and arking out or cut.....bulk head end trace your steps when you fitted it ..you may have trapped a wire.....ie head light wipers light wires.if it was ok befor then check any joins etc.......

Last edited by gdphillips; Dec 22nd, 2010 at 19:27.
gdphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 19:22   #3
gdphillips
ba baracus...

oh hello and welcome .........hope i can help
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 20:16   #4
Jaff87
it goes like ooft!

the HID kit needs binned and the wiper motor needs replaced, they apprently earth through the same place and when the hid ballasts go wonky they short out a chip on the wiper motor.

If you still want HIDs get some good quality digital hid ballasts with bulb out warning cancellors built in.

apparently the lighting power system in these cars pulses in normal operation, on a normal bulb it has no effect, but on a ballast which amplifies 12v to 25000v but at a low wattage (35w, a bulb draws 55w) it cause problems, the bulb out warnings are a combination of capacitors and resisters which make the ballast draw 55w but seem to smooth out the pulse and stabalise the ballasts.
Jaff87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2010, 20:19   #5
Guru
Premier Member

Hi crs40, this issue has been discussed many times on this forum.

Please see This thread here for details then come here to find out why it all happened

Good luck in finding the correct chip for the wiper motor.
Old Dec 24th, 2010, 11:55   #6
ging6996

Hi mate I'm having the same trouble with my HID's. The standard lights are near enough useless. But mine turned off after 10secs. I tried a relay harness the lights worked fine until I started the car then they turned off. So I tried the canbus cancellers. They stayed on bit the relay harness sounded like it was going to explode. So then I brought a new kit with built in canbus and digital ballasts. They stay on when engine has started but then flicker again.

Going to take it to a garage as the car is anoyin me.

I no this don't realy help but don't go buyin loads off stuff off eBay as it didn't work on mine.
Graham
ging6996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 05:08   #7
crs40

Hi guys,

Thank you so much for your responses. Guru, yours helped us out a lot. I wanted to reply sooner but I hadn't used the computer since wednesday.

We finally got the lights to work. We grounded them separately and also bought cancellors for them. I do not remember if the ballasts were digital or not. We got them working on thursday and they have been working fine.

We took apart the wiper motor and haven't had good look fixing it. Visually we could not tell if there were any blown chips and we did not had the time to take the circuit boards to get them tested. Now every shop is closed until January 3rd so we will have to wait. thankfully summer just started here so there are virtually no rains, plus we rainx-ed the windshield just in case.

Happy holidays to all of you and thanks!!

Albert
crs40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2010, 18:09   #8
Guru
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crs40 View Post
We finally got the lights to work. We grounded them separately
Glad to know you at least got the lights sorted out.

Could you please tell us where you grounded them as there has been a debate on the most suitable alternative location, thanks.
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 14:52   #9
command

you car origianl is Halogen ,so when you fit aftermarket xenon hid kit, this volvo car computer (CPU) Will warning.

I suggest you do not choose aftermarket HID kit retrofit, you can change to high bright H7 halogen bulb. Can improve your light output.

PS.Volvo S40 oem xenon part like this.

http://www.oemxenonpart.com/Volvo-S4...1S-Ballast.htm
command is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2011, 19:02   #10
tayandre

The website is worth a look for the bad english alone - it most funny amusing historical of situation incredible! I'd be very wary doing any business with them.

"And wish these car owners already solved the problem after get our parts can join in and help us do advertisement of this website. To let more and more car owners can have chance to get best price and performance ratio from here and solve their problems."
tayandre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tayandre For This Useful Post: