Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

4 Buttons - Center Console Black to Chrome

Views : 2294

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2011, 20:31   #1
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Default 4 Buttons - Center Console Black to Chrome

Okay here it is,

I went and purchased a new center console section (the bit with all the buttons). The one I have at the moment has only got the black buttons (4 big ones for Volume, Tuning, Fans and Temp).

I really thought this would be such a simple easy MOD/Update/Upgrade by swapping old console out and new console in - this was not to be the case. Stripped the floating dash apart, removed all the screws and bits and pieces only to find once I'd put the whole lot together again that it didn't work!!

As you can imagine slightly miffed at this point and thought I must not have pushed a connector in properly or something, I got lights from the screen but it wouldn't turn on the Stereo nor would it change the temp/fans etc... Anyway, so I strips the floating console down again and checked connections but to no avail, it still wouldn't play. The car is currently in bits and it has got too dark to see what I'm doing now so I'll return to it in the morning.

Are these center console sections (all the button) paired to the car thus only working in the car they were originally installed in? If so this is bonkers! Can't see why a few buttons would need to be security paired to the car. There is however a chance that the center console I've bought is faulty as it was from a dismantlers and off a 2009 car and mine is 2004, is it possible they are just incompatable with each other?

The only difference I can see is my original buttons the top right button next to eject says 'CD' and on the 2009 console it says 'MODE' but apart from that they are identical. As a last resort can I just change the 4 large buttons so I can have the Chrome ones on my console?? After all this is all I wanted in the first place.

Any thoughts anyone, all comments appreciated.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 20:46   #2
jasonb
In the mood for change!

I read a post that basically said you could insert string behind the large buttons and pull them off.
As for compatibility, I would be interested to find out your results since I wanted to do this very mod!
For now I have the carbon Worx covers but to be honest, they look cheap!!
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 21:04   #3
Lee '71

I can help as I've done this mod to my own car. My 2006 V50 had the plain black buttons and I bought a unit with the chrome ones and the units are not coded to the car as mine works fully. Bythe sounds of it your unit is probably faulty I'm afraid.

Originally I asked my local dealer if I could just swop buttons and they said no you can't and you can't buy just the buttons either.

Do you have heated front seats as I have a spare unit with chrome buttons but no heated seat butons if you're interested?
Lee '71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 21:45   #4
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee '71 View Post
I can help as I've done this mod to my own car. My 2006 V50 had the plain black buttons and I bought a unit with the chrome ones and the units are not coded to the car as mine works fully. Bythe sounds of it your unit is probably faulty I'm afraid.

Originally I asked my local dealer if I could just swop buttons and they said no you can't and you can't buy just the buttons either.

Do you have heated front seats as I have a spare unit with chrome buttons but no heated seat butons if you're interested?
Many thanks for the offer Lee, I do have front heated seats though.

In the last while I have now been looking at both the old and new unit in the house and fiddling as you do.

I can now confirm that the buttons are able to be taken off and swapped over. I have just completed the task and plugged the bits into the connectors on the car to check they work (without putting the floating console all back together). Et Voila!!! All working fully and completely as it should.

So basically I have stripped both consoles apart removed the 6 x little silver screws, taken the back cover off, removed the big buttons off old and new consoles, removed both circuit boards (just come out after buttons removed), put my (old) circuit board into new console and put chrom buttons on, refiit the back cover and then insert the screws, plugged it into car and all buttons work perfect.

So it is able to done just swapping buttons, I'll still get back on to the dismantlers and seek a refund for what must be a fauly console.

I will knock up a quick how 2 guide for anyone that is interested.

Old Oct 14th, 2011, 22:37   #5
C30 Driver

Hi Brian, the part is not coded so yes you have a dud.

As you now know it is a walk in the park as the say to change just the knobs.

If I had of known you were after those knobs I could have sorted you out with them.
C30 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2011, 23:18   #6
SonyVaio
VOC Member

No worries Joe,

I am on the lookout for R-Design side skirts if you come across any. I put the last bits of trim on and am well happy, the chrome stereo knobs just finish rthe job off nicely.

I'm going to throw together a wee guide for them knobs for anyone else that wants to give them a go. Easy job really, a little fiddly more than being being difficult.

Old Oct 15th, 2011, 00:58   #7
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Default How2 Guide for Stereo Knob Replacement

With a bit of luck there should be a .pdf guide attached with a How2 on the stereo knob replacement.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf V50 Stereo Knob Replacement.pdf (658.9 KB, 152 views)

Last edited by SonyVaio; Oct 15th, 2011 at 01:17.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 10:57   #8
timtopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by C30 Driver View Post
Hi Brian, the part is not coded so yes you have a dud.

As you now know it is a walk in the park as the say to change just the knobs.

If I had of known you were after those knobs I could have sorted you out with them.
I'd like some knobs (chuckle chuckle) if you have them for sale

Orange '99 V70 2.5D Auto
timtopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 15:06   #9
kebab10
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonyVaio View Post
With a bit of luck there should be a .pdf guide attached with a How2 on the stereo knob replacement.

Good guide there fella. Well done.
kebab10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2011, 20:10   #10
C30 Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtopping View Post
I'd like some knobs (chuckle chuckle) if you have them for sale
Sorry mate but jasonb pm'd me about them last night so I am getting them for him but if I come across any more of them I'll pm you.

If you look above Lee71 has some.
C30 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote